The Student Room Group

How long does homesickness last?

Hi,

I'll be applying to university in the UK soon for admission in 2021. I live with my family over 10 hours away by flight and I've never been abroad alone.

I've known I suffer from severe homesickness, ever since a week-long camp in Year 8.

What I'd like to ask is: has anyone gone through this before? What's it like? How do you overcome it and how long does it take to overcome?

Thanks so much.
I don’t get homesickness but my friend does, just have things that remind u of home so pictures up on walls, calling them everyday helps. It helps by keeping occupied too so getting involved in freshers, getting a job etc. It varies for some but u can always go home to visit in the holidays which is more helpful I suppose.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'll be applying to university in the UK soon for admission in 2021. I live with my family over 10 hours away by flight and I've never been abroad alone.

I've known I suffer from severe homesickness, ever since a week-long camp in Year 8.

What I'd like to ask is: has anyone gone through this before? What's it like? How do you overcome it and how long does it take to overcome?

Thanks so much.

It'll be different for everyone, but I used to get quite severe homesickness, and it usually took about 3-4 weeks to fade away. The biggest help for me was to get myself into a routine as soon as I could to get a sense of my 'new normal'. Freshers week doesn't always help with this (as constant events don't usually happen after that week), so it's best to throw yourself into it to distract yourself.
you will be so busy with uni work that time will go so quickly. keep in touch with family and friends, facetime. skype or zoom them. write them letters and send them pictures. put pictures up on your wall bring something from home
When homesickness starts and when it ends can really vary a lot between people, some people will feel it after a week, some people after months, some will feel it for a few days, for others it doesn't go away. But you already know to expect the homesickness which puts you in a better position than a lot of people, the people who get it worse tend to be ones who don't realise that they're going to get it.

The most important way to cope with it is by making your new home by making new friends, getting involved in societies, etc.

Staying in close contact with people back home is frankly a coin flip as to whether it helps or hurts. For some people the connection helps them feel closer to home, for others it's a reminder that where they are isn't home.

Something I'd add that most people don't think of when talking about homesickness is reverse homesickness or reverse culture shock. When you do settle in and fully overcome that homesickness from being in a different place it can be quite jarring to return home. It's not usually a problem until graduation or continuing until masters/PhD but some people get it during the summer holidays too.
Hi @Anonymous
I’m a student at Lancaster Uni and I experienced homesickness. I think it’s hard to say how long it lasts because it’s different for everyone but for me it comes and goes when I miss home. But my university had a very good way of welcoming everyone in freshers week into it that it’s easy to enjoy the university lifestyle. My university also has support of people you can go to if u need to talk to people and we had freshers reps to look after us. It is important once you have settled to keep in touch with home or you will probably just feel worse ! But there’s lots of ways to keep yourself busy at university for example societies to take your mind of things ! And remember that for many people it’s there first time away from home and they are in the same boat, so speaking to flatmates about it can help !
Good look with your studies
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster University
Lol mine didn't even start.
Hi!
I am from Portugal, and the first time I moved to London I got really homesick. What really helped me was, I would always make sure I had something to do every week, can be something fun or relaxing or even work, but keeping yourself busy will help! Homesick after a while for me kinds faded away, it comes and goes for me. I try to remind myself why I moved and now I just accept being away from home, I also made friends and that also helped me a lot to make London a home.
Hi,

Thanks so much.

Hello! :smile:

Feeling homesick is completely normal and understandable, but I'm sure you'd soon settle in to university life and meet great friends who can help take your mind off things. You can keep yourself busy by joining clubs and societies, volunteering and studying etc!

I have a couple of blog posts that talk about homesickness and things to overcome it, you might find them useful :biggrin:
International students coming to the UK: an essential guide on what to look out for
International Dinner Party: Food from home

I wish you the very best of luck!

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Becky
Hi,

Thanks so much.

It's rough it takes a bit yo get over even a week or two what helps is if you just throw you self in to things Societies lectures stuff like that once uni starts you'll get over it you just might need to ride it out give it a few weeks if you don't start to feel better talk to someone.
Hi,

Thanks so much.

Hi!

Of course homesickness is different for everyone, but its important that you know that your not alone.
I had it for about a month. I overcame it by looking at the positives about living away from home like the freedom you'll have. I found being social at uni really helped. Such as, joining societies, asking course mates to do something with you even if it's just going to the shops, but in general just keeping yourself busy. It's also really helpful to explore your surroundings and familiarise yourself with the area. Many universities in the UK offer societies that accommodate for international students, especially in the students union of the university, so try and explore what they have going on. With regards to family back home I would say stay in contact with them of course, but try and not do this too often, as it might make you more homesick and you could be missing out on the opportunities where you are. I know I only called home between 1-2 times a week.

I hope this helped!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending