The Student Room Group

Transferring to another university after a foundation year

My exams were postponed to this September and I'll only get my results in November. I applied for BSc Geography. My firm (Loughborough Uni) told me to defer while my insurance (Uni of Sussex) offered me a social sciences foundation year to start this September after finishing my exams. If I do the foundation year at Sussex, would I be eligible to transfer to Loughborough next year for year 1? any advice is appreciated :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jessmp17
My exams were postponed to this September and I'll only get my results in November. I applied for BSc Geography. My firm (Loughborough Uni) told me to defer while my insurance (Uni of Sussex) offered me a social sciences foundation year. If I do the foundation year at Sussex, would I be eligible to transfer to Loughborough next year for year 1? any advice is appreciated :smile:

call Loughborough and ask if they'd consider it :smile:
My exams were postponed to this September and I'll only get my results in November. I applied for BSc Geography. My firm (Loughborough Uni) told me to defer while my insurance (Uni of Sussex) offered me a social sciences foundation year to start this September after finishing my exams. If I do the foundation year at Sussex, would I be eligible to transfer to Loughborough next year for year 1? any advice is appreciated :smile:

If you did this you wouldn't be eligible for a tuition fee loan for the first year at Loughborough. SFE would consider you to have already had funding for "first year" twice already and wont fund a 3rd try
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
If you did this you wouldn't be eligible for a tuition fee loan for the first year at Loughborough. SFE would consider you to have already had funding for "first year" twice already and wont fund a 3rd try

but will I receive a tuition fee loan in year 2 and 3 at Loughborough?
but will I receive a tuition fee loan in year 2 and 3 at Loughborough?

yes - but you could take a gap year, earn some money and have every year fully funded.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
yes - but you could take a gap year, earn some money and have every year fully funded.

I've considered that too, however, I'm a British citizen and have lived in an EU country the last 10 years, so I think this may be the last year I'm eligible for home fee status.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've considered that too, however, I'm a British citizen and have lived in an EU country the last 10 years, so I think this may be the last year I'm eligible for home fee status.

I'm not sure but I think that you wouldn't get home fee status if you switched to Loughborough after a foundation year at Sussex because Year 1 would still be the start of a new course? I would check with the student finance people about that.

If you are getting some results on August 13th, is there any reason you couldn't do Geography with a foundation year at Loughborough instead?

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation/geography/

Hi Jess,
My colleagues in the Admissions team will be able to advise on what your options are, please do get in touch with them and they'll be able to answer all of your questions. They need to assess your full details in order to advise you further - please email [email protected]
Good luck, Bindu
Reply 8
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Jess,
My colleagues in the Admissions team will be able to advise on what your options are, please do get in touch with them and they'll be able to answer all of your questions. They need to assess your full details in order to advise you further - please email [email protected]
Good luck, Bindu

Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
I'm not sure but I think that you wouldn't get home fee status if you switched to Loughborough after a foundation year at Sussex because Year 1 would still be the start of a new course? I would check with the student finance people about that.

If you are getting some results on August 13th, is there any reason you couldn't do Geography with a foundation year at Loughborough instead?

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation/geography/

Hi,
I'm not getting results on August 13th as I live in Malta. My exams were postponed to this September and I'll only get results on November 6th :/
Original post by PQ

I thought foundation years didn't count as the "first year"?

Does the same apply if you switch after the foundation year to the 'normal' course within the same university?
Original post by switchblades
I thought foundation years didn't count as the "first year"?

Does the same apply if you switch after the foundation year to the 'normal' course within the same university?

Unis call it Year 0 but for student funding purposes, it counts as Year 1 of your entitlement wherever you do it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending