The Student Room Group

Is male mental health a joke?

I feel like as I am a male, my struggles, anxiety, stress are overlooked and ignored by the mainstream majority when looking for support. Sure there is support out there, but it's only recently that I have started to open up. Yet, I equally feel uncomfortable and made to feel as if I have made a mistake.

Is it that much of a disappointment or inconvenience to see a male reaching out in times of distress?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I feel like as I am a male, my struggles, anxiety, stress are overlooked and ignored by the mainstream majority when looking for support. Sure there is support out there, but it's only recently that I have started to open up. Yet, I equally feel uncomfortable and made to feel as if I have made a mistake.

Is it that much of a disappointment or inconvenience to see a male reaching out in times of distress?

I understand how you feel, I think that since you have just started top open up about the situation, try to help yourself a little bit by maybe doing things that make you feel happy more than just making yourself think about whatever the situation is. Sure it's hard and people only want to know about your problems if there's money behind it but try perhaps talking to someone in your family, or someone you feel close to and can trust. If not, then not to worry just don't think about the situation too much and keep your self happy.
Hope this helps

It's definitely not, in fact it takes courage to tell people when you need some help. I would agree that mental health problems in male's are overlooked compared to females, but that doesn't mean it's not important. Times are changing and so are people's conceptions on mental health.
i get you its like what happened to Will Smith when he had that incident recently, you could see he was a broken man but he was just made a meme from it. quite unsettling when this man was dealing with something that broke him, as with many other males

there are many people out there though who do care about males mental health even though majority talk about females.

if you have real friends then they will check on you and worry bout your mental health, and ask your friends if they doin good uno
Welcome to the patriarchy, where men are expected to be strong and resilient and any talk of emotions is considered a weakness.

It's getting better though, I see more men these days open up and speak about their struggles than say, 5 or 10 years ago, so we're getting there slowly. Remember you're not alone and that there is help out there. I would much rather a male friend/partner opened up to me about their feelings than have them suffer in silence.
(edited 3 years ago)
Call me cynical but I don't think there's much 'support' out there for anyone really. Usually the best support you're gonna get is from those who actually care about you, or those who feel like they need to repay you for caring about them (cf MHSS).
Reply 6
Just be open about it anyway and don't be ashamed of it.

I find speaking to women is probably the best way to discuss mental health, older men in particular I've found don't have a great understanding of it.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Welcome to the patriarchy, where men are expected to be strong and resilient and any talk of emotions is considered a weakness.

this isn't what patriarchy is, but your point is valid about male emotions.

i don't necessarily think it's a joke - awareness about mental health has never been so widespread as it is now - but it's definately not respected or talked about enough for men. the concept that all men are strong and masculine and don't cry is very archaic, yet unfortunately I'd have to agree it still exists. :frown:
Men’s mental health is definitely a big issue nowadays and isn’t as talked about as it should be :frown:
OP I hope you’re ok, feel free to pm me if you want to chat!
Original post by yzanne

i don't necessarily think it's a joke - awareness about mental health has never been so widespread as it is now - but it's definately not respected or talked about enough for men. the concept that all men are strong and masculine and don't cry is very archaic, yet unfortunately I'd have to agree it still exists. :frown:

Research shows evidence of the patriarchy contributing negatively towards male mental health. Just because it's not blatant, it doesn't mean it's not there.

I hate that, I hate how it's such a perception that men can't struggle because they're men, or they don't cry, most of the men if not all of the men I live with are so tough, but, yeah sure I've seen them breakdown and lose it, and that's okay. I have men diagnosed with Bipolar in my family, and that's okay. Because, it can happen to men and women, and anyone deserves the support regardless of gender. I think it's harder for men to open up because of what society portrays about mental health, lets say anorexia, you think of anorexia as only affecting girls, because girls seem so worried about their body image, and what boys think, but that's not true so many guys can get anorexia too, and feel insecure about their weight.

It's so hard for people to open up, because society has placed social "norms" and makes it harder for people to speak out. When really it shouldn't be seen as that.

You're not an inconvenience and you're not a burden, you're doing what's best for you, and you reaching out would help you in a really good way, so how is that wrong? You have to take care of yourself sometimes, especially and foremost your mental health.

Reaching out, makes you stronger not weaker, you're doing something which takes a lot of courage! x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by yzanne

I agree ;/ I think suicide rates are actually higher for men I've seen it circulating on social media on platforms trying to get men to speak up and about, Ik girls can feel suicidal believe you me I know that, but I know men can too and they just sort of suppress it down.
im actually reading a book called dangerous by Milo yiannopoulus, one of the topics it covers is male mental health and how overlooked it is. it's a proven fact that male suicide rates are higher than female suicide rates and yet, men don't receive as much support. everyone's mental health should be taken seriously.
Original post by fattyguen
i get you its like what happened to Will Smith when he had that incident recently, you could see he was a broken man but he was just made a meme from it. quite unsettling when this man was dealing with something that broke him, as with many other males

there are many people out there though who do care about males mental health even though majority talk about females.

if you have real friends then they will check on you and worry bout your mental health, and ask your friends if they doin good uno

Am I the only one who saw those memes and actually looked into that man's eyes and was like that is not okay, what Jada did to him, he looks like he's being torn apart limb by limb, he pretended he's okay going w the whole fist bump "bad marriage for life" like?? Both of them were prime examples or used to be of how a relationship should be, relationship goals, and what not just really goes to show it isn't what it seems. That man for sure looked hurt and I could see it from a mile away, 50 cent was right in what he said to Will, I understand why Will got defensive...

Anywho completely agree, it's so good you have male friends is well who are open to having a chat when you're feeling down.
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
im actually reading a book called dangerous by Milo yiannopoulus, one of the topics it covers is male mental health and how overlooked it is. it's a proven fact that male suicide rates are higher than female suicide rates and yet, men don't receive as much support. everyone's mental health should be taken seriously.

Yeah I read the stats is well in the UK men take up 3/4 of suicide rates. Of course I didn't want to say that incase I get bashed, I mean I believe in equality regardless. Both men and women struggle.
Reply 15
Mental health is a hot word these days, it seems to be "trendy" to have mental health which leaves people who actually need help in the dark or being mocked about it.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Yeah I read the stats is well in the UK men take up 3/4 of suicide rates. Of course I didn't want to say that incase I get bashed, I mean I believe in equality regardless. Both men and women struggle.

yeah sometimes if you bring things like this up people will bash you for various different reasons that make no sense at all. i mentioned that same suicide fact in another thread and i got labelled as "pick me girl" for saying that male suicide rates are higher than females by a bunch of third wave feminists
sad really :/
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
yeah sometimes if you bring things like this up people will bash you for various different reasons that make no sense at all. i mentioned that same suicide fact in another thread and i got labelled as "pick me girl" for saying that male suicide rates are higher than females by a bunch of third wave feminists
sad really :/

I mean I am a feminist and would praise women because, I am one but, like everyone's equal so I really don't understand why things are overlooked for both genders.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
I mean I am a feminist and would praise women because, I am one but, like everyone's equal so I really don't understand why things are overlooked for both genders.

yeah i get what you mean like, as a female obviously all i want is equality too but if people decide to overlook things like mental health just because of someomes gender then i find it silly
Unfortunately with all the cuts in this country for MH services hardly anyone's MH is supported :redface: I do think men face more of a stigma for being emotional than females, have you tried contacting CALM? It's a mens only mental health helpline :smile:

Call me cynical but I don't think there's much 'support' out there for anyone really. Usually the best support you're gonna get is from those who actually care about you, or those who feel like they need to repay you for caring about them (cf MHSS).

I think you have misunderstood MHSS :redface: it's a genuine community and people genuinely support each other not because they feel they owe anyone anything

Quick Reply

Latest