The Student Room Group

Honest opinion on Studytubers

I've been watching Studytubers on YouTube for a few years now to get revision tips and often just as entertainment, but was wondering what the general perception on them is?

I'm quite a big fan of Jack Edwards and Eve Bennett because they're relatable, funny and have a nice balance of content; it's good to see students that also go on night outs, enjoy themselves, while also achieving highly.

I used to like Unjaded Jade, but now find her a bit too much. The 4am morning routines, yoga breaks, lavish gap years, veganism and having dates with yourself seem wonderful on paper, but how realistic is it for the average, impressionable teenage girl to achieve that level of perfectionism?

I can't stand Ruby Granger. It's almost like she's playing a role and is overly childish; 14 hour study sessions aren't healthy either, and kids will think you have to replicate that to get results. Crying over a high 2:2 in a first uni assessment which didn't mean anything was also not a good image.

Just wondering everyone else's opinions and open to criticism!

Scroll to see replies

I don't like any of them. :emo:
Reply 2
Eve Bennett is the only one I really find relatable now, however some of Jack Edwards’ content is really entertaining. They used to be really good and relatable, but every year their audience is completely changing with new, younger students wanting GCSE and A level advice. Now that they’ve all passed GCSEs, A levels, and a lot of them have even gone all the way through uni, they’re no longer very relatable for students still wanting study advice. I’d definitely agree that a lot of their recent content is just not what their audience is wanting to watch anymore, but as long as they’re doing what makes them happy then let them carry on. Perhaps a new era of relatable studytubers that are currently sitting their GCSEs and A levels are in demand?
Reply 3
The only videos from "studytubers" that I've watched were Ruby Grainger's and Jade's results videos, out of curiosity. I've not had much reason to watch them.
I think they can be useful for just study advice, but that's not the sort of thing you need to subscribe and watch regularly for. Once you know how to, maybe revise instead of watching others revise?

But yeah not a fan of Ruby Grainger from the very little I know. A*AA is excellent but really not worth the number of hours of revision she did.
Original post by Culver
Eve Bennett is the only one I really find relatable now, however some of Jack Edwards’ content is really entertaining. They used to be really good and relatable, but every year their audience is completely changing with new, younger students wanting GCSE and A level advice. Now that they’ve all passed GCSEs, A levels, and a lot of them have even gone all the way through uni, they’re no longer very relatable for students still wanting study advice. I’d definitely agree that a lot of their recent content is just not what their audience is wanting to watch anymore, but as long as they’re doing what makes them happy then let them carry on. Perhaps a new era of relatable studytubers that are currently sitting their GCSEs and A levels are in demand?

That's a really good point actually - say Jack is talking about Masters, Eve does more lifestyle videos/uni stuff; it's only Ruby who seems to retain the more childlike "night time routines" and study sessions.

I think they will always have their audience and core fans, but aren't as relatable as those who are looking for GCSE advice say.
Original post by Sinnoh
The only videos from "studytubers" that I've watched were Ruby Grainger's and Jade's results videos, out of curiosity. I've not had much reason to watch them.
I think they can be useful for just study advice, but that's not the sort of thing you need to subscribe and watch regularly for. Once you know how to, maybe revise instead of watching others revise?

But yeah not a fan of Ruby Grainger from the very little I know. A*AA is excellent but really not worth the number of hours of revision she did.

Of course A*AA is an excellent set of grades, but those 14 hour study with me videos and "why I don't take revision breaks" videos really aren't healthy for impressionable teenagers.

They'll want to be like Ruby and genuinely believe that you need to do that amount to have any chance of success, when that isn't further from the truth.

People who would have done 1 hour per day would have gotten better grades.
You guys watch people study? Only time I do is to procrastinate by watching people study thus making me feel productive.
My studying is more like unpredictable energised bursts of studying.
Damn I feel stressed now lol brb gonna study.
I've said the word study so much. Oh well ill do it tomorrow...

Keep it up people! :h:
dislike most of them cos they are so annoying and sjws. cant stand eve cornwell, unjaded jade, holly gabrielle ect and jack edwards urghhh

unjaded jade is so stupid for going to a uni nobody even knows the name of shes also so sjw and annoying
holly gabrielle is socially awkward and i wont surprised if she'll never have a bf lol
Vee Kativhu: dont even get me started on this one
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by LLBStudent2021
Of course A*AA is an excellent set of grades, but those 14 hour study with me videos and "why I don't take revision breaks" videos really aren't healthy for impressionable teenagers.

They'll want to be like Ruby and genuinely believe that you need to do that amount to have any chance of success, when that isn't further from the truth.

Yeah I agree. God knows what she'd get if she revised like I did, i.e. chaotically at best. If she's still working that hard at uni then fair enough she'd be disappointed over a 2:2, that's a lot of work just to keep your head above the water.
I don’t know if this counts as a study-tuber, but I mainly watch Ali Abdaal. Found his interview prep videos a great help.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've been watching Studytubers on YouTube for a few years now to get revision tips and often just as entertainment, but was wondering what the general perception on them is?

I'm quite a big fan of Jack Edwards and Eve Bennett because they're relatable, funny and have a nice balance of content; it's good to see students that also go on night outs, enjoy themselves, while also achieving highly.

I used to like Unjaded Jade, but now find her a bit too much. The 4am morning routines, yoga breaks, lavish gap years, veganism and having dates with yourself seem wonderful on paper, but how realistic is it for the average, impressionable teenage girl to achieve that level of perfectionism?

I can't stand Ruby Granger. It's almost like she's playing a role and is overly childish; 14 hour study sessions aren't healthy either, and kids will think you have to replicate that to get results. Crying over a high 2:2 in a first uni assessment which didn't mean anything was also not a good image.

I like Jack Edwards, and Rhiannon Clark, Student vlogs Dylan, I did like Charlie Collette but shes not longer a you tuber. WatchDevante is fun. its about 5 years old the videos but omg he has such a blast with his friends at Lancaster, and they all contribute too and not shy. All of his 11 mates in his flat are super social :smile:

ikr lmao i got A*A and i went weeks without doing much. i obviously revised dont get me wrong but i never spent 12 hour days it seems so unproductive. ruby is also socially awkward i mean she wore a tie in her latest video so weird
Original post by Culver

jack edwards is gay right?
Reply 13

I'm also a massive fan of Jack Edwards - he's quite relatable, funny and has a good balance of content. He has his own company that sells academic planners and more recently written his own book sharing his experiences of uni life - still useful for A-Level students too.

I also like PaigeY's YouTube channel but I didn't really follow through her content much but to me, she seems to be a decent Studytuber. :smile:

Yeah, I agree with the comments regarding Ruby Granger - 14 hrs study sessions aren't healthy at all especially if you're not taking regular breaks and breaking it down to manageable small chunks. Plus a high 2.2 in your first uni assessment isn't bad - I was fortunate to get pretty much high 2.1s except for one politics essay in which I got a 2.2 but hey ho. First year doesn't count and at least from essay feedbacks, you'll know what to do next time (hopefully).
Original post by Sinnoh
Yeah I agree. God knows what she'd get if she revised like I did, i.e. chaotically at best. If she's still working that hard at uni then fair enough she'd be disappointed over a 2:2, that's a lot of work just to keep your head above the water.

I've only seen bits and pieces of her but saw that 2:2 video and it was an assessment which didn't even count. It's like doing averagely in a school test which means nothing and getting really worked up about it.

I understand she likely worked hard/has a perfectionist outlook but I don't see how it's healthy at all and sends out a bad message.
Eh, I don't really like any of them too much.
I really like studytube as a whole.

Eve Bennet is probably one of my favourite studytubers as her content is varied and she’s also honest about having days where she studies less/more, it seems more realistic. The same is true for Jack Edwards (also like the puns in his videos).

I like the style of Ruby Granger’s videos, I’ve only recently subscribed to her channel though so have only seen a few of her videos. I also really like her fashion sense, it’s inspired my own as well.

Vee Kativhu’s videos are brilliant and inspirational. Her channel has helped inspire so many people and the work she does is amazing.

I find UnJaded Jade’s videos less relatable to me personally as I’ve not taken a gap year and don’t plan on travelling much until after my degree, but I do still love her videos, especially the travel vlogs. Her Oxford rejection videos also really helped me feel better about my university rejection.

Simon Clark’s and Dr Becky’s videos I also enjoy. I don’t think they really count as studytubers as such, but I’ve found there pHD videos really useful and interesting.

Haha I’ve just realised just how much studytube I actually watch :lol:
i watched abit of ruby granger for some tips and tricks but i feel with her she will end up studying herself into the ground

PaigeY is sooo underrated. I really recommend her. So motivational and humble and modest.
don't like ruby granger. eve bennett, jack edwards and unjaded jade i watch from time to time, i like their stuff :yes:

Latest