The Student Room Group

Will leaving my light on stop silverfish at night?

I made a thread about this last night, but these nocturnal bugs suddenly appear on the carpet when the light is off and when I turn my flashlight on to check, they quickly scurry under the bed. I have an eye mask, so I’m considering leaving a lamp on just to keep them away. Will it work?
unlikely but worth try
I’m going to have nightmares tonight
Original post by black tea
unlikely but worth try

Thanks. I’ve only seen two so far and managed to squash them, and since the light has been on, none have reappeared.
No
edit: I meant to say 'No, you want to reduce humidity in the room' but it sent before I finished lol
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 2_versions
No
edit: I meant to say 'No, you want to reduce humidity in the room' but it sent before I finished lol

Thank you. The window is open, but it says online that shining a lamp in their location causes them to relocate, so will the light not work?
Original post by Anonymousamie
Thank you. The window is open, but it says online that shining a lamp in their location causes them to relocate, so will the light not work?

It might make them run away from wherever you found them but in terms of stopping them from breeding there it wont do much. I used to live in a rundown flat back before 2009 and we used to have them in big numbers there sometimes. We got a dehumidifier and left it in the corner of where they were and they never came back. They seem to live in damp areas. I get what you're saying about the light though, when we turned the room light on back then we used to see some run into the corner.
Original post by 2_versions
It might make them run away from wherever you found them but in terms of stopping them from breeding there it wont do much. I used to live in a rundown flat back before 2009 and we used to have them in big numbers there sometimes. We got a dehumidifier and left it in the corner of where they were and they never came back. They seem to live in damp areas. I get what you're saying about the light though, when we turned the room light on back then we used to see some run into the corner.

Thanks so much. To be honest my biggest fear is waking up with one (or multiple) on my bed sheets. Did that ever happen to you? How can I stop it?
you might end up with moths instead
Thanks so much. To be honest my biggest fear is waking up with one (or multiple) on my bed sheets. Did that ever happen to you? How can I stop it?

Yeah that sounds terrifying lol, same with any bug :afraid: Fortunately no it never happened to me, they weren't in my room they was in this hallway that was like an L shape.
I would dry out the room or areas you see them with a dehumidifier (you can get disposables from like Wilko's or something for cheap) and maybe look into the oils people recommend on other websites if you want to take extra precautions. I think as long as you keep the place dry and clean you will be fine :smile:
Here take a look at this: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-silverfish
(edited 3 years ago)
No, there will be thousands living in the walls and under the floor as silverfish like damp. They come out at night because they like cool and dark conditions so leaving the light on would do nothing as they would still be in the cavities in the rest of your house.
I made a thread about this last night, but these nocturnal bugs suddenly appear on the carpet when the light is off and when I turn my flashlight on to check, they quickly scurry under the bed. I have an eye mask, so I’m considering leaving a lamp on just to keep them away. Will it work?

i had to look it up, i rather wish i hadn't burn your house.
Original post by CoolCavy
No, there will be thousands living in the walls and under the floor as silverfish like damp. They come out at night because they like cool and dark conditions so leaving the light on would do nothing as they would still be in the cavities in the rest of your house.

Oh...so it won't stop them from crawling on my bed? I left it on last night and didn't spot any more.
Oh...so it won't stop them from crawling on my bed? I left it on last night and didn't spot any more.

Oh if that's the issue then maybe, I just rather meant they would still be there just not in the area the light was on. They live in walls and under floorboards, you can get stuff to kill them though but they tend to come back if there is damp

Quick Reply

Latest