The Student Room Group

Things to know before starting uni

What are some things you wish you would have known before starting uni?

Just a thread to help those starting uni this year or next year!

:smile:
Lol! Wait really? You didn’t know???
Original post by pepsimaxcherry

Hi @pepsimaxcherry

I wish I had known not to buy all the books on my course as they were quite expensive and were also available in the library.
I also wish I didn't try and attempt to write all the lecture slides out, as it was unrealistic.
Lastly, I wish I knew about the ambassador jobs the uni offered, as it would've helped me quite a bit in terms of money.

Zaira :smile:
Buy a big comfortable backpack (dump the shoulder handbag) you want enough space for a laptop, textbook, pencil case, water bottle, sandwich, purse/wallet, phone charger, laptop charger, note book and any other random things you need.
~ Don't worry if the friends you make during Freshers week don't stay close with you, as you'll all find friends you have more in common with later.
~ Don't buy any books until you get there, as you'll end up wasting money on books you'll only open once (or not at all!).
~ Make sure that you register with a GP as soon as you arrive - you don't want to desperately need antibiotics or something else on prescription only to have to fill in all the paperwork to register when you're ill!
~ Don't panic if your flatmates aren't your type of people - you can't be friends with everyone!
~ Invest in a railcard/travel card if you will be taking long or frequent journeys.
~ Don't leave assignments to the last minute - try to get them started (even if it's just reading for them) when you first get your schedule/title.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. :smile:
Original post by pepsimaxcherry

I wish I had known not to be scared to join a society and meet people, because everyone joining will be in the same position as you and you can make some great friends :smile:

I also wish I knew to make better use of the library and go there between lectures to get work done rather than doing it at home in the evenings!

Eloise - Official Student Rep
How to cook a few simple healthy meals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending