The Student Room Group

To remap or not?

My car is a 2.2 Turbocharged diesel and i've spoken to a couple of lads who have said different things, some say it's worth it some do not.

Would it be a smart idea to remap it considering i'm almost 20 and fear insurance will spike? Apparently it'll increase by roughly 25-30 BHP bringing it to around 170+ BHP.

good idea or not?
Doesn't sound it, how old is the car?
I remapped my car a few months back when I had people telling me not to. Best decision I’ve ever made.
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
My car is a 2.2 Turbocharged diesel and i've spoken to a couple of lads who have said different things, some say it's worth it some do not.

Would it be a smart idea to remap it considering i'm almost 20 and fear insurance will spike? Apparently it'll increase by roughly 25-30 BHP bringing it to around 170+ BHP.

good idea or not?

Get a quote. You'll likely find it's not worth it.
Reply 4
How old are you? The insurance hike will highly depend on your age/driving record.

If your insurance won't be prohibitive then remapping diesels will usually give you a fantastic return. I'd make sure to use a proper company who utilise a rolling road to tailor the map to your engine, not a generic mapper who'll pump and dump.
Original post by Nuffles
not a generic mapper who'll pump and dump.

I'm pretty sure they accept cash :colonhash:
Original post by IWMTom
Get a quote. You'll likely find it's not worth it.

In you opinion why wouldn't it be worth it? (We're talking £150-300)
Original post by StriderHort
Doesn't sound it, how old is the car

Fairly old
Fairly old

My worry would be it blows something. Diesels tend to be better at remapping (AFAIK) but still...all it takes is an ageing valve, seal, gasket ect that can't handle the extra pressure.

Your pretty young and your insurance almost certainly would spike, also makes trhe car harder to sell on as it's modified, assuming of course you play honest.

On my SLK, to change one of the crank pulleys and remap would have been about £500-750 for maybe 15-20 extra hp at wheels, just not worth it at all for the risk of blowing something.

Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
My worry would be it blows something. Diesels tend to be better at remapping (AFAIK) but still...all it takes is an ageing valve, seal, gasket ect that can't handle the extra pressure.

Your pretty young and your insurance almost certainly would spike, also makes trhe car harder to sell on as it's modified, assuming of course you play honest.

On my SLK, to change one of the crank pulleys and remap would have been about £500-750 for maybe 15-20 extra hp at wheels, just not worth it at all for the risk of blowing something.

Diesels are a whole other kettle of fish. Like I said, if you can stomach the insurance hike (or if the hike isn't that bad) then a £300 remap can give you a 25-30% boost in power and torque. Diesels are over-built by design due to the much higher compression rations they run. If your engine is tired then you'll have other problems anyway even without a remap.

This is also why I said take it to a professional remapper with a rolling road. They'll remap with it on the rolling road and tailor the map to your engine and requirements. A bit worried about your clutch? They can smooth out the torque spike and limit stress on your clutch as a result.

Companies that simply plug a computer in and install a map for a hundred quid are far more likely to leave you with big mechanical bills in the future. The boxes that you plug in yourself are even worse.
Original post by Nuffles
Diesels are a whole other kettle of fish. Like I said, if you can stomach the insurance hike (or if the hike isn't that bad) then a £300 remap can give you a 25-30% boost in power and torque. Diesels are over-built by design due to the much higher compression rations they run. If your engine is tired then you'll have other problems anyway even without a remap.

This is also why I said take it to a professional remapper with a rolling road. They'll remap with it on the rolling road and tailor the map to your engine and requirements. A bit worried about your clutch? They can smooth out the torque spike and limit stress on your clutch as a result.

Companies that simply plug a computer in and install a map for a hundred quid are far more likely to leave you with big mechanical bills in the future. The boxes that you plug in yourself are even worse.

Yea no arguments there, I do get that diesels can take more pressure and you're obv going to get a better result from a proper tune than any amount of plug & play stuff. My main worry would be age and whether the hp gain was actually going to be worthwhile vs the value of the car (in my case, god no, about 50% what I paid for the car, but that's petrol and needed a pulley)
Reply 11
In you opinion why wouldn't it be worth it? (We're talking £150-300)

Are we, or is that just a guess?
Original post by IWMTom
Are we, or is that just a guess?

Not exactly a quote, but I was told that's how much it would cost.
Original post by Nuffles

May hold this off and consider all these upgrades to my car when I get a decently 'better' car. Insurance and risk of engine blowing are a concern, especially as I don't intend to keep this car for very long. Thanks though!
Reply 14
Not exactly a quote, but I was told that's how much it would cost.

I repeat.. get a quote.
Original post by Nuffles
How old are you? The insurance hike will highly depend on your age/driving record.

If your insurance won't be prohibitive then remapping diesels will usually give you a fantastic return. I'd make sure to use a proper company who utilise a rolling road to tailor the map to your engine, not a generic mapper who'll pump and dump.

I second this ^

If you do remap don't get some cheap back of the van £50 job and certainly do not get a "tuning box". Get it done properly. That of course will cost more so you'll likely find that the increase in insurance plus the cost of mapping itself will outweigh the benefits. Whilst you may return better fuel economy it won't add up over short term, especially as you mentioned you want to sell the car soon.
Depends what engine it is. What car, year, model?

If it is truly 20bhp max you'd get out of it, not even worth it.
Too many variables. The BHP is often not the most noticeable quality of life change from a remap of a small power increase, its the fact it feels a lot smoother the car is more responsive.

If you have a mod friendly insurer - Worth it for a small increase.
If not - absolutely not.

You have to get a quote from this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending