The Student Room Group

Sister in UCAT turmoil

I did UCAT last year and got 2480, managing to finally get an offer for medicine for 2020.
My sister is in the year below me (i.e entering last year of A Levels) and has put herself on the dentistry route, which also requires UCAT. I thought she was doing fine, seeing as when I asked how her revision was going she said good and I gave her some tips and all. But now she’s crying and in total despair because she is getting rubbish scores on practice papers! Only a week away from sitting it! I’m happy for anything that happens with her, but I just don’t know how to comfort her?
Does anybody have any helpful last minute tips for her?
Postpone.
Original post by itscourtchicks
I did UCAT last year and got 2480, managing to finally get an offer for medicine for 2020.
My sister is in the year below me (i.e entering last year of A Levels) and has put herself on the dentistry route, which also requires UCAT. I thought she was doing fine, seeing as when I asked how her revision was going she said good and I gave her some tips and all. But now she’s crying and in total despair because she is getting rubbish scores on practice papers! Only a week away from sitting it! I’m happy for anything that happens with her, but I just don’t know how to comfort her?

Best advice is,

apply to dentistry courses with a lower UCAT scores, also how good are her predicted, they can make up for the UCAT scores, just best not to apply to heavily scored UCAT unis.

I scored 2410 last year, and didn't do so well, but it's not the end of the world, I'm taking mine again this year.

As long as she consistently practices, it's all good, she can sit the UCAT knowing she did all she could, it's so important not to put yourself down too much, she might do amazingly on the actual day, it really does depend on a bit of luck at the end of the day! x
Original post by Whatisizekiah
Postpone.

Unfortunately when I advised this yesterday morning, I was met with even more tears and a resounding no.
Unfortunately when I advised this yesterday morning, I was met with even more tears and a resounding no.

You will need to explain to her or get someone to explain to her that there is no shame in postponing the exam.
Tell her that doing the UCAT later will be more helpful when applying to universities.
Otherwise, she will just need to apply to universities that don’t rely too heavily on the UCAT.

where did u get an offer?
Original post by 5hyl33n
You will need to explain to her or get someone to explain to her that there is no shame in postponing the exam.
Tell her that doing the UCAT later will be more helpful when applying to universities.
Otherwise, she will just need to apply to universities that don’t rely too heavily on the UCAT.

I’ve discussed with her, and she does not want to postpone as this would mean telling parents she is finding it hard and needs more time (parents are very pressuring when it comes to things like this). She said she will do it next Monday, and so I’m going to be doing a lot of research into unis to help her out a bit. Plus, I’m going to give her easier and quicker mathematical formulas/mental maths, and she’s asked me to drill into her the abstract reasoning rules. Hopefully having me help her this week will calm her nerves. Thanks!
Original post by rasi637283
where did u get an offer?

Liverpool - I think having good GCSEs helped with me having a low UCAT score for there.

Quick Reply

Latest