The Student Room Group

self love thread! ☺️💓

Scroll to see replies

loving yourself isn’t vanity; it’s sanity
Katrina Mayer 💓
Original post by Nutella!
loving yourself isn’t vanity; it’s sanity
Katrina Mayer 💓

If someone had little confidence in themselves what advice would you give?
Original post by Goldie-Is-King
If someone had little confidence in themselves what advice would you give?

well it depends on how long i have to give advice. i can go essay style, or short and to the point (if i think hard) which would you like?
Just thought I'd share Mabel is my favourite she's such an inspiration and self-love is something she promotes, listening to West Ten rn, huge bop.

Love, this thread btw :blush:
Day 2!
Something Im proud of: not getting too agitated about social distancing when i went shopping today! 😌💓

last time i went in primark it was near disastrous! there were people everywhere and it kinda overwhelmed me. at first i was frustrated at the fact it overwhelmed me, but then i eventually accepted it: i hadn’t really been in any shops at that point. it was all new stuff to me. but today was different! i actually did some shoppingggg 🛍💓
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Just thought I'd share Mabel is my favourite she's such an inspiration and self-love is something she promotes, listening to West Ten rn, huge bop.

Love, this thread btw :blush:

ooh, thank you lovely! ☺️💓
i’ll check out some of her stuff now! what would you recommend? :jumphug:
ooh, thank you lovely! ☺️💓
i’ll check out some of her stuff now! what would you recommend? :jumphug:

Probs don't call me up :smile: huge girl boss song and bad behaviour

and selfish love hehe
6925F1B0-A60D-46D8-939A-9AAF0A5A15F1.png
well it depends on how long i have to give advice. i can go essay style, or short and to the point (if i think hard) which would you like?

essey style it means alot to me:frown:
essey style it means alot to me:frown:

okayyyy! i’ll write one up on notes and post it later :jumphug:
okayyyy! i’ll write one up on notes and post it later :jumphug:

thanks.........this is not the challenge though its just something im interested in:colondollar:
thanks.........this is not the challenge though its just something im interested in:colondollar:

hold up, what was it again. you deleted the post n i’m gonna do it now!
Day 3!

Something Im grateful for: being able to see my family! even if it’s from a distance in the garden ☺️💓
hold up, what was it again. you deleted the post n i’m gonna do it now!

I never deleted it its still there
If someone has little confidence in themselves what advice would you give
I never deleted it its still there
If someone has little confidence in themselves what advice would you give

oh yes it is. my eyes were deceiving me it would seem. okay i’m on it now ☺️
@Goldie-Is-King last question: do you want this written to someone who wants to gain more confidence or to someone who just has little and needs reassurance that’s okay? my advice would vary depending on your answer to this question.
@Goldie-Is-King last question: do you want this written to someone who wants to gain more confidence or to someone who just has little and needs reassurance that’s okay? my advice would vary depending on your answer to this question.

The first thing.__...._i have no confidence and i wish i was better:redface:
If someone has little confidence in themselves and wants to gain more, what advice would you give them?
*Okay so before I begin, I would just like to say that I am going through a lot of this stuff right now, as we speak. I have done a lot of this stuff, I have experience, I have stories. If there’s anything you’d like me to explain better, or go into more detail, or put an example next to let me know!

This is something I’ve only recently came to terms with and haven’t spoken about at all yet, but being shy and being confident aren’t real things. Where do you draw the line between the two? Yes, they’re opposites, where does one turn into the other? You can’t just go from shy *click fingers* to confident. What even defines these terms other than false expectations in our heads? There’s a mid ground. It isn’t spoken about. But it’s there. And that’s where you want to be. It’s comfortable and luxurious and probably what you’re aiming for without even realising it!

So how do we shift from one outlook on life to another? It’s not easy, I’ll be brutally honest with you. If you’ve always been the quiet, timid type, suddenly switching the game can be hard, when you’ve been playing the same one your entire life. You don’t know the controls of the new game. But you can learn, and you can become used to it. The first step is to accept change is possible. You need to see some sort of change. It’s not as simple as a finger click.

The first physical thing I’d recommend doing is sitting down and thinking. What do you actually want? You wanna have more confidence huh? Why? What’s changed? Why are you no longer content with being shy? What do you want? Write it down. Everything. Have a good ol’ brain fart. And then do some more thinking. So okay, here’s my reasoning. I wanna be able to do this, this and this. Okay that’s nice, but how? How exactly are you gonna do that? Break it down into little steps, the smaller, the better, trust me.

Righto. So once we’ve got the small steps nailed we can actually work on doing them. The reason small steps are better is because they’re more achievable short term. Eventually you will be able to achieve the end goal, but not immediately. You have to accept that. Change will come. If you work hard for it. Each time you complete a step, why not reward yourself? A lil motivation never hurt nobody. And each time you repeat, it’ll become easier. And soon you’ll be able to do it with ease.

A few things to bear in mind: don’t expect rapid progress. Be gentle with yourself. Things may be tough, you may need a break. That’s understandable, that’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get so and so done. It’s okay. It’s all part of the process. You want this right? Don’t surrender due to the hardship you may feel. Trust me, you’ll feel a lot worse if you just give up partway through. Long lasting dedication is needed.

Self love, positive affirmations and community. All play major roles. When I’m about to do something tough, I’ll spend five minutes beforehand scrolling through self love and positive content, to fill me with an unexplainable energy. It hyped me up, prepares me. Get yourself a crew too. This can be one person. Just please above all do not make the mistake I did and fight silently and fail and fail and fail for so so long. The greatest thing on this journey I did was talk. Tell somebody what you’re doing. They may have some get support, advice and ideas. I spoke to my HoY. Friends, family, teachers etc. Or even me! I’m rooting for every single one of you and know that y’all will achieve your dreams and more. And now I like to consider myself an advocate for this sort of stuff on my private socials and here. Progress is so clear. It may not be in the moment, but don’t let that dishearten you. One day it’ll be so clear. Trust me.
If someone has little confidence in themselves and wants to gain more, what advice would you give them?
*Okay so before I begin, I would just like to say that I am going through a lot of this stuff right now, as we speak. I have done a lot of this stuff, I have experience, I have stories. If there’s anything you’d like me to explain better, or go into more detail, or put an example next to let me know!

This is something I’ve only recently came to terms with and haven’t spoken about at all yet, but being shy and being confident aren’t real things. Where do you draw the line between the two? Yes, they’re opposites, where does one turn into the other? You can’t just go from shy *click fingers* to confident. What even defines these terms other than false expectations in our heads? There’s a mid ground. It isn’t spoken about. But it’s there. And that’s where you want to be. It’s comfortable and luxurious and probably what you’re aiming for without even realising it!

So how do we shift from one outlook on life to another? It’s not easy, I’ll be brutally honest with you. If you’ve always been the quiet, timid type, suddenly switching the game can be hard, when you’ve been playing the same one your entire life. You don’t know the controls of the new game. But you can learn, and you can become used to it. The first step is to accept change is possible. You need to see some sort of change. It’s not as simple as a finger click.

The first physical thing I’d recommend doing is sitting down and thinking. What do you actually want? You wanna have more confidence huh? Why? What’s changed? Why are you no longer content with being shy? What do you want? Write it down. Everything. Have a good ol’ brain fart. And then do some more thinking. So okay, here’s my reasoning. I wanna be able to do this, this and this. Okay that’s nice, but how? How exactly are you gonna do that? Break it down into little steps, the smaller, the better, trust me.

Righto. So once we’ve got the small steps nailed we can actually work on doing them. The reason small steps are better is because they’re more achievable short term. Eventually you will be able to achieve the end goal, but not immediately. You have to accept that. Change will come. If you work hard for it. Each time you complete a step, why not reward yourself? A lil motivation never hurt nobody. And each time you repeat, it’ll become easier. And soon you’ll be able to do it with ease.

A few things to bear in mind: don’t expect rapid progress. Be gentle with yourself. Things may be tough, you may need a break. That’s understandable, that’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get so and so done. It’s okay. It’s all part of the process. You want this right? Don’t surrender due to the hardship you may feel. Trust me, you’ll feel a lot worse if you just give up partway through. Long lasting dedication is needed.

Self love, positive affirmations and community. All play major roles. When I’m about to do something tough, I’ll spend five minutes beforehand scrolling through self love and positive content, to fill me with an unexplainable energy. It hyped me up, prepares me. Get yourself a crew too. This can be one person. Just please above all do not make the mistake I did and fight silently and fail and fail and fail for so so long. The greatest thing on this journey I did was talk. Tell somebody what you’re doing. They may have some get support, advice and ideas. I spoke to my HoY. Friends, family, teachers etc. Or even me! I’m rooting for every single one of you and know that y’all will achieve your dreams and more. And now I like to consider myself an advocate for this sort of stuff on my private socials and here. Progress is so clear. It may not be in the moment, but don’t let that dishearten you. One day it’ll be so clear. Trust me.

Thanks ella for this:u:

The thing with me is I want to be more confident but stay quiet if that makes sense at all:confused:
Thanks ella for this:u:

The thing with me is I want to be more confident but stay quiet if that makes sense at all:confused:

no worries, hope it helps!
yeah i get you. you don’t wanna be boisterous and over the top, but you don’t wanna be completely quiet all the time and overlooked. i get it.

Quick Reply

Latest