The Student Room Group

universities that do modules in cyber security law?

I'm going to be studying law in 2021 and I'm looking for universities and studying for my September exams/LNAT.

is there some place I can search course modules specifically a cross multiple universities? if not does anyone know any universities that have law modules in cyber security law?

I'm looking for a good in to the stem field, since my GCSE's are lacking and I chose art, RPE and English language for A levels. I reckon doing a module in that field may look good on a CV. it also gives me something to talk about in an interview.
I'm interested in cyber law so i know a fair bit but there's not a lot that's specifically cyber law except maybe as a topic in specific modules (e.g. my Durham mentor told me she does the ethics of legal technology in the philosophy of law). It would be so great to search for modules but you have to go to each website from each website. There's not a ton of unis with modules in it (from what I have researched) except Law with legal technology at the university of law. Wait wdym you are looking for a good in to the stem field?
Reply 2
I'd like to eventually work in the stem field but I don't really have good gcses or related a levels.
Unless I am missing something, doing 1 module within a Law degree isn't really going to get you into a STEM field. Which sort of STEM job did you have in mind?
Original post by CoronaCat
I'm going to be studying law in 2021 and I'm looking for universities and studying for my September exams/LNAT.

is there some place I can search course modules specifically a cross multiple universities? if not does anyone know any universities that have law modules in cyber security law?

I'm looking for a good in to the stem field, since my GCSE's are lacking and I chose art, RPE and English language for A levels. I reckon doing a module in that field may look good on a CV. it also gives me something to talk about in an interview.

there's no convenient list of this
you're just gonna have to draw up a shortlist and go through it one by one

when you say that you want to work in STEM, i'm guessing that you mean in a legal or other support capacity?
Reply 5
oh. that's a little disheartening to hear. my naive self was seriously hoping it might. I'd like to go into cyber security or data analytics. I'm already looking into intelligence analysis perhaps? business analytics is a low priority.
Reply 6
no I mean as a researcher, in hindsight it seems pretty far fetched I suppose. will I have to get another degree after this one?
no I mean as a researcher, in hindsight it seems pretty far fetched I suppose. will I have to get another degree after this one?

probably? have you tried looking up the minimum requirements for these roles online??
Law will not help you to get into that sort of role. You would have to do post graduate conversion courses to do what you want to do. And if that’s your aim then it seems like a waste of a degree to do law when you don’t want to be doing it surely...
Reply 9
i wouldn't do an llb if your only interest is cyber law. for one) academic law is more theory than practical learning, so you may study a theory of intellectual property but you won't study what you need to work in it. two) it's going to be a small part of your degree and there's no guarantee it'll even be offered the year you want it because often 'niche' law is offered based on demand and who's available to teach that year. three) law is too hard and too painful to study if you don't have a genuine interest in it. i wouldn't make yourself miserable if you don't have to :smile:
I'd like to eventually work in the stem field but I don't really have good gcses or related a levels.

Sorry I did not see this because I didn’t get the notification - if you want me to see it, @ me or quote me. What GCSEs do you have and what a level subjects do you have? What year are you in?
Reply 11
I'm in year 12 going into year 13, I got a 5 in maths and a 5 in English literature, a 7 in English language, all 5 in triple science and I'm predicted AAA in a levels currently in English language, art and RPE

Original post by PetitePanda
Sorry I did not see this because I didn’t get the notification - if you want me to see it, @ me or quote me. What GCSEs do you have and what a level subjects do you have? What year are you in?
Reply 12
Original post by Joleee
too painful to study if you don't have a genuine interest in it. i wouldn't make yourself miserable if you don't have to :smile:

it isn't my only interest, I have a deep personal fascination rhetoric and philosophy. I just also have a similar interest in technology and programing.

I didn't know that thing about professors on demand though, thanks!
Reply 13
Original post by GabiAbi84
post graduate conversion courses

would you still consider it a waste of a degree if it's for personal interest? I love to learn.
Reply 14
Original post by EU Yakov
probably? have you tried looking up the minimum requirements for these roles online??

yeah, since I didn't do any scientific a levels it's looking like I'm going to have to do a foundation year or something

I just worry I'll have trouble supporting myself during all of this learning. is that an issue people run into regularly when they're doing two degrees on top of eachother?

Quick Reply

Latest