The Student Room Group

EPQ on Personal statement?

I was just wondering whether I should talk about my EPQ in depth on my personal statement? I know that a lot of students have done one as its not as rare as it was before and my EPQ does not explicitly link to my future career/course but I can find ways to make them link.
Would it be okay to start my personal statement with the first para being on EPQ or do I need a stronger start that will make me stand out more?
Original post by Bluepanda1234
I was just wondering whether I should talk about my EPQ in depth on my personal statement? I know that a lot of students have done one as its not as rare as it was before and my EPQ does not explicitly link to my future career/course but I can find ways to make them link.
Would it be okay to start my personal statement with the first para being on EPQ or do I need a stronger start that will make me stand out more?

If it doesn't directly link to your course then I'd start off with something else
Original post by claireestelle
If it doesn't directly link to your course then I'd start off with something else

Thank you

Hi@Bluepanda1234

You can definitely talk about your EPQ in your personal statement (ps), it will demonstrate your work ethic and ability to take responsibility to carry out research in your own time with limited supervision. Your EPQ topic and the approach you took is unique to you and therefore will still stand out in your ps.

I would recommend to start your ps with something about yourself in terms of like what kind of personal you are which then can be linked throughout the ps and you can talk about EPQ as your second paragraph linking to the intro paragraph which can show why you did EPQ and can be used to end your ps as why you are suited for the course your are applying for at the uni.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions.

Arsh Shaikh
BA Financial Economics
Coventry University - Coventry Campus
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi@Bluepanda1234

You can definitely talk about your EPQ in your personal statement (ps), it will demonstrate your work ethic and ability to take responsibility to carry out research in your own time with limited supervision. Your EPQ topic and the approach you took is unique to you and therefore will still stand out in your ps.

I would recommend to start your ps with something about yourself in terms of like what kind of personal you are which then can be linked throughout the ps and you can talk about EPQ as your second paragraph linking to the intro paragraph which can show why you did EPQ and can be used to end your ps as why you are suited for the course your are applying for at the uni.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions.

Arsh Shaikh
BA Financial Economics
Coventry University - Coventry Campus

Thank you very much for your response, much appreciated!
I completely agree but when picking my EPQ topic it did not explicitly directly link to my future course. Is this a problem if the EPQ isn't directly related>
Thank you very much for your response, much appreciated!
I completely agree but when picking my EPQ topic it did not explicitly directly link to my future course. Is this a problem if the EPQ isn't directly related>

Hi Bluepanda1234,

As Arsh mentioned, I think it might be worth recalling your EPQ when writing your personal statement. If it is not directly related, I wouldn't start with that and would not make your EPQ your main "selling point" in your personal statement. If, however, you struggle to fill the space and look for a good conclusion, I think recalling your EPQ there will be amazing, even if it's not directly related. You can talk about your project management skills and time management skills you developed. Those are transferrable skills that you will need at any University degree.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards,

Monika
Coventry Campus
LLB International Law
Your EPQ will be in your qualifications section. If it's not directly relevant, there's no point talking about it in your PS - it will be seen elsewhere
Original post by Interrobang
Your EPQ will be in your qualifications section. If it's not directly relevant, there's no point talking about it in your PS - it will be seen elsewhere

Thats true, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending