The Student Room Group

Should we close pubs?

Scroll to see replies

Morrissey once said it was the pub that wrecks your body, so they can close on that basis.

Where are the increase in the sickness from all the riots earlier this summer?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Morrissey once said it was the pub that wrecks your body, so they can close on that basis.

The protests/riots were outside so I think they are separate issues (although protests should be socially distanced at all time). Pubs are indoors and involve drunk people so they are more risky
Hmmm. On one hand, I want to say no. On the other hand though I want to go back to university at the end of this month and I'm worried that plan will get ruined if things start getting too out of hand, in which case I'd say yes, purely for my own selfish wants and needs. I've taken up day drinking at home out of misery so it makes no difference to me at that level if they are closed or open. Well apart from the food.
No. They should remain open with no silly restrictions. You cant really operate if you strictly enforce them, it kills the mood and lose customers in the process. Loads of pubs/clubs have closed due to No-smoking policy and competitive prices from supermarkets.

Pubs are good for the community, it brings people together and its good for the people who live alone and want to go out and see other people, have a chat, banter and a couple of drinks. Social distancing is pretty much pointless because its common manners to chat with people in close proximity and you also know others wont eat-wig on your conversations. To close them now would really end the pub-trade and we have always been a country about bringing people together through drinks and banter. I dont drink and hardly go to any pubs/clubs. But I want people to maintain their social life. Closing them down is closing down some peoples social life. Without them there are some people who will simply go depressed through isolation. Thats worse than a virus. Pandemic or not
Original post by anime&lt
No. They should remain open with no silly restrictions. You cant really operate if you strictly enforce them, it kills the mood and lose customers in the process. Loads of pubs/clubs have closed due to No-smoking policy and competitive prices from supermarkets.

Pubs are good for the community, it brings people together and its good for the people who live alone and want to go out and see other people, have a chat, banter and a couple of drinks. Social distancing is pretty much pointless because its common manners to chat with people in close proximity and you also know others wont eat-wig on your conversations. To close them now would really end the pub-trade and we have always been a country about bringing people together through drinks and banter. I dont drink and hardly go to any pubs/clubs. But I want people to maintain their social life. Closing them down is closing down some peoples social life. Without them there are some people who will simply go depressed through isolation. Thats worse than a virus. Pandemic or not

Are you serious? Wow. That’s insane. Social distancing is our best weapon against the virus right now. Getting a bunch of drunk people inside just to ‘maintain their social lives’ is a stupid idea right now
Original post by anime<3gaming

It kills the mood? FFS, poor taste.:colonhash:
Original post by anime<3gaming

What on earth is this paragraph?!
On the topic of common manners, 2 meters is more than enough to be considered ''close proximity'' and it is NOT bad manners to be conforming to social distancing rules. Bad manners would be not making eye contact with the person you are talking to. Please get your facts straight as you clearly have no idea about etiquette and social norms. 2 meters is not drastic of a distance for you to deem it as bad manners.
Adhering to government rules placed for your own safety is NOT silly whatsoever. I do have to commend the pubs that tried to include screens at the desk as a physical barrier. Although the sheer number of customers attending the pub is too much to handle or even place any social distancing in practice.
It's hilarious that you consider one's social life to be more important than the physical lives that could potentially and definitely be affected my reckless behaviour of drunk non conformists. Drinks can be purchased else where and are not limited to pubs.
As for you comment on those who live alone, there is already a rule placed by the government called 'support bubbles'. This is exclusively for those who live alone to maintain their social life by joining with another household so they don't feel alone during this difficult time. I should know because I am a single occupant who has formed a support bubble with another household!
For someone who says they don't drink you seem to hold strong and ridiculous views on this topic. If the Nation were to conform to your ideals there would be no end to this virus and you would then see the true importance of these 'silly restrictions' and how they are helping to save lives!
Pubs can wait until the virus has calmed down significantly before opening and just creating a far bigger infection rate than could ever be imagined. Get your priorities straight!
Original post by YourClassLiberal
Are you serious? Wow. That’s insane. Social distancing is our best weapon against the virus right now. Getting a bunch of drunk people inside just to ‘maintain their social lives’ is a stupid idea right now

You could lock everyone away for a year and still not be any better off and meanwhile the economy and the high street will collapse, as will a whole raft of other diseases that would kill people anyway even in the absence of Covid.
Original post by Mahanakhon
You could lock everyone away for a year and still not be any better off and meanwhile the economy and the high street will collapse, as will a whole raft of other diseases that would kill people anyway even in the absence of Covid.

So let’s just open everything and not do social distancing, yeah?
Original post by YourClassLiberal
So let’s just open everything and not do social distancing, yeah?

To be honest yeah, if after 4 months it hasn't improved then it probably wont. Perhaps if you want to pontificate over the lack of social distancing, do so against the blacks and commies that trashed our cities centres in June.
I’d close the pubs and probably restaurants too but have everything else open.
Original post by Mahanakhon

What you on about? People only die of Covid these days.
Reply 52
A fair point only if you actually address how this situation ends and what level of public money you're willing to spend to keep these businesses afloat.

Of course everything would be safer if we all just stayed in our homes and never went out, but that simply cannot continue in the long-term.
It will become more difficult to social distance in pubs once it gets colder in the evenings, as no-one will want to be outside other than for a cigarette. Of all the measures that will reduce transmission of the virus, it is the one that is easiest of all to enforce. Restaurants can stay open if pubs were to be shut.

I would close them. The rise in Covid 19 cases over the last fortnight overall seems to be most linked to this than all other possibilities. There is understandably a wish for schools to re-open and so something has to give.

Whether that will happen given that all the government decisions are taken by men is another matter. Men are more likely to go to the pub than women, and more likely to die if they catch Covid 19, but that will not influence Mr Johnson, who was reluctant to close them in the beginning, which probably cost many lives.
Reply 54
No.
Original post by Renner
No.

Why not?
Now closed in Aberdeen in response to rising cases linked to a pub. The SNP being prepared to act unlike the slow to respond government of Mr Johnson (Conservative in name only in my opinion).
Original post by barnetlad
Now closed in Aberdeen in response to rising cases linked to a pub. The SNP being prepared to act unlike the slow to respond government of Mr Johnson (Conservative in name only in my opinion).

Yep

I've cynically said for weeks we were opening too soon as it was ALL BASED ON UTTER BS DATA!, that and wishful money money money thinking. So now it;s looking pretty clear the UK will get Lockdown II, well done all those who really needed that pint or huige party or thought they were too pretty for a mask. Total Мудакs :mad:
EepEUtvWoAEVIm4.jpeg.jpg
I hope the resolution isn't poor.
Reply 59
Original post by TheStupidMoon

Isnt he a raging racist...?
Probably at home coughing into their soy mochas and other frivolous crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending