The Student Room Group

hello

any opinions on what gcses to take if i want to be a teacher english teacher what a levels what degrees do you need
do a google search
Reply 2
don’t you think i have tried that i would obviously search first but it’s only saying english and maths and obviously i would be taking them
Child development could be useful as you’re working with children. It sort of depends what you’re passionate about. At the end of the day, A Levels or BTEC will be more useful for you to become a teacher. Don’t stress too much about GCSE options.
Original post by lilyhundre
don’t you think i have tried that i would obviously search first but it’s only saying english and maths and obviously i would be taking them

Well obviously u need to study English as a degree so essay based subjects for a level and GCSEs do not matter at all
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/primary-school-teacher

Here is a link that tells you what you need to become a primary school teacher. It’s very similar for secondary school teaching too.
Reply 6

Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Child development could be useful as you’re working with children. It sort of depends what you’re passionate about. At the end of the day, A Levels or BTEC will be more useful for you to become a teacher. Don’t stress too much about GCSE options.

would business studies help for gcse or media studies which would be better

Doesn’t matter

Honestly, gcse subjects aren’t important. If you are really worried about what to take, look at what you would take at college/sixth form. Pick your a levels / BTEC and see what entry requirements they have.
Reply 9
Original post by Mayataylor
Doesn’t matter

what do you mean ?
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Honestly, gcse subjects aren’t important. If you are really worried about what to take, look at what you would take at college/sixth form. Pick your a levels / BTEC and see what entry requirements they have.

well i do know i want to be an english teacher and ino i’m taking history over geography but i don’t know what else would be helpful would business studies be good or not what subjects would be helpful do you think to be an english teacher?
what do you mean ?

GCSE choices do not matter just get good grades
well i do know i want to be an english teacher and ino i’m taking history over geography but i don’t know what else would be helpful would business studies be good or not what subjects would be helpful do you think to be an english teacher?

listen, gcse options are really not important. pick subjects that you love and are good at. to become an English teacher, you need to focus more on what you will take at college and university. Your gcse options do not matter. You just need to pass them.
Look at pgce courses :smile: Because for some, they require an A level in English at a certain grade. But yeah, I'd say English is the most obvious one. When it comes to choosing a uni course, you could do English or a joint one such as English and Drama/Education/Media/History etc

Quick Reply

Latest