The Student Room Group

Civil Service Applications

Hi everyone this is my first post on TSR. I’m looking for some help with Civil Service applications. I’ve applied for quite a few now but just can’t get the hang of it. If there is anybody who could help me with some applications, that would be great. In particular, some help with behaviours would be good.
Original post by H78Parker
Hi everyone this is my first post on TSR. I’m looking for some help with Civil Service applications. I’ve applied for quite a few now but just can’t get the hang of it. If there is anybody who could help me with some applications, that would be great. In particular, some help with behaviours would be good.

Have you managed to get through to interviews for any of your applications? Or are you struggling prior to interviews?

Have you reviewed the success profiles at the grade you’re applying for? Have you reviewed the STAR technique in presenting your examples (situation, task, action, result)?
Reply 2
I can’t get any interviews. My answers are in STAR format and I’m going for EO roles. I think there may just be a lot of competition at the moment. It’s a real struggle!
Reply 3
When you are writing examples during the application, you need them to match closely to the person spec. Don’t only focus on the behaviour criteria. Read the person spec on the job advert to see the skills they’re looking for and try getting your examples to match closely to them.

Original post by H78Parker
I can’t get any interviews. My answers are in STAR format and I’m going for EO roles. I think there may just be a lot of competition at the moment. It’s a real struggle!
Original post by Aysha98x
When you are writing examples during the application, you need them to match closely to the person spec. Don’t only focus on the behaviour criteria. Read the person spec on the job advert to see the skills they’re looking for and try getting your examples to match closely to them.

Do you think so? I don't think it's possible to really match the description closely if you never did a similar job. As long as your ticking all the boxes from the Behaviours document and can show that you display this behaviour, even by doing an action that is in a completely different working environment than the one you're applying for, it should be fine.

It also depends on the sifting panel - there may be easy people and strict people and, unfortunately, it all depends on person's luck. For example, I secured EO interviews, but failed sifting process for AO interview, which doesn't really make sense.
Defo a lottery system
Reply 6
Original post by makkurokurosuke
Do you think so? I don't think it's possible to really match the description closely if you never did a similar job. As long as your ticking all the boxes from the Behaviours document and can show that you display this behaviour, even by doing an action that is in a completely different working environment than the one you're applying for, it should be fine.

It also depends on the sifting panel - there may be easy people and strict people and, unfortunately, it all depends on person's luck. For example, I secured EO interviews, but failed sifting process for AO interview, which doesn't really make sense.

I’ve been advised this by my managers that sift and interview for CS. I’ve tried this approach and had interviews for many internal positions. Before I used to also think it was all about the behaviours on it’s own, but the person spec is equally important. The person spec can be tailored to suit any situation. For example it can say the person has to be customer focused. This can be in any context. In retail, call centre or even in an admin role.
When the sifting panel check your examples they look to match the key criteria/person spec along with the behaviours criteria.
Original post by Anisablue
Defo a lottery system

What makes you say it’s a lottery? I think it’s very straight forward in terms of success profile framework -‘and I think it’s relatively easy to communicate transferable/similar skills used 🤷🏼*♀️

or maybe I’m just lucky my ground is social work and they’re a reasonably good (transferable) match.

btw? Have you heard anything further on your reserve positions, or your partner on their EO WC interview?
H78Parker, I’ve sent a DM to you with the email of a guy who can help. He’s very senior in the CS and does some consultancy work to coach people with their applications.
Original post by PrittyVacant
What makes you say it’s a lottery? I think it’s very straight forward in terms of success profile framework -‘and I think it’s relatively easy to communicate transferable/similar skills used 🤷🏼*♀️

or maybe I’m just lucky my ground is social work and they’re a reasonably good (transferable) match.

btw? Have you heard anything further on your reserve positions, or your partner on their EO WC interview?

Hay
Lottery I mean like matter of opinion on who is marking
For example on my personal statement I have gotten a 7 and on other times a 3.
Also in interview I have gotten a 7 on my strongest example and on other times a 4. So can be just luck based sometimes

My partner has still not had the results for WC for north central interviews finished 3weeks ago.

I am on dwp reserve list heo for north central and north east. I have not heard any thing from north central.
However I had an offer from north east Today but declined as the location was too far. So I guess there is some movement now
Original post by DHughes87
H78Parker, I’ve sent a DM to you with the email of a guy who can help. He’s very senior in the CS and does some consultancy work to coach people with their applications.

Hi there DHughes87, could I possibly get this guy's email too? Planning to apply for FS later this year! TIA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending