The Student Room Group

Divorced Parents - I'm confused! (Maintenance loan)

I've put down the details of both my mum and my dad on my application - but they are divorced - and my Mum has been the only one who has provided for me in any meaningful way in the 3 years previous to starting in September. I'm concerned that my dad's (very small) income will push me into a bracket which I shouldn't be in for my maintenance loan.

My questions are:

- Can my Dad/Mum highlight the fact that it is my mum who has provided for the past couple of years when providing further details?

- Should I go back and enter the details in my application differently?

- Is my Dad's income going to be counted towards the overall calculation of my household income (even though he doesn't provide anything towards the household income)

I've asked before, but I think it's worth mentioning again - I haven't lived with either of my parents since September - but lived with my Mum before that (for over 5 years previous to that)

Thank you in advance!
Original post by ang1243
I've put down the details of both my mum and my dad on my application - but they are divorced - and my Mum has been the only one who has provided for me in any meaningful way in the 3 years previous to starting in September. I'm concerned that my dad's (very small) income will push me into a bracket which I shouldn't be in for my maintenance loan.

My questions are:

- Can my Dad/Mum highlight the fact that it is my mum who has provided for the past couple of years when providing further details?

- Is my Dad's income going to be counted towards the overall calculation of my household income (even though he doesn't provide anything towards the household income)

I've asked before, but I think it's worth mentioning again - I haven't lived with either of my parents since September - but lived with my Mum before that (for over 5 years previous to that)

Thank you in advance!

You shouldn’t have put them both down. If your parents are divorced then you put one of them down as supporting your application and SFE assess the household income of that parent and any partner they have.

Ring SFE when they’re open to explain your situation to them and get your application amended if need be.
Original post by ang1243

My questions are:

Thank you in advance!

Hi ang1243,

If you are under 25 years old and your parents are separated, then you should choose the parent that you would normally live with.

If you indicated in error that you live with both parents, don't worry that can be rectified.

All you need to do is get the parent that you would normally live with only, for example your mum, to support your application with their financial information and send in evidence of their marital status.

Once processed you can be confident that you will be assessed on one parents income only.

If they are legally separated, a copy of her Decree Nisi. If not legally separated the easiest evidence to send is a copy of her Council Tax Award Notification if it shows 25% discount for Single Person Occupancy along with a cover letter and customer reference number that you made a mistake on the application.

Thanks Rona
I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm reapplying for my student loan as I'm going into year 2, but it's changed from last year, and there's no questions asking about my parents relationship, and therefore it only gives me the option to enter both parents details. I'm very confused how to change this.
Original post by emilykate100
I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm reapplying for my student loan as I'm going into year 2, but it's changed from last year, and there's no questions asking about my parents relationship, and therefore it only gives me the option to enter both parents details. I'm very confused how to change this.

Hi emilykate100,

In the section of the application where it asks if you are a dependant or an independent student, if you are still under 25 years old at the start of your next academic year then select dependant.

You will then be asked to state what parent that you would normally live with.

That is where you would either select the option of both or choose which parent and indicate their marital status.

Thanks Rona
Hi, I have a similar problem. My Parents have recently seperated and I live with my dad and he is supposed to be supporting my assessment for maintance loan. However he is basically now refusing to do it and I am about to go into my 2nd year of Uni and haven't even got my first year money. Student Finance are messing me around saying they have recieved certain documents which we know they have (sent it tracked) so my question is. Is it possible to cancel my application for my 2nd year and put in my mums details even though I'll mainly be living with my dad?
Original post by ZoeBishop30
Hi, I have a similar problem. My Parents have recently seperated and I live with my dad and he is supposed to be supporting my assessment for maintance loan. However he is basically now refusing to do it and I am about to go into my 2nd year of Uni and haven't even got my first year money. Student Finance are messing me around saying they have recieved certain documents which we know they have (sent it tracked) so my question is. Is it possible to cancel my application for my 2nd year and put in my mums details even though I'll mainly be living with my dad?

Hi, if you ask your mum to complete the PFF2 form http://ow.ly/opMD30qijXx and http://ow.ly/d/8nhE Marital Status form if she does not have any partner/spouse and if you write a cover letter explaining your situation, you can upload all these documents in your online account and our assessors will review.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,That's great thank you. If I have already started the application with my dad shall I still leave him on there or ask for him to be removed when my mum fills out the assessment form? or is it better to just leave it the way it is once it has been assessed? Thanks, Zoe
Original post by ZoeBishop30
Hi Isaac,That's great thank you. If I have already started the application with my dad shall I still leave him on there or ask for him to be removed when my mum fills out the assessment form? or is it better to just leave it the way it is once it has been assessed? Thanks, Zoe

You're welcome. On your cover letter you should explain your situation stating your mum will now be supporting your application and then our assessors will look at removing your dad.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending