The Student Room Group

student loan vs jobs

is getting a student loan worth it considering you may not get a job due to covid 19 recession
Original post by Anonymous
is getting a student loan worth it considering you may not get a job due to covid 19 recession

do you need the extra money?

If you need the money to get through your course then get the student loan.
All it means if you don't get a good job is that you will not be paying it back and it will be written off after 30 years.

Actually 83% of student loans are never paid off in full anyway.. just look at it as an extra tax once you salary goes over that certain level .. and it's just the tax on the amount earned above that level not your full earnings
Reply 3
Original post by Anonnorth
If you need the money to get through your course then get the student loan.
All it means if you don't get a good job is that you will not be paying it back and it will be written off after 30 years.

Actually 83% of student loans are never paid off in full anyway.. just look at it as an extra tax once you salary goes over that certain level .. and it's just the tax on the amount earned above that level not your full earnings

the law can change at any time though
the law can change at any time though

Only for new loans, if ever the rules on this change it would never be for loans already in existence
Reply 5

well it depends on whether you can pay for stuff yourself without a loan.
Reply 6
Original post by mgi
well it depends on whether you can pay for stuff yourself without a loan.

Im talking about university fee loans
Reply 7
Original post by rayshow053
I believe it's perfectly reasonable for a poster to want to see a worked example of what happens if a student takes a maintenance loans. Remember that student/maintenance loans are totally personal and based on the graduate's own income and nothing else. More info on loans by link

you didnt answer the question
Every person I know that went to uni got alone at our age it’s hard to work more than part-time with college etc + the money isn’t that great so even with working u still with have to get a loan unless your parents are helping u. I would much rather get a loan and then pay it back gradually.
Every person I know that went to uni got alone at our age it’s hard to work more than part-time with college etc + the money isn’t that great so even with working u still with have to get a loan unless your parents are helping u. I would rather get a loan and then pay it back gradually.

Stupid autocorrect a loan ** aha
Im talking about university fee loans

do you have a means of paying your fees without a loan?
Original post by black tea
do you have a means of paying your fees without a loan?

maybe part time £6k but not £9k

in that case, you clearly do need a student loan

:bawling:poorrrr ladd

it is worth it , but only if your degree guarantees future employment
Mixed on both, scary enough getting a loan and the job situation is changing. Going to have to wait as government takes advantage of the situation, for everyone, I'm afraid. Hope those Americans give Internet University the run of what it could do.
it is worth it , but only if your degree guarantees future employment

if you don't get a decent job, you just don't pay the loan back
if you don't get a decent job, you just don't pay the loan back

really? are you sure???
really? are you sure???

Yep. Have a look here - https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/when-you-start-repaying

Quick Reply

Latest