The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
[QUOTE="Bootleg22;90209608"]Great score, what did you score on the m
Original post by melon_bomb
Just did my test today in a centre, scored:
VR 820
DM 710 (was kinda annoyed about that, but my pen ran out pretty early on in the section and I had to get a new one - check your pens!!)
QR: 870
AR: 900
Band 1
If you have questions then you can go for it

Can I borrow your head? That’s a joke. Nice one. I am sure you worked hard for it. I am not doing good with my prep. Not sure what else to do. Waiting patiently for 15th
Original post by Bootleg22
How did you do on Medify VR?

Normally around 800s too. I had a couple of harder ones where I scored 700, and a couple of times I scored 890/900. I find it pretty variable, and I think your mindset plays a massive part as well - being ready to scan, prepared to flag and skip, and keeping your technique present in your mind. Also, don't panic!
Original post by Tukays
Original post by Bootleg22
Great score, what did you score on the m

Can I borrow your head? That’s a joke. Nice one. I am sure you worked hard for it. I am not doing good with my prep. Not sure what else to do. Waiting patiently for 15th

Ahaha don't worry I'm sure you'll do fine, and if not remember it isn't the end of the world.
Is it awkward doing it at home with the supervisor staring into your soul ?
Original post by b3rfin11
For VR, were the passages longer?

the passages were all just long in general, as in there wasn’t much variation between long and short passages.
Just did my test today in a centre, scored:
VR 820
DM 710 (was kinda annoyed about that, but my pen ran out pretty early on in the section and I had to get a new one - check your pens!!)
QR: 870
AR: 900
Band 1
If you have questions then you can go for it

what is your strategy for VR?
I've been constantly getting from 630 to 750 with the average being around 670 and I just thought that's fine cause my other scores (maybe apart from AR) will bring my overall score a bit higher, but now with all the people saying how hard VR is, I'm thinking that I might score even lower :frown:
Reply 46
For anyone who did the test at a centre, were you able to move the calculator around the screen to stop it blocking part of the question on the screen? As the calculator was bigger than the one on the practice tests, so even when I moved it around, it blocked part of the question in QR. Please let me know if this happened with you? Thanks.
Original post by GN2020
For anyone who did the test at a centre, were you able to move the calculator around the screen to stop it blocking part of the question on the screen? As the calculator was bigger than the one on the practice tests, so even when I moved it around, it blocked part of the question in QR. Please let me know if this happened with you? Thanks.

It did block it but you can just close the calculator and then bring it back up.
Original post by VanillaCream
what is your strategy for VR?
I've been constantly getting from 630 to 750 with the average being around 670 and I just thought that's fine cause my other scores (maybe apart from AR) will bring my overall score a bit higher, but now with all the people saying how hard VR is, I'm thinking that I might score even lower :frown:

My technique is to first read the question and choose a key word, preferably something that would be easy to spot like an acronym, number, date or capitalised word. Then, I dive into the passage to try to find it by skim-reading. That's the bit you can try to speed up through practice. Once I've found it, I read around it to try to find the answer. This works for most question types, except the ones where it's asking for example "which of these is most likely to be false" or "which of these is a valid conclusion to the passage." In cases like these, you need to find a keyword in each of the answer options and then scan for it in the text. This obviously takes longer, so if the answer options are particularly long or it's taking you a while, these are the sort of questions to flag and skip. Other little tips are, when you're testing different conclusions against the text, try to start with the smaller statements. They're easier to hold in your mind and test than the longer ones, and if need be you can eliminate them and then guess from the remaining options. Also, if a question has a hard qualifier, like all or never or must, it's more likely to be false or can't tell than true.
My technique is to first read the question and choose a key word, preferably something that would be easy to spot like an acronym, number, date or capitalised word. Then, I dive into the passage to try to find it by skim-reading. That's the bit you can try to speed up through practice. Once I've found it, I read around it to try to find the answer. This works for most question types, except the ones where it's asking for example "which of these is most likely to be false" or "which of these is a valid conclusion to the passage." In cases like these, you need to find a keyword in each of the answer options and then scan for it in the text. This obviously takes longer, so if the answer options are particularly long or it's taking you a while, these are the sort of questions to flag and skip. Other little tips are, when you're testing different conclusions against the text, try to start with the smaller statements. They're easier to hold in your mind and test than the longer ones, and if need be you can eliminate them and then guess from the remaining options. Also, if a question has a hard qualifier, like all or never or must, it's more likely to be false or can't tell than true.

thank you so much!
what would you say could be a good practice for skim-reading? many people say that they read articles, but I'm not sure if that is helpful to me, is there any other way?
Original post by VanillaCream
thank you so much!
what would you say could be a good practice for skim-reading? many people say that they read articles, but I'm not sure if that is helpful to me, is there any other way?

I think there are certain skim-reading trainers online? Definitely worth a google. If you have a really dense sciencey book as well just give that a read - don't try to skim it, but just forging through that every night should help you. Primarily, though, just practice on UCAT practice questions. True false can't tell can be good for skim practice because it's generally easier to find a single keyword. Consciously identify the key word in your mind, then dive into the passage. Don't miss out the beginning and end! A lot of folk dive straight into the middle. Look for a keyword that should stand out - you really shouldn't be reading the actual content of the passage, just looking for that clue. For example, I literally did my test today but for the life of my I can only remember what one passage was about, and even then I can't remember much content. I have no clue what the other 10 passages were about, I just hunted down specific words inside them.
I think there are certain skim-reading trainers online? Definitely worth a google. If you have a really dense sciencey book as well just give that a read - don't try to skim it, but just forging through that every night should help you. Primarily, though, just practice on UCAT practice questions. True false can't tell can be good for skim practice because it's generally easier to find a single keyword. Consciously identify the key word in your mind, then dive into the passage. Don't miss out the beginning and end! A lot of folk dive straight into the middle. Look for a keyword that should stand out - you really shouldn't be reading the actual content of the passage, just looking for that clue. For example, I literally did my test today but for the life of my I can only remember what one passage was about, and even then I can't remember much content. I have no clue what the other 10 passages were about, I just hunted down specific words inside them.

okay, thank you so much!!
Normally around 800s too. I had a couple of harder ones where I scored 700, and a couple of times I scored 890/900. I find it pretty variable, and I think your mindset plays a massive part as well - being ready to scan, prepared to flag and skip, and keeping your technique present in your mind. Also, don't panic!

Did you also use official ucat practice questions and official ucat mocks for VR or did you just use medify?
Reply 53
Did the UCAT yesterday
VR 570
DM 710
QR 650
AR 610
Disappointed with VR and AR as I was scoring much higher in the mocks with an average of 700-750 and I really thought I got a lot of AR right. VR was a nightmare (very long texts).
I sat the exam at a pearson exam center and the computer was lagging between each question sooo annoying, anyway it's done, next A level results day and the BMAT!
Question : does anybody know how they score on the day as every test is different ithe scoring may also be different for each test?
Good luck to everyone with their UCAT!
Original post by Tatsor
Did the UCAT yesterday
VR 570
DM 710
QR 650
AR 610
Disappointed with VR and AR as I was scoring much higher in the mocks with an average of 700-750 and I really thought I got a lot of AR right. VR was a nightmare (very long texts).
I sat the exam at a pearson exam center and the computer was lagging between each question sooo annoying, anyway it's done, next A level results day and the BMAT!
Question : does anybody know how they score on the day as every test is different ithe scoring may also be different for each test?
Good luck to everyone with their UCAT!

You should be proud those are good scores and will still make you competitive in some unis

Also just wondering are you a yr 13 student who has taken ucat twice. Because you were talking about a-level results day
Reply 55
Original post by Elissamoor123
You should be proud those are good scores and will still make you competitive in some unis

Also just wondering are you a yr 13 student who has taken ucat twice. Because you were talking about a-level results day

Yes it is for me the second time I take the UCAT
Original post by Tatsor
Yes it is for me the second time I take the UCAT

are u taking exams in the autumn time then with your application or summer time 2021.

Also how did it feel preparing for the second time, did you feel you got much better and how long did you prepare for?
Original post by Remi2309
Did you also use official ucat practice questions and official ucat mocks for VR or did you just use medify?

I also did all the official UCAT mocks and banks - I'd really recommend it if you have the time. I tended to score high 700s in VR for those, and in general they are considered harder than the real thing (though not everyone agrees).
I also did all the official UCAT mocks and banks - I'd really recommend it if you have the time. I tended to score high 700s in VR for those, and in general they are considered harder than the real thing (though not everyone agrees).

Are those all the resources you used? medify and ucat official? thanks
Also was wondering if anyone here has taken it who has used MedEntry and is able to compare them in terms of difficulty? I'm scoring consistently higher on medify mocks than MedEntry ones :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending