The Student Room Group

What do you regret or wish you knew for your first driving test?

So, I have my first driving test in September and it took forever to get this booking due to the pandemic. Meaning, now out of all times, I should pass first time, cuz I probs won't get another appointment till like December. So I thought making this forum would be helpful.

btw I'm learning automatic, but I'm sure manual drivers will also have some stuff to say :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My friend failed his the first time because of mirror checks, so I think the only reason I passed was because my head was bopping 360's looking at every single mirror every 5 mins and at every turn I took. Maybe u shouldn't do that but DONT FORGET ABT MIRRORS lol (passed first time tho, it also depends on the examiner cause all I had to do was pull up to the side for my maneuvers hehe)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kurro
My friend failed his first time because of mirror checks, so I think the only reason I passed was because my head was bopping 360's looking at every single mirror every 5 mins and at every turn I took. Maybe u shouldn't do that but DONT FORGET ABT MIRRORS lol (passed first time tho, it also depends on the examiner cause all I had to do was pull up to the side for my maneuvers hehe)

yes I agree mirror checks and blinds pot check, epsecially when moving off are really important. and wow you're lucky, such an easy manoeuvre
Roundabouts can have traffic lights on them :colonhash:
Original post by Zahra_2001
So, I have my first driving test in September and it took forever to get this booking due to the pandemic. Meaning, now out of all times, I should pass first time, cuz I probs won't get another appointment till like December. So I thought making this forum would be helpful.

btw I'm learning automatic, but I'm sure manual drivers will also have some stuff to say :smile:

I don't regret anything.

Before the driving test, I read several books on technique of driving, including advanced and rally techniques, regulations, and practiced driving on closed tracks, aside from normal lessons.
I passed at first attempt, with compliments from my examiner. He said: 'I wish everyone drove just like you.'
Reply 5
I failed my first once for continuously stalling so remember to give gas and the clutch and make sure you don’t go into the wrong gear
Reply 6
I failed 1st time because, when parallel parking, I hit the curb.
I failed 2nd time because, in a que of traffic leading up to some traffic lights (on red), I stopped on a keep clear sign.
I passed 3rd time.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Roundabouts can have traffic lights on them :colonhash:

oh yes so annoying, was close to missing one in a lesson
Reply 8
Original post by Emily_B
I failed 1st time because, when parallel parking, I hit the curb.
I failed 2nd time because, in a que of traffic leading up to some traffic lights (on red), I stopped on a keep clear sign.
I passed 3rd time.

ah yes the tiny mistakes ugh
Original post by PTMalewski
I don't regret anything.

Before the driving test, I read several books on technique of driving, including advanced and rally techniques, regulations, and practiced driving on closed tracks, aside from normal lessons.
I passed at first attempt, with compliments from my examiner. He said: 'I wish everyone drove just like you.'

must be nice to be you. for me, I'm bad at planning. like it's all in my head and I know what's right and wrong, but my body acts faster than my thoughts
Reply 9
ah yes the tiny mistakes ugh

I changed test centre for the 3rd time as well. Shame I didn't go to the other test centre first time round, where actually as actually loads less stressed because I actually knew the roads better.
I had learned everything and practiced all manoeuvres etc. I was very well prepared and equipped. I knew all my show me tell me’s, and felt very confident on my test day. Very thing I had to do: open the bonnet and point out the coolant. Easy. Except, I didn’t know how to open the bonnet. Well, I ddI but I couldn’t open it because I had done it in ‘theory’ but had never actually opened the bonnet physically. They had to call my instructor out to do it for me, I was so embarrassed. All confidence went out the window. But I actually passed first time with 3 minors, so I’d say don’t sweat it. Just be as prepared as you can and have confidence
Original post by Anonymous17!
I had learned everything and practiced all manoeuvres etc. I was very well prepared and equipped. I knew all my show me tell me’s, and felt very confident on my test day. Very thing I had to do: open the bonnet and point out the coolant. Easy. Except, I didn’t know how to open the bonnet. Well, I ddI but I couldn’t open it because I had done it in ‘theory’ but had never actually opened the bonnet physically. They had to call my instructor out to do it for me, I was so embarrassed. All confidence went out the window. But I actually passed first time with 3 minors, so I’d say don’t sweat it. Just be as prepared as you can and have confidence

yes confidnece is key. I'm thinking of trying to out myself in the mentaility of that this is not a test, just another mock test with a different driving instructor. hopefully that will remove some of the pressure.
yes confidnece is key. I'm thinking of trying to out myself in the mentaility of that this is not a test, just another mock test with a different driving instructor. hopefully that will remove some of the pressure.

I just acted as if they weren’t there tbh. Like I was just driving on a normal day in a normal lesson. My instructor was very good and we mostly drove down test routes anyway on regular lessons so I knew the roads and stuff, I just made a few mistakes because of nerves. One thing is that some examiners might try to talk to you to see how you’d cope with chatting friends in the car etc. It’s YOUR test, so you can politely ask them to not talk and it won’t affect if you pass or fail. Just remember that it’s your test and you’re in control. Good luck :smile:
I just acted as if they weren’t there tbh. Like I was just driving on a normal day in a normal lesson. My instructor was very good and we mostly drove down test routes anyway on regular lessons so I knew the roads and stuff, I just made a few mistakes because of nerves. One thing is that some examiners might try to talk to you to see how you’d cope with chatting friends in the car etc. It’s YOUR test, so you can politely ask them to not talk and it won’t affect if you pass or fail. Just remember that it’s your test and you’re in control. Good luck :smile:

idk if I'd have the guts to tell them to shut up lol. but I do try to speak with my instructor whisky dirving so I'm practicing it
idk if I'd have the guts to tell them to shut up lol. but I do try to speak with my instructor whisky dirving so I'm practicing it

:lol: :lol: you just say it in a polite way. Basically, when I took my test I was someone who really needed to focus. I would drift onto the other side of the raid or drive too close to parked cars if I talked to my instructor, I’ve been driving for almost a years now and am basically the designated taxi driver for my friends, so I’ve gotten a lot of better at talking and driving now, but when my examiner tried to talk to me, I was driving down a 50mph winding road and really needed to concentrate so I just said don’t you mind if we don’t talk please, I’m trying to focus’ and he was just like ‘yeah, no problem, it’s your test’ and then after I did that road I went back to the test centre and he said I passed!
Make sure you get plenty of sleep. When I'm tired I tend to drive erratically and on my test day I woke up early due to noises from outside (only got 5 hours of sleep). In the last 2 or 3 minutes of the test I pulled out of a junction when there was a car but the examiner braked. I failed as it was a serious fault. If I waited I would've passed with 5 minors (2 were for speed). Get plenty of sleep, drink a red bull (or an energy drink of your choice), use the toilet before your test, get practise just before your test, don't panic, pay attention to everything and check your mirrors. Also react to what you see in your mirrors, e.g. don't turn left if you see a cyclist coming up the inside. Remember you can go off route if it's done safely.

Wish you luck!
Reply 16
I do find this extremely interesting to read but as a side note we don't talk to people to see how they react to friende chatting in the car, we only do it with people that are coming across as extremely nervous to break the tension and calm them down. I have never seen a complaint from a candidate from an overly talkative examiner but I have seen plenty where examiner was grumpy and wouldn't talk at all!
:lol: :lol: you just say it in a polite way. Basically, when I took my test I was someone who really needed to focus. I would drift onto the other side of the raid or drive too close to parked cars if I talked to my instructor, I’ve been driving for almost a years now and am basically the designated taxi driver for my friends, so I’ve gotten a lot of better at talking and driving now, but when my examiner tried to talk to me, I was driving down a 50mph winding road and really needed to concentrate so I just said don’t you mind if we don’t talk please, I’m trying to focus’ and he was just like ‘yeah, no problem, it’s your test’ and then after I did that road I went back to the test centre and he said I passed!

XD ofc politely and yes I will defo speak up if they were talking to me on a 50mph road
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
Make sure you get plenty of sleep. When I'm tired I tend to drive erratically and on my test day I woke up early due to noises from outside (only got 5 hours of sleep). In the last 2 or 3 minutes of the test I pulled out of a junction when there was a car but the examiner braked. I failed as it was a serious fault. If I waited I would've passed with 5 minors (2 were for speed). Get plenty of sleep, drink a red bull (or an energy drink of your choice), use the toilet before your test, get practise just before your test, don't panic, pay attention to everything and check your mirrors. Also react to what you see in your mirrors, e.g. don't turn left if you see a cyclist coming up the inside. Remember you can go off route if it's done safely.

Wish you luck!

thanks a lot and yes sleep is important. and that must've been annoying to fail at the very end
Original post by TheDE
I do find this extremely interesting to read but as a side note we don't talk to people to see how they react to friende chatting in the car, we only do it with people that are coming across as extremely nervous to break the tension and calm them down. I have never seen a complaint from a candidate from an overly talkative examiner but I have seen plenty where examiner was grumpy and wouldn't talk at all!

yes of course, I wouldn't mind an examiner talking to me a bit, especially when it's safe and the road is straight. Will break some of the ice, definitely. But if it's an area where I need to focus, such as a roundabout or dual carriageway, I'd rather the examiner not talk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending