The Student Room Group

Math at Edinburgh University or Cardiff University?

I have offers from both universities to study Mathematics. Which university is a better option to go for?
Original post by hhoxford
I have offers from both universities to study Mathematics. Which university is a better option to go for?

What kind of maths are you interested in?
Reply 2
Mathematics and Statistics or Mathematics and Financial Math
Can you tolerate Scottish people? If not you might want to go for Cardiff.
Reply 4
Are they that bad?
Edinburgh of course!!! Cardiff is a good backup option.
Are they that bad?

Lol I'm half Scottish so I may be biased but Scottish ppl are great, dw about what the person above said
Reply 7
Thanks
I am just a bit hesitant as the BSc courses in Edinburgh is four years vs three at Cardiff
Thanks
I am just a bit hesitant as the BSc courses in Edinburgh is four years vs three at Cardiff

Yeah that's true, which one did you prefer when you visited them? (Assuming you've looked at them)
Reply 9
I have only been to Cardiff
Thanks

Edinburgh is great uni so I wouldn't rule it out completely just because it's usually takes 4 years to do a BSc. There's an option to do a direct entry to second year, it does tend to have higher entry requirements though.

BSc Mathematics and Statistics
Second year entry
For direct entry to second year the standard requirements must be exceeded, including the following:
- SQA Advanced Highers: AAA to include Mathematics. One further science subject is recommended.
- A Levels: A*AA in one set of exams to include Mathematics at A* and Further Mathematics at A.
- IB: 38 points with 766 at HL to include Mathematics at 7. Further Mathematics is recommended.

I was gonna upload the requirements for Mathematics and Financial Maths but I couldn't find it!

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=subject&code=6
Reply 11
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest