The Student Room Group

EE PHONE Company

Is there anyone on a plan with EE that was able to get out of their phone contract?

I’m not working and literally have funds coming from my parents for the bare necessities like rent, water, electricity, groceries and gas. I’m stuck paying virgin media for WiFi I don’t need and I’m also stuck paying EE for data I don’t need since I have the WiFi. I missed two months of payment and going into the third month. When I called them to ask for some kind of help, all they could offer me was a £80 payment plan which I still can’t afford. I asked if they could just cancel the data since I pay for my phone as well and I was told I’d have to pay for full termination which is the rest of the contract period. Now I’ve received word that my account is going into debt collections unless I pay in full and I don’t know what to do because I don’t have the money. I’ve been applying loads for work and even moved back overseas to my parents for the time being and still can’t find anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Second_Beauty
Is there anyone on a plan with EE that was able to get out of their phone contract?

I’m not working and literally have funds coming from my parents for the bare necessities like rent, water, electricity, groceries and gas. I’m stuck paying virgin media for WiFi I don’t need and I’m also stuck paying EE for data I don’t need since I have the WiFi. I missed two months of payment and going into the third month. When I called them to ask for some kind of help, all they could offer me was a £80 payment plan which I still can’t afford. I asked if they could just cancel the data since I pay for my phone as well and I was told I’d have to pay for full termination which is the rest of the contract period. Now I’ve received word that my account is going into debt collections unless I pay in full and I don’t know what to do because I don’t have the money. I’ve been applying loads for work and even moved back overseas to my parents for the time being and still can’t find anything.

For the Virgin media, is it a 12-month contract? You might have to wait till the end. The EE situation is difficult though.
Reply 2

you signed the contract, now you have to deal with the consequences.
Soak it up as one of life's lessons and be more careful next time.

I suggest you ask your parents for help before this gets any worse. Offer to pay them back if need be. Your credit score is probably already damaged by this.. , and if debt collection agencies are needed then a whole load of charges will be added and you could end up one of those people you read about who had like a £30 debt ...and now they owe £13,000 due to spiraling costs.
Original post by ANM775
you signed the contract, now you have to deal with the consequences.
Soak it up as one of life's lessons and be more careful next time.

I suggest you ask your parents for help before this gets any worse. Offer to pay them back if need be. Your credit score is probably already damaged by this.. , and if debt collection agencies are needed then a whole load of charges will be added and you could end up one of those people you read about who had like a £30 debt ...and now they owe £13,000 due to spiraling costs.

It’s not like I was being irresponsible. I stopped working and couldn’t find a job because of the covid 19 lockdown. A lot of people are struggling financially through all of this. When I was working, I worked extra hours to ensure all my bills were paid while studying full time. I feel like those companies should be offering more help like other companies are doing during this pandemic atleast in some kind of way.
Original post by TheStarboy
For the Virgin media, is it a 12-month contract? You might have to wait till the end. The EE situation is difficult though.

Yeah it is. I’ve contacted them already and they said the same thing that EE did. I’m more upset with EE cause the plan turned out to be more costly after the first month. The rate that was explained to me was cheaper then what I’m paying now.
You should apply for universal credit.
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
You should apply for universal credit.

How does the universal credit work? Could you give me a link if you don’t mind ?
Yeah it is. I’ve contacted them already and they said the same thing that EE did. I’m more upset with EE cause the plan turned out to be more costly after the first month. The rate that was explained to me was cheaper then what I’m paying now.

EE and Virgin are probably on the same type of contract. It's unlikely that you’ll be able to leave until the end of the contract. The best you can do is find an alternative for your situation or pay the fees and wait till the end of the contract.
How does the universal credit work? Could you give me a link if you don’t mind ?

go onto the government website find universal credit apply for it. then it asks you to verify your identity, normally they would interview you but because of this China virus they just call you after a few days. then you get paid every month
Reply 9

if you're not employed/in education and are looking for work you can apply
go onto the government website find universal credit apply for it. then it asks you to verify your identity, normally they would interview you but because of this China virus they just call you after a few days. then you get paid every month

EE cut my number off although I should’ve been able to keep receiving calls. I think I have a lebara SIM card somewhere about but I’m overseas. I had to go back to my parents because I couldn’t financially support myself so I don’t know if the SIM card will receive calls. Do you think they’d correspond through email?
EE cut my number off although I should’ve been able to keep receiving calls. I think I have a lebara SIM card somewhere about but I’m overseas. I had to go back to my parents because I couldn’t financially support myself so I don’t know if the SIM card will receive calls. Do you think they’d correspond through email?

no jdea
Original post by TheStarboy
EE and Virgin are probably on the same type of contract. It's unlikely that you’ll be able to leave until the end of the contract. The best you can do is find an alternative for your situation or pay the fees and wait till the end of the contract.

Thanks. I’ve already given in to that fact. I’ve been trying to find other ways to make money but it hasn’t pull through yet. Definitely after all of this though, I’m going to look at other companies on both ends. One of my friends using O2 has never experienced the extra charges etc like EE.
no jdea

Alright, thanks for your help. I’ll try contacting them and see.
Original post by ANM775
if you're not employed/in education and are looking for work you can apply

I’m a student so I guess that’s a no go. Thanks for the heads up.

You need to pay them up. You knew what you signed up for when you signed the contract, therefore you are legally obligated to pay up.

The amount you owe will only increase as you defer it and your credit rating will spiral downwards.

Can your parents not help cover the money owed?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16

Thanks. I’ve already given in to that fact. I’ve been trying to find other ways to make money but it hasn’t pull through yet. Definitely after all of this though, I’m going to look at other companies on both ends. One of my friends using O2 has never experienced the extra charges etc like EE.

Seriously, just swallow your pride and ask your parents for the cash before things get any worse

If you don't get a handle on this soon you will be paying baliff/debt collection fee's/court costs and end up owing 1000s
Original post by ANM775
Seriously, just swallow your pride and ask your parents for the cash before things get any worse

If you don't get a handle on this soon you will be paying baliff/debt collection fee's/court costs and end up owing 1000s

Original post by RoyalSheepy
You need to pay them up. You knew what you signed up for when you signed the contract, therefore you are legally obligated to pay up.

The amount you owe will only increase as you defer it and your credit rating will spiral downwards.

Can your parents not help cover the money owed?

I’m aware of what the results will be if I continue to drag on it. I’ve already been asking my parents for money to pay off the bill but they’ve got bills of their own and other younger kids to take care of. I was trying to figure out a solution myself but couldn’t hence why I came on here asking for advice. I also wanted to hear how other phone companies differ from EE and what have other people experienced with EE.

When I was working, I ensured all my bills were paid. I’m not working anymore and I’ve been applying for EVERYTHING that I come across. I’m also studying so was only able to work part time. When I wasn’t at uni, I worked. So it’s not just about pride or being irresponsible. My parents have their own stuff going on, I would’ve preferred to not bother them. But I acknowledge that I’m out of options now.
Reply 18

Maybe ask them to change your contract to an alternative contract which is chepaer
It was not a case of getting into a contract with unstable income. I was working when I got into the contract in a permanent role and making payments like regular. Also the price of the contract became higher after a few months in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending