The Student Room Group

Why did police get tasers if they are gunning down anyone they want?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Then I don't know what you're talking about either.

Here's another example of over the top police actions. This time it's because a kid was playing with a toy gun in his home. Disgraceful.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/27/mother-of-boy-with-toy-gun-says-met-police-acted-out-of-all-proportion

The newspaper itself is acting in a prejudicial manner by trying to pretend it was airgun instead of a toy gun from another article.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/28/what-are-the-rules-governing-the-use-of-air-guns-in-the-uk

Looks more like a blank firing gun to be honest.

The example you gave was the police being told the child was seen with a gun, the police can’t know what type of gun it is.

Idiot
Reply 22
Original post by JWatch
Sorry but that's just not true. Every use of Taser is recorded and has to be justified. It is a lower use of force than hitting someone with a baton or throwing them to the ground.

While I recognise the first point, I'm not sure if I agree that zapping someone with huge amounts of electricity is really a lower use of force than those examples. Originally tasers were sold to the public as an alternative to deploying a firearm, now they seem to be used in place of virtually any other use of force.

I'm talking on the fact that I haven't been brought up in the UK, so I can't understand slangs or very bad grammar.

Here's another example of over the top police actions. This time it's because a kid was playing with a toy gun in his home. Disgraceful.

What did you expect them to do, ignore a report that a child is running around with a gun?

Some time ago I read that a Blacksmith was reported to the police for having a sword in public (his job was making swords, he was taking one to his customer).
Another time a guy was surrounded by a gang who threatened him, so he pulled out a knife and screamed to scare them off. The next day the police stormed his hourse because someone reported a lunatic with a knife.

The police is just doing their job. To my feeling, the British police is oversensitive, but on the other, hand, having as bad crime record as the UK has, I'm not surprised it is.
Original post by paul514
The example you gave was the police being told the child was seen with a gun, the police can’t know what type of gun it is.

Idiot

They don't need too because he was playing in his house instead of robbing a bank with it.
You can speak about your other issues here.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=659

Original post by PTMalewski
What did you expect them to do, ignore a report that a child is running around with a gun?

Yes. There isn't a strong enough reason for that response. The UK is not America.

Original post by Napp
Looks more like a blank firing gun to be honest.

Or a Lego Toy.
Or a Lego Toy.

Ok 😂

You’re right from now on the police will send a PCSO to check out gun sighting reports

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/27/mother-of-boy-with-toy-gun-says-met-police-acted-out-of-all-proportion

The newspaper itself is acting in a prejudicial manner by trying to pretend it was airgun instead of a toy gun from another article.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/28/what-are-the-rules-governing-the-use-of-air-guns-in-the-uk

You are quite correct. And no doubt being investigated by the Police Complaints Commission which is independent of the police. What you probably won't see in the press is the outcome of their investigation, especially if it favours the victims.

But regardless, are you saying this exceptional incident, so exceptional that it made the world's press is typical of the police as a whole?

Yes. There isn't a strong enough reason for that response. The UK is not America.

I wonder what would you say if the police was doing nothing in such cases, and some day there was a report that a child shot itself with a gun that wasn't properly secured, or a terrorist attacked another restaurant, and a guy trying to stop the criminal with narwhal tusk was shot before he could get him in range of his improvised weapon.
Original post by paul514
Ok 😂

You’re right from now on the police will send a PCSO to check out gun sighting reports

I think that is the most sensible comment you have made.
Original post by PTMalewski
I wonder what would you say if the police was doing nothing in such cases, and some day there was a report that a child shot itself with a gun that wasn't properly secured, or a terrorist attacked another restaurant, and a guy trying to stop the criminal with narwhal tusk was shot before he could get him in range of his improvised weapon.

You could say that about any false report.

People in this country can go out and shoot in their garden, with a pellet gun, in the sunshine if they want, without the risk of noisy neighbours reports encouraging abusive police especially when it could be racially motivated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending