OW432
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I’ve applied for business at an RG uni and have an offer, however recently have become interested in computer science at uni of Manchester. I didn’t study A level maths and so would be looking to take an integrated foundation year. Clearing is open for that course and I’m thinking of trying to join that way.

However, I’m completely undecided on whether I really want to study computer science at uni. Im interested in the subject, for example I know some basic coding and can mostly assemble a PC while understanding what the components are and a bit about how they work (CPU, RAM etc). However I understand that academically studying a subject in full depth at uni is a bit different to just holding an interest in it and so I’m undecided whether I’d actually like it or not.

The other part of what attracts me to the subject, is that is has strong graduate prospects and so I feel it’s a pretty secure degree to do. Furthermore, I have entrepreneurial aspirations and so having strong knowledge of tech (one of the most lucrative industries), I feel could give me as solid of a background as business.

I’d appreciate any advice from someone who has studied the subject before on how it’s like to do so. Any tips on how to realise if I’m truly interested in studying the subject are also appreciated. I really can’t decide whether to do computer science or business/economics, results day is in a week and so I need to decide soon
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
computer science
OW432
Rep:
?
(Original post by Libbyc16)
computer science
Why?
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You can do both at lots of universities. University of Edinburgh do a BSc Computer Science and Management Science degree.
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...view&code=GN42

KCL do a similar degree; https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...management-bsc
OW432
Rep:
?
(Original post by MalcolmX)
You can do both at lots of universities. University of Edinburgh do a BSc Computer Science and Management Science degree.
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...view&code=GN42

KCL do a similar degree; https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...management-bsc
Thanks, thats actually not a bad idea, I’d probably do so if I could but they both require A level maths. One of the reasons I preferred Manchester is for the integrated foundation year
HenryTheHoover12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why cant you do the foundation year and go into Computing with Business? This is essentially what I did and it worked well for me, I'm starting a grad scheme on 30k in 1 month.

Given the choice, my preference would be.

1. Computer Science with Business (major in computing). You avoid the worst computing modules and business modules are easy.
2. Computer Science
3. Business - its a micky mouse degree.
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OW432)
Why?
opportunity to earn higher salary/roles, job more useful.
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OW432)
Thanks, thats actually not a bad idea, I’d probably do so if I could but they both require A level maths. One of the reasons I preferred Manchester is for the integrated foundation year
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate...nagement-itmb/
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by HenryTheHoover12)
Why cant you do the foundation year and go into Computing with Business? This is essentially what I did and it worked well for me, I'm starting a grad scheme on 30k in 1 month.

Given the choice, my preference would be.

1. Computer Science with Business (major in computing). You avoid the worst computing modules and business modules are easy.
2. Computer Science
3. Business - its a micky mouse degree.
Business is one of the higher paying degrees........ It may not be as valuable as CS, but it's far from Mickey mouse and content is highly practical.

OP if you study business, especially at RG your prospects will be fine.

But I would advise you to do your undergrad in computer science and then go for a masters in business analytics...that imo, is an unstoppable combination.

I've got a BSc in Management, and am now studying an MSc in Organisational Change. Undergrad at RG, and postgrad at their RG equivalent type in the Netherlands.

I have loads of friends who have gotten nice roles, as if your willing to build a bit of a CV and can perform well at interviews, there is a significant demand for business (especially RG) grads.
KatyaB2019
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The prospects are very good with the ITMB degree. It also offers Tech Industry Gold accreditation which means that the curriculum is designed by employers and academics. With Tech Industry Gold you will get to meet tech employers, take part in competitions, have access to industry insight talks, and much more. You can find out more at tpdegrees.com/degrees. Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads