The Student Room Group

Criminology with counselling degree

Hi, I’m about to enter my second year of doing a criminology with counselling degree. I want to know which options I can take with this degree. That could be careers wise however I mostly want to go into forensic psychologist and don’t know whether I still can with this degree
Hello, I also want to become a forensic psychologist so have done quite a bit of research :smile:

To do so, you need a 3 year degree in Psychology, then a masters in forensic psychology and then training (I think it's two years)

I think a psychology conversion course is possible in your case though?

With your degree you could obviously become a criminologist, maybe go into the police? Or counsellor, but I'm sure you already knew that haha.
Reply 2
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Hello, I also want to become a forensic psychologist so have done quite a bit of research :smile:

To do so, you need a 3 year degree in Psychology, then a masters in forensic psychology and then training (I think it's two years)

I think a psychology conversion course is possible in your case though?

With your degree you could obviously become a criminologist, maybe go into the police? Or counsellor, but I'm sure you already knew that haha.

Yeah my main one is hopefully to become a probation officer and go through the training for that after uni but I know the market for jobs for people with criminology degrees is very low which is the only thing concerning me. Also sadly you can’t become a counsellor with this degree as we don’t do placement and you need a certain number of work experience hours however I did pick it so I had more than the only other people who have picked just criminology
Original post by M_jones123
Yeah my main one is hopefully to become a probation officer and go through the training for that after uni but I know the market for jobs for people with criminology degrees is very low which is the only thing concerning me. Also sadly you can’t become a counsellor with this degree as we don’t do placement and you need a certain number of work experience hours however I did pick it so I had more than the only other people who have picked just criminology

I don't think you need a degree at all to be a counsellor, so having that degree definitely puts you above the rest :smile:
Original post by M_jones123
Hi, I’m about to enter my second year of doing a criminology with counselling degree. I want to know which options I can take with this degree. That could be careers wise however I mostly want to go into forensic psychologist and don’t know whether I still can with this degree

You'd need to complete a conversion course in Psychology, then an acredited MSc in Forensic Psychology

After that you can either do the 3 year doctorate or Stage 2 qualification (which also roughly takes 3 years), then you can apply for HCPC registration and work as a psychologist

Bear in mind that if you don't have an accredited MSc in Forensic Psychology, you'd have to go down the doctorate route afterwards. Those who graduate with the accredited MSc can choose either.

Quick Reply

Latest