The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan hasn't been updated yet - help!!

I applied for student finance back in April without sending my income and therefore student finance says my loan is at £4289 which sadly doesn't even cover my rent but I'm expecting this to change as my proof of income was sent off within the deadline they gave me. What's worrying is that I sent the income off more than 2 months ago, and I move into my accommodation in less than a month and I'm stressed that the loan won't increase by then, or ever.

I got sent an entitlement letter for the £4289 in June and it says that they'll send me a new one if they receive the income proof which is reassuring, but I haven't gotten anything saying they have proof of income or not. This is especially stressful as it was already sent off once and they sent a letter saying it didn't arrive giving me a new deadline which I decided to do complete online instead to be on the safer side.

If anyone was in a similar boat, how long did it take for your loan to increase since sending off your income? And was this after you started your course or not? I'm hoping that because I sent the income proof within the second deadline which they should have received that I will get the full loan by mid September because if not I will be struggling.

I'm planning on calling student finance on Monday and see if they have a clue when or if it will be updated but I've only heard bad things about the service and don't know if I'll get a good answer. Any help would be appreciated.
I worked for them, so some more details - you're sending your proof of income? Is it not parents (or potentially a partner involved who should do this?)
I ask as the only income they care about from the student is their unearned income (e.g. if you rented a property- you dont work to get that money). Are you over 25 and single? What did you send them exactly? And have you checked the online account in the letters section. I never received my paper update I'd been approved.
Reply 2
Original post by NeroliTenzing
I worked for them, so some more details - you're sending your proof of income? Is it not parents (or potentially a partner involved who should do this?)
I ask as the only income they care about from the student is their unearned income (e.g. if you rented a property- you dont work to get that money). Are you over 25 and single? What did you send them exactly? And have you checked the online account in the letters section. I never received my paper update I'd been approved.

Sorry that's what I meant - the mum sent it off and it was proof of her income (aka the household) since I'm only 18. I checked my letters this morning and the only one that was there was the minimum loan entitlement being approved.
Original post by leore
Sorry that's what I meant - the mum sent it off and it was proof of her income (aka the household) since I'm only 18. I checked my letters this morning and the only one that was there was the minimum loan entitlement being approved.

What did she actually do but? Did she declare the figures online or on the pff2 form? Or did she simply just send eV. If it was just the latter then she has to actually declare what income she got.
Yeah, so clarify did she fill in her financial form online in her account, or post the paper version called pff2? She can send a copy of a p60 or tax return etc for the tax year 1819 but it's only really needed if they asked. So check she has filled in a form as well. What marital status did she put on the form? Single is fine, nothing needed. If she puts divorced/ widowed they need photocopy proof. (If married or living with a partner they need their partner's finance info). Get your mum to check her online account in her letters section. If she hasn't set one up online (she'll have one if she was a student in the past) gov.uk login page should help with the account details or she can try through the call centre to get that info.
Reply 5
Original post by Shirohige
What did she actually do but? Did she declare the figures online or on the pff2 form? Or did she simply just send eV. If it was just the latter then she has to actually declare what income she got.

Original post by NeroliTenzing
Yeah, so clarify did she fill in her financial form online in her account, or post the paper version called pff2? She can send a copy of a p60 or tax return etc for the tax year 1819 but it's only really needed if they asked. So check she has filled in a form as well. What marital status did she put on the form? Single is fine, nothing needed. If she puts divorced/ widowed they need photocopy proof. (If married or living with a partner they need their partner's finance info). Get your mum to check her online account in her letters section. If she hasn't set one up online (she'll have one if she was a student in the past) gov.uk login page should help with the account details or she can try through the call centre to get that info.

Originally she sent the tax return for last year in the post but student finance said it never arrived so when the new deadline was given she sent the tax return proof online instead, so they should have received that as the proof of income. She's divorced so I assume she sent some evidence about that if it said she needed to. She has never been at university so I think so send this evidence she had to make a new account, would this form about her relationship be on the front page of her account? like as a to-do-list thing?
Original post by leore
Originally she sent the tax return for last year in the post but student finance said it never arrived so when the new deadline was given she sent the tax return proof online instead, so they should have received that as the proof of income. She's divorced so I assume she sent some evidence about that if it said she needed to. She has never been at university so I think so send this evidence she had to make a new account, would this form about her relationship be on the front page of her account? like as a to-do-list thing?

What I would do is either call then or message them on twitter/Facebook. They can check your account and tell you exactly what's needed.
If you're saying she's now sent it online, I assume you mean she filled in the form with tax year 1819. SFE won't accept copies of tax returns via email, just to be sure the form is what she has submitted. If it's your first year and she put divorced they will be waiting for a photocopy doc to be posted in. Decree absolute/ council tax bill showing 25% SINGLE PERSON discount (a lot of people think other discounts can work!), solicitor letter. Should show as a 'to do list' and they will post a reminder asking for it (that would show on the online account also). If still not sure, check directly with them. They may need access to your mum's account too for data protection - preferably she's there to go through security as they won't let you access it even if you know her password etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending