The Student Room Group

Best way to start daily revising.

Hi,
I am a student in Year 10 and I am wondering when is the best time to start revising? and the best way to start revising?
For GCSEs? I mean now is the best time to make notes and revision resources so when you go back and enter y11 it’s more chill and you can focus on learning and making revision resources for all the new stuff you learn from September onwards. Plus when you have mocks you can get straight to revision. But I mean you can be revising daily now if that’s what you want but please don’t push yourself, y10 is your last chance to not revise and not feel guilty! I’d say do Monday to Fri and have weekends off if you want but you can totally do much less. You’re only in y10! And remember - quality not quantity.

But anyway, if you mean when do you start revision daily for your actual exams: I started (and most in my secondary school started) intensive daily revision from end of March/April of y11 but you should be doing some sort of revision throughout y11 before March/April obvs. (but not intense!!)

Hope this helped
First off find a space to study. Somewhere that is quiet, and comfortable with lots of natural light coming through.
Second, make a list of everything you want to revise. prioritise things that are the most important (STEM subjects like English maths and science plus any which you find difficult).
If you have time, schedule in some sessions for half hour everyday. Increase it as and when you feel the need to! Don’t overwork yourself but get into a routine as it can help!
Top tip of mine would be to download or use a TomatoTimer app for studying where you work for 25minutes then have a 5 minutes break. Do this 4 times then take a 30minites break. This is a good system to follow on long study day’s when you dedicate 6-8hrs to study!

Make sure your desk or workspace is clear from any distractions and only have the information or the subject you are studying in front of you to make things simpler!

Have fun and good luck!
Original post by justjas33
For GCSEs? I mean now is the best time to make notes and revision resources so when you go back and enter y11 it’s more chill and you can focus on learning and making revision resources for all the new stuff you learn from September onwards. Plus when you have mocks you can get straight to revision. But I mean you can be revising daily now if that’s what you want but please don’t push yourself, y10 is your last chance to not revise and not feel guilty! I’d say do Monday to Fri and have weekends off if you want but you can totally do much less. You’re only in y10! And remember - quality not quantity.

But anyway, if you mean when do you start revision daily for your actual exams: I started (and most in my secondary school started) intensive daily revision from end of March/April of y11 but you should be doing some sort of revision throughout y11 before March/April obvs. (but not intense!!)

Hope this helped

Thank you. This was really helpful :smile:
Original post by ClaudiaVan
First off find a space to study. Somewhere that is quiet, and comfortable with lots of natural light coming through.
Second, make a list of everything you want to revise. prioritise things that are the most important (STEM subjects like English maths and science plus any which you find difficult).
If you have time, schedule in some sessions for half hour everyday. Increase it as and when you feel the need to! Don’t overwork yourself but get into a routine as it can help!
Top tip of mine would be to download or use a TomatoTimer app for studying where you work for 25minutes then have a 5 minutes break. Do this 4 times then take a 30minites break. This is a good system to follow on long study day’s when you dedicate 6-8hrs to study!

Make sure your desk or workspace is clear from any distractions and only have the information or the subject you are studying in front of you to make things simpler!

Have fun and good luck!

Thank you. This was really helpful :smile: Good luck to you too.
Original post by lulumillie02

No worries :smile: good luck!
Hi,
I am a student in Year 10 and I am wondering when is the best time to start revising? and the best way to start revising?

Start revising now, it really takes pressure off you in year 11, as next thing you know you're doing GCSE's. I created a weekly timetable, which really helped evenly balance my time. Put you're main focus on the subjects you enjoy and perform well in. Best way to revise changes between people, for me the more 'sa' based the subject was detailed yet summarised flashcards helped. But also covering your walls In mindmaps helps. Learning quotes I created quotes cards with the topic/character on one side and quote on other. The quicker you get the revising the quicker you can start doing practice papers which really upped my grades, start by using your resources as help and then slowly reduce the amount of time you look at them. YouTube also helped me with how to answer questions, would highly recommend watching 'how to do grade 9 response' even if you aren't aiming for it and make notes whilst watching. Hope this helps :smile:
The best time to start revising is as early as you can or whenever you feel comfortable to do so. However, it doesnt have to be hardcore revision but casual work as long as it's frequent as you can do so. I didn't start revision till January of year 11 - you'll be fine as long as you pay attention to lessons and put effort in homework and exams; it will help you so much in the future if you make sure you understand whatever you learn or did wrong. I suggest you start making your revision resources which will give you so much time to practice and use those resources for later on, especially for mocks and your actual exams.
Original post by babymochi
Start revising now, it really takes pressure off you in year 11, as next thing you know you're doing GCSE's. I created a weekly timetable, which really helped evenly balance my time. Put you're main focus on the subjects you enjoy and perform well in. Best way to revise changes between people, for me the more 'sa' based the subject was detailed yet summarised flashcards helped. But also covering your walls In mindmaps helps. Learning quotes I created quotes cards with the topic/character on one side and quote on other. The quicker you get the revising the quicker you can start doing practice papers which really upped my grades, start by using your resources as help and then slowly reduce the amount of time you look at them. YouTube also helped me with how to answer questions, would highly recommend watching 'how to do grade 9 response' even if you aren't aiming for it and make notes whilst watching. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by PetitePanda
The best time to start revising is as early as you can or whenever you feel comfortable to do so. However, it doesnt have to be hardcore revision but casual work as long as it's frequent as you can do so. I didn't start revision till January of year 11 - you'll be fine as long as you pay attention to lessons and put effort in homework and exams; it will help you so much in the future if you make sure you understand whatever you learn or did wrong. I suggest you start making your revision resources which will give you so much time to practice and use those resources for later on, especially for mocks and your actual exams.

Reply 10
Hi, I am currently a Year 12 student going into Year 13 and if I was in your position, unless you have mock exams in September, I would give myself a break for around two weeks as it is the holidays and then start to make a plan on how you will revise for the remaining weeks of your holiday and throughout the year. Once you have done this and you are happy with your timetable ensuring it is manageable and NOT too ambitious then just like others have said above you should start revising and then you should do past papers. In order to achieve Grade 9 or a high grade in ALL your subjects,you should revise throughout the whole year and enforce this near the end of Year 11,so during March and onwards. This answers your question on when to revise,now I will give you advice on the best way to revise.(GCSE's are difficult because you have a lot of subjects to revise for, HOWEVER once you do 4-5 subjects a day frequently,you will upgrade and it will be very easy for you,dw)!!!!1) You follow your timetable strictly following it,so for example if you have to revise English Language, Maths, Geography,Foodtech and RE today,then you must do the topics you assigned yourself that day and to make sure you understand what you have learnt,not memorising it but understanding it ,just like my Biology teacher says then do exam questions from CGP textguides or even from websites like PhysicsMathstutor(REALLY GOODDDDDD) and in terms of making notes, would say using a method called Cornell notes,search it up if you haven't heard of it and it is something you do in A-Levels so it is smg to consider or a method that works for you,maybe waych videos on youtube showing you good methods of notetaking f you haven't found it already.2) Take 15 minute breaks between each subject and for instance do 3 subjects in the morning for like 1 hour each and 2 subjects in the afternoon meaning that you have the whole evening off to do anything you desire. On a school day do 3-4 subjects in the evening and once again taking 15 minute breaks,BUT as on the weekend you have more time,do 4-5 subjects like on a holiday.3) Once you have revised all the content(make sure someone asks you once you complete a topic to further reinforce your knowledge) and you have completed exam questions,move onto past papers(VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT) as they will help you to acc apply the knowledge,so this means that instead of revising,you fill that time with 1 pastpaper for each subject you do in a day and just before you do that just quickly recap your topics.4) When doing pastpapers, FIRST do it open book with your notes and then after a week or so, do it in timed conditions without your notes and then mark it with green pen being strict using the markscheme,then check what grade you would get and everytime you do your pastpaper,you want to improve and get higher.If you are in school,you can go to clubs and also ask your teachers to mark a paper every 2 weeks or if it's an essay based subject,then 2-3 essays every other week.5) Finally, I would say fit in the extracurricular activities you do and social stuff you do aswell like in the evenings or in your break,so implement this in your timetable at the start.So,there you have it a simple way to revise and when to start revising.I hope this helps,if you have any questions replyand finally I would like to say,if you ever feel unmotivated just remember this time next year you will be chilling and that you do not want to be stressing near the time of the exam saying I wish I had revised during the year because otherwise it will be a very very stressful period of time,which it should not have to be,so please follow some sort of thing like this and you will be flying high in da sky.Also, I know this is very longggg sorry but start looking at courses you want to do for university and the type of universities you want to apply for as they have GCSE specific criteria or anything else you want to do like an apprenticeship etc. and even the grades you need to infact even get into sixthform or college etc.I hope this helps and wish you good luck in the forthseeing future,hopefully you get all Grade 9's in your GCSE'sGOOD LUCK lulumillie02!!!!! :smile:
Original post by 14424
Hi, I am currently a Year 12 student going into Year 13 and if I was in your position, unless you have mock exams in September, I would give myself a break for around two weeks as it is the holidays and then start to make a plan on how you will revise for the remaining weeks of your holiday and throughout the year. Once you have done this and you are happy with your timetable ensuring it is manageable and NOT too ambitious then just like others have said above you should start revising and then you should do past papers. In order to achieve Grade 9 or a high grade in ALL your subjects,you should revise throughout the whole year and enforce this near the end of Year 11,so during March and onwards. This answers your question on when to revise,now I will give you advice on the best way to revise.(GCSE's are difficult because you have a lot of subjects to revise for, HOWEVER once you do 4-5 subjects a day frequently,you will upgrade and it will be very easy for you,dw)!!!!1) You follow your timetable strictly following it,so for example if you have to revise English Language, Maths, Geography,Foodtech and RE today,then you must do the topics you assigned yourself that day and to make sure you understand what you have learnt,not memorising it but understanding it ,just like my Biology teacher says then do exam questions from CGP textguides or even from websites like PhysicsMathstutor(REALLY GOODDDDDD) and in terms of making notes, would say using a method called Cornell notes,search it up if you haven't heard of it and it is something you do in A-Levels so it is smg to consider or a method that works for you,maybe waych videos on youtube showing you good methods of notetaking f you haven't found it already.2) Take 15 minute breaks between each subject and for instance do 3 subjects in the morning for like 1 hour each and 2 subjects in the afternoon meaning that you have the whole evening off to do anything you desire. On a school day do 3-4 subjects in the evening and once again taking 15 minute breaks,BUT as on the weekend you have more time,do 4-5 subjects like on a holiday.3) Once you have revised all the content(make sure someone asks you once you complete a topic to further reinforce your knowledge) and you have completed exam questions,move onto past papers(VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT) as they will help you to acc apply the knowledge,so this means that instead of revising,you fill that time with 1 pastpaper for each subject you do in a day and just before you do that just quickly recap your topics.4) When doing pastpapers, FIRST do it open book with your notes and then after a week or so, do it in timed conditions without your notes and then mark it with green pen being strict using the markscheme,then check what grade you would get and everytime you do your pastpaper,you want to improve and get higher.If you are in school,you can go to clubs and also ask your teachers to mark a paper every 2 weeks or if it's an essay based subject,then 2-3 essays every other week.5) Finally, I would say fit in the extracurricular activities you do and social stuff you do aswell like in the evenings or in your break,so implement this in your timetable at the start.So,there you have it a simple way to revise and when to start revising.I hope this helps,if you have any questions replyand finally I would like to say,if you ever feel unmotivated just remember this time next year you will be chilling and that you do not want to be stressing near the time of the exam saying I wish I had revised during the year because otherwise it will be a very very stressful period of time,which it should not have to be,so please follow some sort of thing like this and you will be flying high in da sky.Also, I know this is very longggg sorry but start looking at courses you want to do for university and the type of universities you want to apply for as they have GCSE specific criteria or anything else you want to do like an apprenticeship etc. and even the grades you need to infact even get into sixthform or college etc.I hope this helps and wish you good luck in the forthseeing future,hopefully you get all Grade 9's in your GCSE'sGOOD LUCK lulumillie02!!!!! :smile:

Thank you so much. This was really helpful :smile:.
Ahhh Thank You, fingers crossed I do well.
This advice is amazing and I will definitely use this.
Good luck for next year too. :biggrin:
Reply 12
I am glad this is helpful:smile:
Thank you and Good luck to you too!!!!
You can get the grades dw.
Once again Good luck for the future:smile:
Even before you start, ensure you are having a good nights sleep, a tip I give all people about to take exams. You will learn/absorb ideas better as a result.
Reply 14
Original post by barnetlad
Even before you start, ensure you are having a good nights sleep, a tip I give all people about to take exams. You will learn/absorb ideas better as a result.

Yep barnetlad I agree!
Original post by 14424
I am glad this is helpful:smile:
Thank you and Good luck to you too!!!!
You can get the grades dw.
Once again Good luck for the future:smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
Thank you :smile:

Ur welcome lulumillie02:smile:!

Quick Reply