The Student Room Group

Oxford GCSEs

I am considering applying to Oxford to do law. I heard that Oxford really values applicants' GCSE results but as an international I only studied one year GCSE (actually less than one year) and only did 6 GCSEs (99888A). I am kind of anxious if this set of results will put me at disadvantage.
How will your results put you as an disadvantage? Your gcses are great grades for what you were able to do. They will put your gcses into context. Did you do your gcse privately or at a school?
Original post by Jessieeeeeeeeee
I am considering applying to Oxford to do law. I heard that Oxford really values applicants' GCSE results but as an international I only studied one year GCSE (actually less than one year) and only did 6 GCSEs (99888A). I am kind of anxious if this set of results will put me at disadvantage.

Won't your reference explain that? Which degree are you thinking of?
those are good grades:h:

if you get A*AA+ apply for Oxbridge
Original post by PetitePanda
How will your results put you as an disadvantage? Your gcses are great grades for what you were able to do. They will put your gcses into context. Did you do your gcse privately or at a school?

I did my GCSEs in the international section of a college.
Original post by Muttley79
Won't your reference explain that? Which degree are you thinking of?

yea I gonna contact my teacher and explain that in my reference. I'm currently thinking of law.
Original post by AdamNoahIssa
those are good grades:h:

if you get A*AA+ apply for Oxbridge

Thank you! I am predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Economics, History and EPQ.
I did my GCSEs in the international section of a college.

Were the 6 gcses the amount you can take only? Why did you take them in one year?
yea I gonna contact my teacher and explain that in my reference. I'm currently thinking of law.

Won't your teacher know already? They need to write about it, not you.
Reply 9
i mean i got 9999988887A*A and still didn't get into oxford and i was predicted A*AAA for ucas. its not down to gcses, its down to a levels mainly and also your references, personal statement etc

and i think you have to do the lnat right? yeah that will be probably the main factor into getting an interview so make sure to work hard on that
(edited 3 years ago)

It shouldn't. Speak to an Admissions Tutor if you're worried. Good luck.
Original post by Muttley79
Won't your teacher know already? They need to write about it, not you.

I did my gcses in another school so teachers in my current school don't really know that.
Original post by Erdsa
i mean i got 9999988887A*A and still didn't get into oxford and i was predicted A*AAA for ucas. its not down to gcses, its down to a levels mainly and also your references, personal statement etc

and i think you have to do the lnat right? yeah that will be probably the main factor into getting an interview so make sure to work hard on that

It isn't mainly down to A-levels. If you meet the minimum grade requirements (in case of law AAA, I believe) then whether you're predicted AAA or A*A*A* makes little difference. By comparison for lots of subjects GCSEs are important. For instance, gcse score is 30% of history's ranking system.

Personal statements are NOT particularly important, don't know about references

Point about the LNAT is very true
Thank you! I am predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Economics, History and EPQ.

wow interesting subjects :yes: how are they going so far?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending