The Student Room Group

I want to know some information about cars

I am going to buy a used car on finance and I am going to be the one paying for the finance. But I wanted to know if I could make my dad the main driver of the car that I am going to buy on finance and then make me an additional driver on the car I buy? Is that possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you are insuring the car separately that should be fine but be sure that he will be the primary driver because it's possible that the insurance company might find it suspicious and check and you don't want to commit insurance fraud.
Reply 2
Original post by banewi66
I am going to buy a used car on finance and I am going to be the one paying for the finance. But I wanted to know if I could make my dad the main driver of the car that I am going to buy on finance and then make me an additional driver on the car I buy? Is that possible?

Why would your dad be the main driver of a car you're paying for? That screams insurance fraud.
Reply 3

If I ignore the fraud that is screaming out at me, some lenders won't allow anyone to be the main driver, other than the person who took out the finance, well at least it was for me on my car. I had to be on the finance agreement, as well as be the main driver and fully comprehensive insurance :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Joshkav
If I ignore the fraud that is screaming out at me, some lenders won't allow anyone to be the main driver, other than the person who took out the finance, well at least it was for me on my car. I had to be on the finance agreement, as well as be the main driver and fully comprehensive insurance :smile:

Yep, this is the case 99.9% of the time.

Who is going to be driving the car the most? If its your car then you should be the main driver ...
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Yep, this is the case 99.9% of the time.

Thought so :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Who is going to be driving the car the most? If its your car then you should be the main driver ...

My dad is going to be the main driver
Of course it is possible as insurance and finance companies are not related. But if you have an accident there could be a problem if they find out you use the car more than your dad, which is possible to deduct from who’s name the car is registered to.

I don't think insurance companies are going to believe that - doesn't he have his own car?
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think insurance companies are going to believe that - doesn't he have his own car?

Suppose the only exception would be guarantors. But I don't think that the insurance company would believe that he is being a guarantor for his Father :biggrin:
Reply 11
Why are you buying your Dad a car for him to be the main driver. Better to get him to take out the finance and pay him some money to be a named driver and borrow the car from time to time.
I had to take over my mum's car a while back and the finance and insurance people were none too pleased with about it, had to get court firepower and take out a second insurance policy on it in the end.
Reply 13

Why are you taking out the finance then?
Reply 14
Research “Fronting”.
This is where somebody owns or finances a car, but a parent or more experienced driver insures it as the main driver, but in reality the owner/youngster is really the main driver.
It is also known as insurance fraud.
Original post by Tupmole
Research “Fronting”.
This is where somebody owns or finances a car, but a parent or more experienced driver insures it as the main driver, but in reality the owner/youngster is really the main driver.
It is also known as insurance fraud.

...and AFAIK insurance firms don't have to prove it, suspicion is basically enough for them to hike the premiums.
If you're named on the finance agreement, you are usually required to be insured as the main driver and keeper of the car.
I am going to buy a used car on finance and I am going to be the one paying for the finance.

Don't finance a used car. There are enough decent, reliable, safe, and cheap, used cars for this to be unnecessary. If it breaks down, and you can't afford to repair it, you'll still have finance payments to make.
Lol allow it. That's just his personality 😂
Reply 19
Original post by R4CEWARS
Why are you such a little b1tch?

OP is potentially committing insurance fraud. I'm establishing whether that's the case. Enjoy your ban.

Quick Reply

Latest