The Student Room Group

ICAEW training question

Hi,

I am an ACA trainee, currently due to sit my final exams.

I am just curious to know if doing your ACA in a 4 year time span as opposed to 3 years is looked down upon by employers ? Does it hold much weight if you have two ACA's but one took 3 years to complete and the other took 4 ? The qualification is typically done over 3 years and sometimes trainees get their exams done in 2 years and just wait to time qualify.

Interested to know. I feel to some extent it might be used to differentiate between candidates but at some point down the line, does anyone care further on in your career whether you took an extra year to complete your ACA ?

Also, do exam failures really matter ? Do any fully qualified ACA's ever get asked even further in their careers if they have passed first time ?

Thanks,
Reply 1
I think it raises a question which you could expect to be asked in interviews - you just need to think about how you answer this. I think for newly qualified accountants employers do look at number of exam failures. I doubt this applies when you've done a couple of years post qualifying as people are more interested in your skills. I don't recall ever being asked once I'd got my first job in industry.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
I think it raises a question which you could expect to be asked in interviews - you just need to think about how you answer this. I think for newly qualified accountants employers do look at number of exam failures. I doubt this applies when you've done a couple of years post qualifying as people are more interested in your skills. I don't recall ever being asked once I'd got my first job in industry.

Oh right. Thanks. So as long as you have a valid reason for anything it should be okay ?
Reply 3
Original post by K1NE
Oh right. Thanks. So as long as you have a valid reason for anything it should be okay ?

Yes - and if its health related you need to think about how to confirm to employers that the problem is either resolved or managed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending