The Student Room Group

How do I find my passion/determination again?

For the past month or so, I've been feeling tired and lazy. Waking up early is a chore, sitting through classes is repetitive and monotonous.

It just feels like there's nothing new going on with my life.

I've lost interest in doing things I've loved to do, and I don't want to backslide into the bad place I was last year!

I've wanted to do a lot of fun stuff - in fact, there's more than three abandoned study schedules and extracurricular projects on the back burner, and a lot of piled-up schoolwork - but no matter how interesting or engaging the task seems, it feels like I'm doing nothing but wasting time...

Can someone give me simple pointers I can use to perk myself enough to get myself to do some work? Thanks!
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
1. Take a break. Get off your phone. Forget about your projects. Ignore your schoolwork. Just have one day (or two, or three) where you just relax. Go cycling or for a walk, do some running, read a book, meet up with friends... Just do whatever you like (ideally outside, as it's summer).

2. Make a list of everything you have to do. Everything. Even small things such as brushing teeth, picking up books off the floor, etc. You can also include big things; if possible, split them up into smaller goals. Cross off the things you're never going to do and forget about them. Once you've done something, cross it off the list.

Spoiler

3. Maybe take a phone break for a few days (i.e. all social media, TSR, emails, games...). It might be hard at first, but it will be worth it.

I hope this helps! These are just suggestions that work for me - if they don't work for you, that's completely fine!

Hi @thejoyfulgeek,

Thank you for your suggestions!

I can't immediately try out #1 because the lockdown regulations are pretty strict in my place, but I'll try to go to my terrace or something.

The second one seems like a great way to do things - I'll be sure to try it.

BTW, I've tried out bullet journalling and failed terribly - everyone else had really pretty journals and mine just looked so messy, lol. I'll retry it without worrying about that.

#3, I will certainly try. Maybe it will help me get a new perspective on things.

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question!
First of all, take all the advice given above, I think it is very helpful and I won't repeat it because that would be unnecessary.
I would like to add:
Whenever I'm feeling unmotivated to do my work, I always think about my goals. Do you want to live in NYC, Paris, Milan..do you want to have a job you love, live in an incredible apartment, have children. I usually go on Pinterest and make a sort of 'dream life moodboard' and use it to motivate myself into working, which I see as the key to my dream life!
I'm always happy to help! It didn't take long to answer - I know how it feels when you can't do anything.

I'm sorry that you can't go outside, but I hope your lockdown ends soon! Whereabouts are you? (I'm in London, so free!(ish))

India - lockdown regulations are not very strict, but the rate of cases are rising every day almost exponentially in my area, so I'm putting my health before my desire to go outside lol
Original post by Anonymous
First of all, take all the advice given above, I think it is very helpful and I won't repeat it because that would be unnecessary.
I would like to add:
Whenever I'm feeling unmotivated to do my work, I always think about my goals. Do you want to live in NYC, Paris, Milan..do you want to have a job you love, live in an incredible apartment, have children. I usually go on Pinterest and make a sort of 'dream life moodboard' and use it to motivate myself into working, which I see as the key to my dream life!

That sounds great! I'll definitely try it out today!:smile:

Thank you for your advice!
Original post by greyshoesunite
That sounds great! I'll definitely try it out today!:smile:

Thank you for your advice!

No problem! I really hope it works out for you and if you need any more help you can come back here or you could perhaps try and find a therapist? :smile:
No problem! I really hope it works out for you and if you need any more help you can come back here or you could perhaps try and find a therapist? :smile:

Right now things have been going good for two weeks, so I'm feeling confident things could go well - right now, anyway. Who knows where I'll be three weeks later :biggrin:

Though I've thought about therapy, I sadly can't afford therapy. I'm a high school student and my family doesn't believe in mental illness and therapists anyway...it's hard, but I'm pushing through.
Right now things have been going good for two weeks, so I'm feeling confident things could go well - right now, anyway. Who knows where I'll be three weeks later :biggrin:

Though I've thought about therapy, I sadly can't afford therapy. I'm a high school student and my family doesn't believe in mental illness and therapists anyway...it's hard, but I'm pushing through.

PS (I'm Anonymous 1, initially didn't mean to put myself on anon but then I thought it would be confusing if I came off it.)

Yay I'm so so happy you're feeling better at the moment, I'm so proud of you:h:Just know that improving your mental health is a journey of ups and downs, some days you'll feel awful and some days amazing, but with your progressive attitude I 10000% believe that you will be in a position one day soon where your mental health isn't holding you back! You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to, but make sure to go easy on yourself. Some days it will be really hard to focus and get work done, and that's okay, you're human and I promise you'll be fine.

I'm sorry your parents have that mindset, is there no one at school you can talk to (eg. school counsellors?). Also if you ever need to talk my dms are open. :hugs:
Adding to this, anyone on TSR would be happy to talk to you too! It's a really supportive community, with lots of amazing people such as @chloenix!

I understand what you mean about having parents who are against therapy - my parents are the same.

Chloe's advice is awesome and you should definitely listen to them!

Not as relevant, but if you're in High School, you'll soon be off to uni and then free! Or are you expected to stay with your parents whilst at uni in India? What do you want to study in the future? Or do you want to do something that isn't uni @greyshoesunite?

I'm new to TSR, so it's nice to hear that there's someone always ready to help - I feel warmly welcomed!

I have gotten a journal and am planning to start journalling from tomorrow, and I am working on a moodboard of sorts of my future dreams and ambitions. By tomorrow, I hope to be a little more determined than I am today!

Yay for Uni! I've heard so many good things about it, and to be honest on some days the idea of getting away from my old life and starting a new one on my own keeps me going. My parents do expect me to stay with them, but I'm planning to wear them down and at least go live in a hostel somewhere in the city (we're officially part of the city but it's huge, so getting to the city centre often takes three hours lol). I'm also thinking of going to a college close to home (somewhere in the same state or district) so that I can visit on weekends.

I actually don't know what I want to study...I know it's sort of scandalous for me to admit that, seeing as every other person my age whom I know seems to have their future completely decided for them (also I'm an Indian, so....yeah.)

I did have plans but the person I am now has wildly different priorities than the old one. Just planning to go for something that will keep me interested and ready to learn, even if it doesn't translate to a stable, employable job.
Original post by chloenix
PS (I'm Anonymous 1, initially didn't mean to put myself on anon but then I thought it would be confusing if I came off it.)

Yay I'm so so happy you're feeling better at the moment, I'm so proud of you:h:Just know that improving your mental health is a journey of ups and downs, some days you'll feel awful and some days amazing, but with your progressive attitude I 10000% believe that you will be in a position one day soon where your mental health isn't holding you back! You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to, but make sure to go easy on yourself. Some days it will be really hard to focus and get work done, and that's okay, you're human and I promise you'll be fine.

I'm sorry your parents have that mindset, is there no one at school you can talk to (eg. school counsellors?). Also if you ever need to talk my dms are open. :hugs:

No, no counsellors - my school is a small one. I do have a few teachers I could talk to, but I'm reluctant to reach out because of other personal issues...

Some days it feels like I can't find the energy to believe in myself, so the fact that someone out there does means so much more than I can even try and put into words. 😄
start with taking a few days of doing nothing - relax, watch a some films/tv shows and catch up on your sleep. it’s important you’re giving your body enough sleep and not stressing/worrying too much about things. then after a few days are so come up with a plan. write done everything you need to do even if it’s something small. you could even make a schedule but don’t make it too strict, you don’t need to stick to it. however, it will allow you too have some structure and will decrease stress levels since you know what you need too do and when it needs to be completed. it can be hard to find something to motivate yourself, but whatever it is will come to you soon. make sure you’re getting enough sleep, drinking & eating enough. look after yourself first before anything else. stay safe. if you need anything you can always pm me! have a great day :smile:
Adding to this, anyone on TSR would be happy to talk to you too! It's a really supportive community, with lots of amazing people such as @chloenix!

I understand what you mean about having parents who are against therapy - my parents are the same.

Chloe's advice is awesome and you should definitely listen to them!

Not as relevant, but if you're in High School, you'll soon be off to uni and then free! Or are you expected to stay with your parents whilst at uni in India? What do you want to study in the future? Or do you want to do something that isn't uni @greyshoesunite?

Thank you that's so kind of you! Your advice is great too! I definitely think that uni (or independent life in general) is an escape, a place to start fresh and find a new and healthy mindset!
No, no counsellors - my school is a small one. I do have a few teachers I could talk to, but I'm reluctant to reach out because of other personal issues...

Some days it feels like I can't find the energy to believe in myself, so the fact that someone out there does means so much more than I can even try and put into words. 😄

Oh that's a shame, but yes I, and everyone else on this thread believes in you. I would bet all my savings that you will feel better and find yourself. Sending all my love:tongue:
Thank you that's so kind of you! Your advice is great too! I definitely think that uni (or independent life in general) is an escape, a place to start fresh and find a new and healthy mindset!

Oh that's a shame, but yes I, and everyone else on this thread believes in you. I would bet all my savings that you will feel better and find yourself. Sending all my love:tongue:

Oh sh*t it went on anon again haha!
Original post by Libbyc16
start with taking a few days of doing nothing - relax, watch a some films/tv shows and catch up on your sleep. it’s important you’re giving your body enough sleep and not stressing/worrying too much about things. then after a few days are so come up with a plan. write done everything you need to do even if it’s something small. you could even make a schedule but don’t make it too strict, you don’t need to stick to it. however, it will allow you too have some structure and will decrease stress levels since you know what you need too do and when it needs to be completed. it can be hard to find something to motivate yourself, but whatever it is will come to you soon. make sure you’re getting enough sleep, drinking & eating enough. look after yourself first before anything else. stay safe. if you need anything you can always pm me! have a great day :smile:

I have had bouts of insomnia and my food/sleep schedule at the moment is "eat/sleep whenever my brain feels like it" so I should probably right that lol

I don't think a complete break is possible, seeing as my schoolwork is slowly increasing in quantity...but I am planning more frequent breaks between my work and catching some fresh air whenever possible. I'll try my best!

Thanks ever so much for your suggestions!

Thank you for believing in me - it feels great to know that there's somebody on my side! 🥰
I have had bouts of insomnia and my food/sleep schedule at the moment is "eat/sleep whenever my brain feels like it" so I should probably right that lol

I don't think a complete break is possible, seeing as my schoolwork is slowly increasing in quantity...but I am planning more frequent breaks between my work and catching some fresh air whenever possible. I'll try my best!

Thanks ever so much for your suggestions!

it’s gonna be okay, you will get through this!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest