The Student Room Group

Troll studies 🤓

Ngl I have always been fascinated by the psychology of TSR trolls ever since joining this site :lol: With the momentous recent reincarnation of Demi, I started asking myself the question "why do some dedicate so much time to trolling and what is the point?" I found this and thought the TSRian population may be interested.

Apparently, trolling is an actual addiction.
If you are a troll and reading this, here is a quote from the famous Donald Trump Reddit troll "Don't be embarrassed to ask for help."

Some psychologists and academics who have studied online trolls do note commonalities between excessive trolling habits and use disorders, though only to a point. They say it's a catch-22: Although trolling is a serious problem for which many people should get psychological treatment, some trolls are unlikely to ever seek it.

Psychological studies show trolls tend to be male, show higher levels of psychopathy traits low levels of empathy, guilt and responsibility for their actions and higher levels of sadism traits, the enjoyment of causing others physical and psychological pain.

Trolls are also motivated by what psychologists call "atypical social rewards".

Not all trolls exhibit traits like low affective empathy or psychopathy. Some may simply be motivated by negative social rewards, like creating mayhem.

And creating mayhem motivates the troll to keep going back for more.

To add:
The advice "do not feed the trolls" is the best for us and the trolls themselves

"Trolling gives toxic personality types the perfect reward," Neo says. "They get to witness their effects. and every time they do that, dopamine floods their brain synapses, firing off their reward neurocircuitry. It's the perfect reinforcement to repeat the behaviour over and over again."

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applaud you on the title itself, very catchy :hubba:
Hi, my name is DiddyDec and I am a reformed troll.
Fascinating 🤩 tell me more, tell me more 😏
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec

I still see the little red shadows under your username..

This made me laugh :rofl3:

You will now be subject to testing by the government.
Original post by macy_m
I applaud you on the title itself, very catchy :hubba:

Why thank you :tea:
Original post by macy_m
I still see the little red shadows under your username..

Impossible this account is clean as a whistle.

Original post by Chopinnocturne31
You will now be subject to testing by the government.

I'm hiding behind 7 proxies :evilbanana:
Where can I sign up to this degree please 🙋
The introductory modules on TSR's new Troll Studies BA course include aspects of the Billy Goats Gruff theory. :yep: :yep:
Reply 11
Impossible this account is clean as a whistle.

What if you stutter, then your whistle isn't as clean and perfect.. :cool:
At which universities is this degree offered @Synergy_?

The proxies are not foolproof. You will be found... 😤
FUN FACT:

trolls also like to use the anon feature so its harder to track who made the thread
Some trolls just don't come out from under the bridge :dontknow:

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Where can I sign up to this degree please 🙋

Why, the University of Trollology, of course - where else! :grin:
Original post by raptor jesus
fun fact:

trolls also like to use the anon feature so its harder to track who made the thread

this is some groundbreaking info here 😱
Original post by Raptor Jesus
FUN FACT:

OMG who knew :shock:
Reply 18
Original post by Raptor Jesus
FUN FACT:

unless you're a mod
So now the competition is between Oxford University, Cambridge University and the University of Trollology? Oxbridgology?

Latest