The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi all. I'm considering applying for GEM 2022 entry. I only recently discovered that there are funding options for Medicine as a second degree, so that has been something of a revelation!

I'm currently a 2nd year PhD student in a niche field of applied physics and ecology. I have a BSc in Environmental Sciences (1st), and A*AAB (Biology/Psychology/English Lit./Chemistry) at A-level. I'm a little worried that the entry requirements for GEM will change to render my B in Chemistry insufficient... But I suppose time will tell. St Andrews (ScotGEM) would be my first choice, as I'm keen on remote and rural medicine, and would like to stay in Scotland.

It's interesting to see how much the UCAS 'landscape' has changed in the time since I applied for my undergrad. Medicine in Clearing - who would've thunk it!
That makes sense, thank you.
I want to do GEM and im about to start my 2nd year of uni. Pretty much all GEM courses require A Level Chemistry and most Biology. Is it wise to try and privately try to do A Level Chemistry somehow? Idk if its possible to skip AS Chem or if I have to sort out AS chem this year and do A level chem in 3rd year. Should I try to do Biology Alevel too? I have Maths Physics and Geography at alevel at ABB and do MEng (so 4 year course) Aerospace Engineering which has small components of chemistry in it like structures, materials and the very basics of chemistry.

Whats the plan guys?
Original post by I ASK QUESTIONS
I want to do GEM and im about to start my 2nd year of uni. Pretty much all GEM courses require A Level Chemistry and most Biology. Is it wise to try and privately try to do A Level Chemistry somehow? Idk if its possible to skip AS Chem or if I have to sort out AS chem this year and do A level chem in 3rd year. Should I try to do Biology Alevel too? I have Maths Physics and Geography at alevel at ABB and do MEng (so 4 year course) Aerospace Engineering which has small components of chemistry in it like structures, materials and the very basics of chemistry.

Whats the plan guys?

There are many GEM courses that do not require A levels in specific subjects - Newcastle, Scotgem, Notts, Swansea, Warwick, SGUL, Southampton. I'm not sure on Oxford's requirements. A levels as a private candidate are very expensive due to the practical endorsement necessity. I would recommend focussing on UCAT / GAMSAT.
@syzygy_ selling is not allowed on TSR. Plus it's a bit spammy to post the same thing on multiple threads. @ecolier

I'm sure there's loads of people who would benefit from your experience tho if you felt like chipping in, esp in the GAMSAT thread.
well errrrr i want to do the 4 year Mpharm and do my 1 year training in a hospital (so a bit of clinical experience) and then get a post-grad in a related subject (pharmaceutical science/bio-pharmaceutics) that will get me into lab research (drug/clinical trials), sooooo ion think i should be here :colonhash:
Hey what's up guys, I'm JonkMoon, planning on applying for GEM 2022. Currently studying Neuroscience (Single Honours), the university is ok in terms of ranking not great though.Currently only have around 6 weeks worth of work experience. Need to do some more within this year and some academic stuff also. Planning on applying to:
-Oxford
-Kings College London
-Warwick
-Newcastle
Original post by jzdzm
There are many GEM courses that do not require A levels in specific subjects - Newcastle, Scotgem, Notts, Swansea, Warwick, SGUL, Southampton. I'm not sure on Oxford's requirements. A levels as a private candidate are very expensive due to the practical endorsement necessity. I would recommend focussing on UCAT / GAMSAT.

Sounds solid. If it makes any difference, cost isn't really much of a problem as imo i'd be willing to invest if it means i'll have a better chance, even if some unis don't require it, surely it would help if I was to apply to Warwick for example. I think i'm going to try and get work experience in care as Warwick seems to have a minimum 70 hours "full time work experience" in healthcare environment requirement. How do they actually check this? I'm not sure how I go about applying to the NHS for work, given I'm a first year engineer :s-smilie:/. I have also started looking into UCAT and honestly doesn't seem that hard, GAMSAT and BMAT on the other hand seems much more difficult.
Original post by I ASK QUESTIONS
Sounds solid. If it makes any difference, cost isn't really much of a problem as imo i'd be willing to invest if it means i'll have a better chance, even if some unis don't require it, surely it would help if I was to apply to Warwick for example. I think i'm going to try and get work experience in care as Warwick seems to have a minimum 70 hours "full time work experience" in healthcare environment requirement. How do they actually check this? I'm not sure how I go about applying to the NHS for work, given I'm a first year engineer :s-smilie:/. I have also started looking into UCAT and honestly doesn't seem that hard, GAMSAT and BMAT on the other hand seems much more difficult.

An A level that a university doesn't require will have no benefit for your application - they won't look at it. Warwick ask you to send in details of your work exp with letters from employers / references, and then offer interviews based on meeting the 70 hrs and your UCAT score. Having A level bio / chem will not make any difference.

The only time it will make a difference is if you want to apply somewhere that requires it (Cambridge and QMUL spring to mind, poss Oxford, but I think that's all so not that many places).
Hey guys I’m in my first year of MPharm and I’d like to do GEM. Can someone please advise me on what sort of stats am I supposed to have for unis like kings, oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, imperial, Swansea ? A-Level grades, GCSEs, Experience, Extra Qualifications, work experience abroad?, extracurricular.
Do they accept a-level retakes? Is there a limit on how many?
What sort of scores do they require for the UCAT/GAMSAT exams?
Does it matter if I’m doing my pharmacy degree at a non-Russel group?
Any advice/tips/websites/courses i can check out to expand my portfolio?

Any help is much appreciated thanks! 😁
Original post by AgentProton007
Hey guys I’m in my first year of MPharm and I’d like to do GEM. Can someone please advise me on what sort of stats am I supposed to have for unis like kings, oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, imperial, Swansea ? A-Level grades, GCSEs, Experience, Extra Qualifications, work experience abroad?, extracurricular.

Any help is much appreciated thanks! 😁

The Medical Schools Council website has this tool which allows you to see the entry requirements for each university :smile: you can use the tab towards the top of the page to show GEM only.
Original post by AgentProton007

This is a very broad set of questions that is probably best answered through google / university websites / medicportal / other resources that google will bring up. If you have any more specific questions to ask, then people here may be able to help.

(Original post by AgentProton007)

No, which uni you're at doesn't matter at all. The best thing you can do to increase your chances of doing well at interview is get some relevant work experience and reflect on it.
Original post by SquareWave
The Medical Schools Council website has this tool which allows you to see the entry requirements for each university :smile: you can use the tab towards the top of the page to show GEM only.

Original post by jzdzm
This is a very broad set of questions that is probably best answered through google / university websites / medicportal / other resources that google will bring up. If you have any more specific questions to ask, then people here may be able to help.

(Original post by AgentProton007)

No, which uni you're at doesn't matter at all. The best thing you can do to increase your chances of doing well at interview is get some relevant work experience and reflect on it.

Thank you!
Reply 53
Original post by 98TM
Hi, I am going into my 4th year of pharmacy this september then pre-reg the following year and am also looking to apply for GEM 2022, I havent figured out what uni i want to apply for yet but looking into kings, warwick and birmingham, i will also be applying for the undergraduate 5 year course to maximise my chance of getting in!good luck with your entry!

Hey I'm the same here, I've just finished third year and thinking to apply to postgraduate GEM. Are you planning on completing your prereg and registering first? And what sort of work experience are you looking to do?
Reply 54
Original post by tjm0
Hi all,

I'm a new poster on the student room and I am also well in advance - so please be kind!

I know I'm pretty early but I thought I'd make a thread for GEM 2022 applicants. Due to the timing of this thread being pretty early on I'm not expecting a huge amount of traffic for a few years, but it's time will hopefully come!

If you're interested in applying for the 2022 entry please feel free to introduce yourself with any information you deem relevant (degree, work experience, grades etc etc).

I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Thomas, I'm 19. I've just finished my 1st year of my "BSc Hons Human Biology". I've finished it with an average of a low 1st class (although it doesn't get recorded). I've got a few jobs at the moment. I work as a key support worker for hospital outpatients through university term time. During term time I also lifeguard and teach swimming to younger kids and teens. I have hands on care experience in many NHS establishments alongside other things I'll keep to myself for now.

At the moment I plan on applying to St Andrews, Nottingham, Liverpool and other GAMSAT universities.

Feel free to message me and reply to the thread if you're in a similar situation to me and we all can make friends and share info!

I've got a few questions myself so if anyone feels fairly qualified to answer please do!

-Can you take the GAMSAT twice and chose your best grade? If so is it time/finance worthy?
-Any general GAMSAT tips - I've just started to look into it and it is very overwhelming with a lack of resource?!
-Any idea what the 'questionnaire' involves that some unis hand out?

Thanks guys! :smile:

Hey,
Im 21 years old and just finished third year pharmacy, I'm looking into GEM and I don't even know where to start. I'm thinking to apply during my pre-reg year this way I will be a registered pharmacist. I only have experience in a community pharmacy, I had work experience lined up for a hospital pharmacy, unfortunately due to covid I had to cancel it and I don't have much more clinical experience.

Does anyone have any advice on experience? Where should I be looking, I've volunteered with the Alzheimer's society in the past which has involved hosting sessions in a care home. I'm aiming to do my pre-reg in a hospital if all goes well.
And does anyone have guidance on what to do for applications, such as the UCAT and GAMSAT?

Any help would be appreciated!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 55
Thank you! I was aware of the UCAT only being for a year but I don't know much about the GAMSAT. How long does this last for?
Reply 56
Thank you so much! I've only just started looking into GEM so this helps a lot
Hi everyone. I’m going to be applying to GEM 2022 with a Biomed degree from Northumbria. I was meant to apply this year but I sat my UCAT yesterday and absolutely bombed it so I can’t apply anywhere this year lol. I’m hopeful for next year though!
I’m going into my final year of my degree, predicted a high first. I only have GCSE’s in English and maths (C) and I have a level 2 and level 3 BTEC in health and social care at grade D*DD.
I have 18 months volunteering on a renal and gastro ward, I have 40 hours shadowing in A&E and 2 full days in a GP surgery as well as a few other bits here and there.
I’ll be applying to Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and QMUL!
So great to see a thread this far in advance, it’s helpful for someone like me who yesterday thought all was lost. But seeing a 2022 thread makes me feel like there’s hope. Sounds daft but yeah :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by ginabpk
Hi everyone. I’m going to be applying to GEM 2022 with a Biomed degree from Northumbria. I was meant to apply this year but I sat my UCAT yesterday and absolutely bombed it so I can’t apply anywhere this year lol. I’m hopeful for next year though!
I’m going into my final year of my degree, predicted a high first. I only have GCSE’s in English and maths (C) and I have a level 2 and level 3 BTEC in health and social care at grade D*DD.
I have 18 months volunteering on a renal and gastro ward, I have 40 hours shadowing in A&E and 2 full days in a GP surgery as well as a few other bits here and there.
I’ll be applying to Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and QMUL!
So great to see a thread this far in advance, it’s helpful for someone like me who yesterday thought all was lost. But seeing a 2022 thread makes me feel like there’s hope. Sounds daft but yeah :smile:

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your application, but don't lose hope! You sound as if you've got a lot of experience under your belt - well done! I've booked into the GAMSAT for September and honestly I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed; I'll be sitting the UCAT next summer before I go into 4th year of uni.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get experience in a GP? I've found it pretty tricky to get some.
Original post by tjm0
Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your application, but don't lose hope! You sound as if you've got a lot of experience under your belt - well done! I've booked into the GAMSAT for September and honestly I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed; I'll be sitting the UCAT next summer before I go into 4th year of uni.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get experience in a GP? I've found it pretty tricky to get some.

Thank you, I appreciate that :smile: I was destroyed as applying this year has been in the works for about 6 years since I was in college, but it wasn’t meant to be this year and there is always next year with you lovely people :smile:
I was going to sit the GAMSAT last year but like you, I found it incredibly overwhelming especially alongside my degree, so I cancelled, but I’m considering doing it next year once my degree has finished, but it’s an expensive exam so I’ll have to think about it.

Regarding the GP, I just emailed my practice group and they were okay with me shadowing as long as I could prove I was applying for med school and they wanted a predicted grade from uni. I was pretty lucky to get the placement as I know they are quite hard to come by, but don’t give up on getting some GP experience as I found it invaluable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending