The Student Room Group

I eat less than 1300 calories but still have not lost weight..

I have been intermittently fasting and have been on calorie deficit (I eat less than 1300 calories a day) and have also been doing HIIT workouts every day/every other day, for a month. I haven’t lost any weight. This is so so frustrating because I try so so hard. Why could this be?

*ps I’m a 17 year old girl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
It could be due to hormonal imbalances, which would mean a visit to the doctor.

It could be you're somehow eating more calories than you think.

It could be that your basal metabolic rate is not much above 1300 calories, so your weight loss is very slow.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been intermittently fasting and have been on calorie deficit (I eat less than 1300 calories a day) and have also been doing HIIT workouts every day/every other day, for a month. I haven’t lost any weight. This is so so frustrating because I try so so hard. Why could this be?

are you 70 cm tall
You are eating too few calories. You need to be eating just under what your body needs as your body still needs all its nutrients. Then on top of this you need to do exercise as the combination is what really helps weight loss.By eating so few calories you are putting your body into starvation mode and therefore it is saving every bit of fat.I am 17 too and this works for me. I stopped a while ago cause i prefer eating over dieting but it does work. Its a bit of a pain to manage though
Are you on any medications that cause weight gain?

Sometimes not eating enough is actually the problem as the body stores the food it does get to make fat :biggrin:

It's complicated.

Try a month of making up those calories and starting with a good breakfast and you may be surprised.
Original post by Anonymous17!
It could be because you’re 17 and you’re actually still growing. Your body continues to change even in your early 20’s so you might find losing weight a bit harder. Also, what type of food do you eat? For example, someone who eats 2000 calories of food per day but who is eating fat burning foods will lose more weight than someone who is eating 1300 but is eating high fat foods. You’d be surprised. Peanuts are high fat food. So it could be the type of food you’re eating. However, if you’re eating the right food and still not losing weight, it could be a hormonal issue as said above.

This is one of the worst pieces of information I’ve ever seen on TSR and that’s saying something
I feel disappointed to be reading this on a forum called the student room. Use your noggin and realise that is an ungodly low amount of calories.
It could be because you’re 17 and you’re actually still growing. Your body continues to change even in your early 20’s so you might find losing weight a bit harder. Also, what type of food do you eat? For example, someone who eats 2000 calories of food per day but who is eating fat burning foods will lose more weight than someone who is eating 1300 but is eating high fat foods. You’d be surprised. Peanuts are high fat food. So it could be the type of food you’re eating. However, if you’re eating the right food and still not losing weight, it could be a hormonal issue as said above.

These are horrible lies. You know nothing about nutrition whatsoever. There is no significant difference between calories burnt between macronutrients to even make a bloody modicum of difference...
Original post by conorellis42
These are horrible lies. You know nothing about nutrition whatsoever. There is no significant difference between calories burnt between macronutrients to even make a bloody modicum of difference...

Bu....bu....pEaNutS bRo
Original post by Anonymous

Are ypou loggiong and weighing all your food using kitchen scales?
Wow, thanks. I don’t claim to be an expert, I’m just sharing what I’ve been told and what I’ve read, and quite a few studies in recent years have shown that counting calories might not actually be the solution to the losing weight and that what you eat carries more weight than how much you eat. Sure, you do need to have some deficit in order to drop pounds and I might have exaggerated with my numbers (ie 2000 calories) to emphasise my point, but I still stand by my information. Someone who eats 1300 calories a day and it’s a McDonald’s isn’t going to lose weight in a healthy way compared to someone who eats more calories but has a better and more balanced diet. But thanks for the comment, appreciate the put down instead of actually correcting my information and making me more informed

Its not called a deficit, its called a negative energy balance. Your terminology is way too off to be taken seriously. You probably skim through the abstract and fail to comprehend the basic info in those studies. You gave advise to this girl, so you will be grilled accordingly.
Original post by Nutritionist
Bu....bu....pEaNutS bRo

Eat carolina reapers to increase your metabolic rate by 100%,works every time bruh.
that’s too low imo, maybe up it to 1500-1600
Its not called a deficit, its called a negative energy balance. Your terminology is way too off to be taken seriously. You probably skim through the abstract and fail to comprehend the basic info in those studies. You gave advise to this girl, so you will be grilled accordingly.

I’m gonna quote this because anonymous has deleted their post but this response is entirely aimed at them (their post is still visible in your reply)

I can cast-iron guarantee you that you have misinterpreted whatever studies you’ve read CATASTROPHICALLY badly. You clearly have no understanding of the subject and have miscommunicated results of studies to suit your own narrative. You also managed to contradict yourself by saying you’re not an expert (don’t think anyone needed that clarification btw) and only said what you’d heard but then defiantly stood by your appalling information. I’m sorry to break this to you, but actually someone eating 1300 calories of McDonald’s will lose more weight than someone eating 1400 calories of spinach.
Original post by Nutritionist
I’m gonna quote this because anonymous has deleted their post but this response is entirely aimed at them (their post is still visible in your reply)

I can cast-iron guarantee you that you have misinterpreted whatever studies you’ve read CATASTROPHICALLY badly. You clearly have no understanding of the subject and have miscommunicated results of studies to suit your own narrative. You also managed to contradict yourself by saying you’re not an expert (don’t think anyone needed that clarification btw) and only said what you’d heard but then defiantly stood by your appalling information. I’m sorry to break this to you, but actually someone eating 1300 calories of McDonald’s will lose more weight than someone eating 1400 calories of spinach.

Quite true, the only cavaet is that an individual would probably be way hungrier after that 1300 calories of McDonalds and find it very difficult to adhere to the diet. Although in reality, if you can do this, then you'll be in a bigger negative energy balance. Calories in vs calories out.
Quite true, the only cavaet is that an individual would probably be way hungrier after that 1300 calories of McDonalds and find it very difficult to adhere to the diet. Although in reality, if you can do this, then you'll be in a bigger negative energy balance. Calories in vs calories out.

Yeah absolutely, I’m not recommending that 😅 Just using it to demonstrate the point
Some posts on this thread are so misinformed it's shocking.

You are obviously not eating low enough and you're not exercising enough if you're not losing weight.

There isn't some mystical truth to losing weight, you will lose weight if you eat 500 calories less than your maintenance and exercise 3-4 times a week.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Some posts on this thread are so misinformed it's shocking.

You are obviously not eating low enough and you're not exercising enough if you're not losing weight.

There isn't some mystical truth to losing weight, you will lose weight if you eat 500 calories less than your maintenance and exercise 3-4 times a week.

It’s hard to pick out a single one to correct, there’s so much choice 😅
You have reached a platue

Quick Reply

Latest