The Student Room Group

EU Student Finance 2021-22

Don't you think it's frankly quite illogical to charge EU students international fees (in both England and Scotland, so far, confirmed)? Because students can't pay so much. We're not rich. At all. Quite the opposite. They should charge less so more students will come. It shouldn't be free, just less. The reason being the money will add up to be beneficial to unis.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Agreed! Does anyone from EU have an idea of how they will fund their studies in UK? Because currently I’m struggling
(edited 3 years ago)
It is my understanding that the government pays extra money to universities for teaching home and EU students, thus unis would be losing money if they kept the lower fees. Also, Idk. about the UK, but in some countries universities actually get less money from the government if they take up too many students relatively to their number of staff, that is done to ensure teaching quality.

Sure that EU students won't be able to study in the UK anymore. Unless you're from rich country like Germany or Sweden, nice big houses with gardens are cheaper around the EU, than British university courses on international fees, but keeping low fees for EU just might not be in the UK's interests.

Original post by satei
Agreed! Does anyone from EU have an idea of how they will fund their studies in UK? Because currently I’m struggling

If you're already studying, the rules remain unchanged for you.
Reply 3
Original post by PTMalewski
It is my understanding that the government pays extra money to universities for teaching home and EU students, thus unis would be losing money if they kept the lower fees. Also, Idk. about the UK, but in some countries universities actually get less money from the government if they take up too many students relatively to their number of staff, that is done to ensure teaching quality.

Sure that EU students won't be able to study in the UK anymore. Unless you're from rich country like Germany or Sweden, nice big houses with gardens are cheaper around the EU, than British university courses on international fees, but keeping low fees for EU just might not be in the UK's interests.

If you're already studying, the rules remain unchanged for you.

I suppose that makes sense, however, most unis in Scotland have 25-30% EU students and in England I believe it was an even greater percentage. I am from Sweden actually, and there is no way I can afford international tuition. A lot of students that I know also do not consider UK as a choice anymore which means UK will lose a significant part of prospective students from their unis. I just think, instead of funding for EU students, the fees could've been upped a bit more but no so much that its international, thus rendering UK as a viable option for many. But now, its a lose-lose situation in both ways.
Original post by satei

I applied to the presettlement scheme... but I want to also live here regardless
Hello!

Does anyone know if having settled status by the time the course starts will grant home fees instead of international?

I am applying for graduate-entry medicine (2021 entry) and by September 2021 it would be 5 years that I have been living in the UK. The thing is that I moved to the UK for my first degree so I am not sure how that would work just now in terms of funding etc
Original post by PChicka
Hello!

Does anyone know if having settled status by the time the course starts will grant home fees instead of international?

I am applying for graduate-entry medicine (2021 entry) and by September 2021 it would be 5 years that I have been living in the UK. The thing is that I moved to the UK for my first degree so I am not sure how that would work just now in terms of funding etc

Yes you will be charged home students fees. Dont worry you are fine
Reply 7
Original post by Boliviabba

what about if you have pre-settled status?
Reply 8

I called Student Finance and they said that they haven't decided yet. So please don't confuse people. I hope that people with settled and pre-settled status will get home fees (we paying taxes like all British people) but it's not a fact yet, just hope...
Original post by Ami_Ami
I called Student Finance and they said that they haven't decided yet. So please don't confuse people. I hope that people with settled and pre-settled status will get home fees (we paying taxes likpre all British people) but it's not a fact yet, just hope...

Pre settle people wont get privilege.
Settle people will get privilege that's a fact.
Original post by Ami_Ami
I called Student Finance and they said that they haven't decided yet. So please don't confuse people. I hope that people with settled and pre-settled status will get home fees (we paying taxes like all British people) but it's not a fact yet, just hope...

If you have lived in the UK for 4 years already, one more year shouldn't make a difference.

I know a year seems to be long for young people, but in the perspective of working till you're 65 or 70 it's irrelevant. If you need to wait for one more year, then just make the best of it, learn as much as you can, get life experience, maybe at some jobs too, make friends. This might help you more than anything else.
Reply 11
Pre settle people wont get privilege.
Settle people will get privilege that's a fact.

Can I have the source of this "fact" please?
Reply 13

Thanks but it's about student finance. As Student Finance England said, noone knows what rules will apply to home fees. Each university can set up their own fees and noone knows if settled or pre-settled status will be entitled to home fees.

Quick Reply

Latest