The Student Room Group

What is the timeline for GPST1 application?

Hi, I am a foreigner in the UK doing my FY1 currently, I want to apply for GP training next year. Due to my identity, I cannot stay outside of the UK for too long if I want to eventually gain the indefinite leave to remain, so the best case for me is something like finishing FY2 in July and starting GPST1 in August of the same year. I am not sure about the timeline and their recruitment website offers very vague ideas so I thought I would ask here from some experienced people. Thank you!
Original post by somedude95
Hi, I am a foreigner in the UK doing my FY1 currently, I want to apply for GP training next year. Due to my identity, I cannot stay outside of the UK for too long if I want to eventually gain the indefinite leave to remain, so the best case for me is something like finishing FY2 in July and starting GPST1 in August of the same year. I am not sure about the timeline and their recruitment website offers very vague ideas so I thought I would ask here from some experienced people. Thank you!

You can apply in November of FY2 i.e. 3 months after you've started.

MSRA is in January
Offers are in March - if you score highly enough in the MSRA you can bypass the interview stage and get an offer directly
Getting your job allocations is probably deanery specific but I got mine at the end of April
Start in August

Timelines are here, though they may not be updated for August 2021 entry yet: https://gprecruitment.hee.nhs.uk/Recruitment
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
You can apply in November of FY2 i.e. 3 months after you've started.

MSRA is in January
Offers are in March - if you score highly enough in the MSRA you can bypass the interview stage and get an offer directly
Getting your job allocations is probably deanery specific but I got mine at the end of April
Start in August

Timelines are here, though they may not be updated for August 2021 entry yet: https://gprecruitment.hee.nhs.uk/Recruitment

Congrats, so did you skip interview stage? What are the resources you used to prep MSRA SJT and Clinical?
Congrats, so did you skip interview stage? What are the resources you used to prep MSRA SJT and Clinical?

I did. Used PassMedicine for the MSRA.

There are some MSRA experiences here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5202178
Reply 4
I did. Used PassMedicine for the MSRA.

There are some MSRA experiences here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?ti

I used pass medicine before FY1 SJT but I felt like their questions weren’t really relevant to the real exam questions, I felt it that way and so did the people in the discussions. Did you really use pass medicine as your only revision source for the MSRA SJT? how about pastest?
I used pass medicine before FY1 SJT but I felt like their questions weren’t really relevant to the real exam questions, I felt it that way and so did the people in the discussions. Did you really use pass medicine as your only revision source for the MSRA SJT? how about pastest?

Honestly I think 90% of my revision was for the Clinical Problem Solving questions. I did a load of Professional Dilemma (=SJT) questions in the two days before the exam but I derive little benefit from "revising" for SJTs, I really only did it to familiarise myself with the format and to get into the SJT mindset, so for that PassMedicine was absolutely fine.

No idea about PasTest sorry.
Reply 6
Honestly I think 90% of my revision was for the Clinical Problem Solving questions. I did a load of Professional Dilemma (=SJT) questions in the two days before the exam but I derive little benefit from "revising" for SJTs, I really only did it to familiarise myself with the format and to get into the SJT mindset, so for that PassMedicine was absolutely fine.

No idea about PasTest sorry.

Was gonna make a new post but I thought you know quite a lot so I will ask it here. When I fully qualify as a GP, what is the minimum requirement to do to keep up the licence to practice? i.e. number of hours to work per year, etc etc.
Was gonna make a new post but I thought you know quite a lot so I will ask it here. When I fully qualify as a GP, what is the minimum requirement to do to keep up the licence to practice? i.e. number of hours to work per year, etc etc.

I don't think there is a minimum requirement:

Spoiler

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/practice/revalidation/mythbusters-appraisal-and-revalidation/the-role-of-appraisal-in-the-regulation-of-doctors.aspx

@GANFYD - is the above true in your experience?
Reply 8

I certainly know people who only do 2 sessions in actual General Practice and some with annualised hours. Some do nothing else, some have other medical roles. I do not think there is a minimum requirement in terms of hours, but it will be hard to get MSFs, training etc, if you work much less, I would have thought.
Other than that it is minimum 50 hours CPD a year, +/- relevant training for any specific roles you do (can be part of the 50 hours if needed), eg FSRH if doing coils etc, minor surgery competencies, Teaching the Teacher stuff if you have med students, Trainer stuff if GPSTs,
Reply 9
So is it 50 hours annually minimum? I heard the minimum is 40 sessions per year

50 hours is for CPD activities - that's not the same as clinical sessions at work, which is what I thought you were asking about?
Reply 11

Have a read here
https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/supporting-doctors-who-undertake-a-low-volume-of-nhs-general-practice-clinical-work/

I think more of an issue would be finding someone to employ you for 40 sessions a year or feeling confident enough to locum for only that length of time, as you would rapidly de-skill, let alone the financial implications

50 hours is the CPD requirement, not the clinical commitment
Reply 13
50 hours is for CPD activities - that's not the same as clinical sessions at work, which is what I thought you were asking about?

Original post by GANFYD
Have a read here
https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/supporting-doctors-who-undertake-a-low-volume-of-nhs-general-practice-clinical-work/

I think more of an issue would be finding someone to employ you for 40 sessions a year or feeling confident enough to locum for only that length of time, as you would rapidly de-skill, let alone the financial implications

Original post by Helenia
50 hours is the CPD requirement, not the clinical commitment

So CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development right, what does it include? Do you have to have this 50 hours annually in order to progress?
I agree with rapidly de-skilling, but I guess there is no such thing as a perfect decision, GP amongst all doctors already has the most flexibility in terms of taking time out to do other things
(edited 3 years ago)
So CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development right, what does it include? Do you have to have this 50 hours annually in order to progress?
I agree with rapidly de-skilling, but I guess there is no such thing as a perfect decision, GP amongst all doctors already has the most flexibility in terms of taking time out to do other things

CPD (in the sense of collecting x number of hours) is something you have to do as part of annual appraisal and revalidation once you have finished training.
Reply 15

Yes. You agree with your Appraiser what some of the content will be when you set your PDP (personal development plan), some of it is compulsory (Basic Life Support, E&D, Data Protection adn a million and 1 other "usefull" things), the rest is down to you.
As stated, yes, you have to make this annually in order to be revalidated and hence continue as a GP
Reply 16
Original post by GANFYD
Yes. You agree with your Appraiser what some of the content will be when you set your PDP (personal development plan), some of it is compulsory (Basic Life Support, E&D, Data Protection adn a million and 1 other "usefull" things), the rest is down to you.
As stated, yes, you have to make this annually in order to be revalidated and hence continue as a GP

What happens when you set your PDP? Do you have to demonstrate the skills in the PDP?
Reply 17
What happens when you set your PDP? Do you have to demonstrate the skills in the PDP?

Yes, that is the point. You agree a plan with outcomes and then work towards it during the next year and then produce evidence you have achieved your learning objectives at the next appraisal
Reply 18
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, that is the point. You agree a plan with outcomes and then work towards it during the next year and then produce evidence you have achieved your learning objectives at the next appraisal

I am thinking once I qualify as a GP I will do locuming for as much as I can because if you are still undertaking GP work you belong to the 'lower risk' group which only requires minimal mitigation/safeguards. Do you know how locuming work? Is it usually like a contract where you are fixed on working a certain period or it is completely up to you to work how many sessions, what days and time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending