The Student Room Group

I think I’m in the wrong set at school!??

I have just finished year 7.
I was getting between grades 4,5and6 (Cs and lower Bs in GCSE if I did them now)
Been given my timetable for year 8 and I’m in bottom set!!?!?

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Email your school - I’m sure it will be sorted out in September.
Reply 2
Original post by SusannaW
Email your school - I’m sure it will be sorted out in September.

Yes I will do that! :smile:
Lool I’m lower set too my target grades are 6 and 7s (going to year 11 in September) Email your school! Prove them wrong! Don’t make the same mistakes as I did! Because I didn’t revise enough for most tests
Reply 4
your in the lower years of school, so they are still trying to figure out your ability, i wouldn't worry too much now as your not even at the GCSE stage yet, but even then you will realize sets do not mean much at all, i was put in set 4 for a particular subject and got higher grades than those in set one (i was in year 11 then) at mocks i got an 8 which was higher than most in higher sets, sets do not stop you from getting higher grades than those above you, nor do they ask at job interviews what set you were for what matters is the grade, don't let that trouble you
Original post by Anonymous
I was getting between grades 4,5and6 (Cs and lower Bs in GCSE if I did them now)

What should I do?

A C is a pretty bad grade though. And isn't a C the lowest grade that counts as a pass at GCSE?

What should I do?

It might be correct, being given a GCSE grade in year 7 is completely meaningless. You are not at that level, it's just an arbitrary grading system. You can only be given a proper grade for a piece of work when you're doing actual GCSE content.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
A C is a pretty bad grade though. And isn't a C the lowest grade that counts as a pass at GCSE?

Ummmm… I’m in year 7. I’ve got 4 years to improve.
Reply 8
It might be correct, being given a GCSE grade in year 7 is completely meaningless. You are not at that level, it's just an arbitrary grading system. You can only be given a proper grade for a piece of work when you're doing actual GCSE content.

We were doing GCSE content
Original post by Sabertooth

Yeah but this person is in year 7. They said ‘If I did them now’ so clearly they’re quite intelligent if they’re able to pass a GCSE when only on year 7. And a C isn’t bad enough to be in bottom set
We were doing GCSE content

What were you doing that is GCSE content? No school does GCSE content in year 7, that would be ridiculous.
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
Not really - lots of the GCSE stuff, especially foundation tier stuff for lower grades, is done in year 7. Things such as algebra are done every year.

It's highly likely that a year 7 student is getting around Cs in GCSE Maths.

GCSE algebra is not taught in year 7 though.
Original post by blueberrybowl
Yeah but this person is in year 7. They said ‘If I did them now’ so clearly they’re quite intelligent if they’re able to pass a GCSE when only on year 7. And a C isn’t bad enough to be in bottom set

Exactly
In year 11 bottom set bottom set was grades 1 - 3 (fail) so going to year 8 with 4,5,6 ( c and b) is pretty good.
Not really - lots of the GCSE stuff, especially foundation tier stuff for lower grades, is done in year 7. Things such as algebra are done every year.

It's highly likely that a year 7 student is getting around Cs in GCSE Maths.

Also it is not at all likely that a year 7 student would be getting around a C in GCSE maths.
Reply 14
Best not to worry about it. If you are in the wrong set it should become apparent once you start and then maybe you can be moved up. I got moved down a set for maths in year 8 and in the long run it was probably better for me.
Moretime you take the same exam at the end of the course so just focus on doing your best, set mostly doesn’t matter
Just saying, it is t year 7 grades 1-9, year 8 grades 1-9, year 9 grades 1-9, year 10 grades 1-9, year 11 grades 1-9, it is all as one grades 1-9 for all years.
It is. At plenty of schools, especially grammar schools, getting a C in GCSE maths is something completely average. Some schools give end of year exams consisting of GCSE questions, and students do past paper questions every year from year 7 to year 11.

EXACTLY we do this a lot (especially in biology) and If you answer the question in a certain depth or intelligence, then you get a certain grade.
Attachment not found

This is the old to new grading system

What should I do?

Maths GCSE gets a lot harder. Proof, Circle theorums, Algebraic fractions...this is the top level content. You still have lots to learn, and I really don’t know why your school is grading you in year 7. This is a predicted grade, what they think you will get in year 11, not if you sat the GCSE right now. I’m not knocking you, but I think that’s what they mean. Don’t worry! Work hard, you’ve got a lot of time to gain those skills 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending