The Student Room Group

How likely is it that the autumn exams will be in October?

Considering the recent local lockdowns and the slow rise in new cases of covid-19 How likely is it that the exams are in October like they had stated. 1 month and 23 days to revise for an exam is kind of not enough considering we haven't revised for months. I am just very nervous since they are using the teachers ranking thing due to personal reasons. Kinda overthinking stuff and 1 MONTH AND 23 DAYS????? Come on man at that rate we are more likely to get lower than what they'll give us in 4 days
Already announced that autumn exams are taking place october for a level and November for gcses
Reply 2
To be fair, they let us know that there would likely be exams in the autumn a while ago, so you would've had the chance to revise, even if you weren't certain you needed to.
But either way, 1 month and 23 days could be pretty reasonable if you're only resitting a few subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by Bill V2
To be fair, they let us know that there would likely be exams in the autumn a while ago, so you would've had the chance to revise, even if you weren't certain you needed to.
But either way, 1 month and 23 days could be pretty reasonable if you're only resitting a few subjects.

I know they let us know but it's easier said then done. No one knows they have failed and there is all the chances in the world where you could miss all your grades by 1 as it happened in Scotland to a few people. "They let us know ages ago that exams are in october" Yes but not everyone knows already that they'll fail. 1 month and 23 days is enough for 1 subject if you are aiming for an A but for 2 subjects or more that's just not it.
Reply 4
Original post by SKhagrid
I know they let us know but it's easier said then done. No one knows they have failed and there is all the chances in the world where you could miss all your grades by 1 as it happened in Scotland to a few people. "They let us know ages ago that exams are in october" Yes but not everyone knows already that they'll fail. 1 month and 23 days is enough for 1 subject if you are aiming for an A but for 2 subjects or more that's just not it.

I would have to disagree with the fact that 1 month and 23 days is not enough - in mocks me (and many others) only started revising a week or two before, and still managed to get 7/8/9s.
I do however 100% agree with you that it's not ideal, but there's nothing we can really do about it. I did already say that people don't know whether they have failed or not. It would have been a good idea to start revising if someone thought that they were at risk of failing, though obviously this cannot always be predicted. Sixth forms / colleges are in general going to be more lenient though, especially if you were only off by one grade, which will help a bit.
I do think that they should have been released earlier as they were planning to do originally, but I don't think that it's as bad as you say. 1 month and 23 days is a hell of a lot more time than just 4 days, and it is definitely possible to get good grades with that amount of revision, although having more time would be better.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5

Wait I just realized you were talking about A-Levels and not GCSEs (sorry!) - yeah 1 month and 23 days is not on, but those resitting a-levels should be resitting in the summer and not autumn, as resitting means they will have to take a year out anyways, and so they may as well give themselves as much time as possible to revise rather than rushing to do it in the autumn.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill V2
I would have to disagree with the fact that 1 month and 23 days is not enough - in mocks me (and many others) only started revising a week or two before, and still managed to get 7/8/9s.
I do however 100% agree with you that it's not ideal, but there's nothing we can really do about it. I did already say that people don't know whether they have failed or not. It would have been a good idea to start revising if someone thought that they were at risk of failing, though obviously this cannot always be predicted. Sixth forms / colleges are in general going to be more lenient though, especially if you were only off by one grade, which will help a bit.
I do think that they should have been released earlier as they were planning to do originally, but I don't think that it's as bad as you say. 1 month and 23 days is a hell of a lot more time than just 4 days, and it is definitely possible to get good grades with that amount of revision, although having more time would be better.

Sorry, I'm talking about A levels and not Use GCSEs. 1 month and 23 days is more than enough for GCSEs but A levels are much harder to relearn and revise and the exams aren't a walk in the park like GCSEs. In fact I revised nights before GCSE exams and got 7s. However anything is possible and I hope that I will get B's or above for all my subjects otherwise I'm fked
Reply 7
Sorry, I'm talking about A levels and not Use GCSEs. 1 month and 23 days is more than enough for GCSEs but A levels are much harder to relearn and revise and the exams aren't a walk in the park like GCSEs. In fact I revised nights before GCSE exams and got 7s. However anything is possible and I hope that I will get B's or above for all my subjects otherwise I'm fked

Yeah no I just realised that, see my earlier post - sorry! I hope you get what you need on results day :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bill V2
Yeah no I just realised that, see my earlier post - sorry! I hope you get what you need on results day :smile:

Just saw it :biggrin: and thank you
The A levels exams for autumn have also been announced already for October
Reply 10
Original post by ANON_122
The A levels exams for autumn have also been announced already for October

Saw it
Literally so dumb because most students haven't revised and for maths I was still 3/4 way into learning the content

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending