The Student Room Group

What do I do?? :(

Leave her with some space? Ask to talk? Something else? I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
TLDR I like my female friend, I told her this before she went abroad for some volunteer work, now she's just travelling normally for fun instead and I get the feeling she doesn't want to talk to me. she's staying there until September so I'm probably never going to see her again as we go to different universities quite far apart 😭
So I recently started hanging out with a female friend of mine that I've known online for over a year. I've had a crush on her for a while and decided to tell her how I feel since she was going abroad for a while after that last day of hanging out.
She could tell I was nervous so said I could just message her what I wanted to say instead (big mistake on my behalf there) so I did. Then obviously she went abroad and the message was left on read. After a week she asked me what I wanted her to say and I basically said I just wanted to know if we could still be friends or whatever or if I'd made things too awkward. That got left on read for a week and then she asked why I liked her and why I told her, so I answered those questions and again got left on read. Then last week I asked her how she was doing and that got left on read too (understandable I guess since she was doing some volunteer work abroad, but now the volunteer work is done and she's staying in the abroad country for normal travelling). Last night I asked if we could hang out as I thought she was coming back and her response was just "Hi". I asked how the volunteer work was and she just said that she's staying until September. I responded by asking how she's doing and that's been left on delivered.
Maybe she just needs some space, but I get the feeling that I've driven her away 😭🤷*♂️

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Leave her with some space? Ask to talk? Something else? I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
TLDR I like my female friend, I told her this before she went abroad for some volunteer work, now she's just travelling normally for fun instead and I get the feeling she doesn't want to talk to me. she's staying there until September so I'm probably never going to see her again as we go to different universities quite far apart 😭
So I recently started hanging out with a female friend of mine that I've known online for over a year. I've had a crush on her for a while and decided to tell her how I feel since she was going abroad for a while after that last day of hanging out.
She could tell I was nervous so said I could just message her what I wanted to say instead (big mistake on my behalf there) so I did. Then obviously she went abroad and the message was left on read. After a week she asked me what I wanted her to say and I basically said I just wanted to know if we could still be friends or whatever or if I'd made things too awkward. That got left on read for a week and then she asked why I liked her and why I told her, so I answered those questions and again got left on read. Then last week I asked her how she was doing and that got left on read too (understandable I guess since she was doing some volunteer work abroad, but now the volunteer work is done and she's staying in the abroad country for normal travelling). Last night I asked if we could hang out as I thought she was coming back and her response was just "Hi". I asked how the volunteer work was and she just said that she's staying until September. I responded by asking how she's doing and that's been left on delivered.
Maybe she just needs some space, but I get the feeling that I've driven her away 😭🤷*♂️

Leave her alone. Not worth your time. Dont like it when people deliberately ignore me.
Hi there
She surely does not have the same feelings so she just ignores you so that you will forget about her
Reply 3

Hi, I would definitely give her some space, hopefully she is trying to work it out and is taking some time to think things over and once she's finished with her volunteering and traveling she will be able to give you some proper answers..

Try not to overthink it and obsess over if she will text you back or not, take some time for yourself and just keep distracted! Good luck!
Reply 4
Leave her alone. Not worth your time. Dont like it when people deliberately ignore me.

Hopefully that's not the case :frown: like maybe she just wants some space for a bit
Reply 5
Original post by Ackhnologia
Hi there
She surely does not have the same feelings so she just ignores you so that you will forget about her

Yeah I don't think she feels the same way as I do, but it'd be nice for her to at least tell me that, rather than just ignoring me. Like no I didn't tell her how I feel in person (had to do it over message) but I still said it, So surely I at least "deserve" to be told that she doesn't feel the same way
sorry to break it to ya but i dont think she interested
Reply 7
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, I would definitely give her some space, hopefully she is trying to work it out and is taking some time to think things over and once she's finished with her volunteering and traveling she will be able to give you some proper answers..

Try not to overthink it and obsess over if she will text you back or not, take some time for yourself and just keep distracted! Good luck!

Yeah this is what I'm hoping is the case. But the thing is in September we'll both nearly be moving back to university, so we'd see eachother even less then (we live in the same home town which is why it's easy to hang out at the moment) :frown:
It's gonna be hard to keep myself occupied for at least 3 weeks though with no work to do.
Thankyou.
Reply 8
sorry to break it to ya but i dont think she interested

Yeah I figured she's not interested, but it'd be nice for her to actually tell me that rather than just leave me hanging.
Reply 9
Now I'm left on read from asking her how she's doing lol. Why is it that I'm literally losing sleep and I'm stressing over someone who doesn't even seem to care?? I hate myself :frown:

If she's ignoring you, then stop bloody messaging her! You are wasting way too much time thinking about someone that doesn't acknowledge you exist. That's the truth of the matter.
Now I'm left on read from asking her how she's doing lol. Why is it that I'm literally losing sleep and I'm stressing over someone who doesn't even seem to care?? I hate myself :frown:

ring her or block her. your call.
Don't waste your energy on someone who obviously doesn't want to talk to you

She might reach out to you in the future, she might not, but I think it's best for you if you move on, and get on with the rest of your life, and find someone worth your time :smile:
Original post by conorellis42
ring her or block her. your call.

If I ring her what would I even say? Assuming she answered I mean
If I ring her what would I even say? Assuming she answered I mean

I'd confront her, obviously. If she doesn't answer and doesn't follow up with a message, then just block her.

No point in keeping BS time wasters in your life.
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Don't waste your energy on someone who obviously doesn't want to talk to you

She might reach out to you in the future, she might not, but I think it's best for you if you move on, and get on with the rest of your life, and find someone worth your time :smile:

Thankyou. I'll try, but tbh I don't think I'm worth someone's time :frown:
I'd confront her, obviously. If she doesn't answer and doesn't follow up with a message, then just block her.

No point in keeping BS time wasters in your life.

Could I take a slightly less aggressive approach than confronting her?
Could I take a slightly less aggressive approach than confronting her?

If shes upsetting you through her actions and shes a so called 'friend' then doesn't she need to know? If she wont bother to acknowledge you then there is zero point in continuing the friendship. at the least, you should be assertive and present your side.
If she's ignoring you, then stop bloody messaging her! You are wasting way too much time thinking about someone that doesn't acknowledge you exist. That's the truth of the matter.

That's true, but I'm naïve enough to convince myself she just wants time and space ha
That's true, but I'm naïve enough to convince myself she just wants time and space ha

You need to go into beast mode and take this as an incentive to develop your masculinity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending