The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2020/21

The next cycle of vacation scheme applications has now officially started since Allen & Overy, notoriously first out of the blocks, has opened applications for both their winter and summer VSes.

Best of luck to everyone!

A guide to the common abbreviations which may be used in this thread:
PFO - a rejection (literally meaning 'please f**** off')
VS - vacation scheme
TC - training contract
AC - assessment centre
VI - video/voice interview (depending on the firm)
WG - the Watson Glazer test
SJT - situational judgement test
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what the dates are for A&O's winter vac scheme this year? I've looked all over the website and can't seem to find it :/
Original post by h0pefulstudent
Does anyone know what the dates are for A&O's winter vac scheme this year? I've looked all over the website and can't seem to find it :/

Lol I found it seconds after I posted... It's 7-11 December 2020 if anyone else is wondering
Original post by h0pefulstudent

7-11 December. If you click on the 'apply' button for opportunity it's right there :smile:

Edit: I've just seen that you found it!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Squire Patton Boggs have a vac scheme this winter right? But there’s no link to apply anywhere on their site. In fact, the apply page just shows last years’ dates.
Original post by A9M4D
Squire Patton Boggs have a vac scheme this winter right? But there’s no link to apply anywhere on their site. In fact, the apply page just shows last years’ dates.

This may be a case of simply waiting for them to update their page.
Reply 6
Hi guys i need some advice, does anyone have experience with going into Law after doing a stem degree?

Im currently at the university of Manchester studying bsc. in Molecular biology. However, I would like to go into commercial law and apply for vac schemes etc. How do i demonstrate and develop my interest on application forms/CVs?

secondly I have kinda bad a level grades (BBB) but have achieved 1st class degree results so far? Can a 1st class offset these poor a levels? or do I have zero chance with the top tier/mid tier firms in london. (exc. most magic circle due to not having the min. cut off)

Does anyone have any success stories of gaining vac schemes from stem subject, and securing TCs in top firms with BBB a level grades? Thnak you!
Original post by Kiki99
Hi guys i need some advice, does anyone have experience with going into Law after doing a stem degree?

Im currently at the university of Manchester studying bsc. in Molecular biology. However, I would like to go into commercial law and apply for vac schemes etc. How do i demonstrate and develop my interest on application forms/CVs?

secondly I have kinda bad a level grades (BBB) but have achieved 1st class degree results so far? Can a 1st class offset these poor a levels? or do I have zero chance with the top tier/mid tier firms in london. (exc. most magic circle due to not having the min. cut off)

Does anyone have any success stories of gaining vac schemes from stem subject, and securing TCs in top firms with BBB a level grades? Thnak you!

I'm not a STEM student but I am non-law and my advice would be to get some work experience to demonstrate your interest - try getting in touch with local high street firms and ask for a few days shadowing (I sent out emails to 10 or so local law firms, half didn't answer but one let me shadow departments for a couple of days which has been really helpful in applications/interviews). Also have a look at the virtual experience schemes on InsideSherpa, these are really helpful for understanding exactly what trainees do and again valuable for apps.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to go into law from a STEM degree? I've got a slightly random but very original motivation for law which I tend to get good feedback on after interviews, and having a slightly different route seems to be quite beneficial. And as 50% of trainees are non-law, being a STEM student won't be a barrier - if anything, try to draw out how you can use your STEM background to your advantage as a trainee. I met several STEM students on a MC scheme and also had talks from associates and partners who originally studied STEM, so as long as you can demonstrate your interest in and commitment to law it shouldn't hold you back.

I don't have any direct experience with a level grades but I would be very surprised if firms disregarded you completely for your a level grades (which by the way aren't even bad!) - if you also had a 2:2 that would raise some questions, but you've obviously shown that you're intelligent enough to do the work and that's really what they want to know. My results are only a couple of grades higher and I've had interviews and VS with MC and other top firms.

I hope this helps a bit!
CW - References suicide

Spoiler

Does anyone know of any firms that offer winter vac schemes and are more likely to understanding extenuating circumstances?
Original post by law and junk
curious if anyone knows whether I should include depression when asked about extenuating circumstances. I have suffered with depression for a long time and after getting a 2:1 in my first year of uni, I only got a 2:2 in second year (this was the year when everything came to a head, I was in and out of the A&E mental health crisis department and attempted suicide). After getting diagnosed and put on antidepressants I began to manage much better and my grades improved to reflect what I am capable of and I achieved a high 2:1 in my final year. Essentially, i'm ust curious whether this: counts as genuine extenuating circumstances, and whether or not (even though you technically are not supposed to be but this is the real world) I will be judged negatively for putting this on my vac scheme application.

If you're comfortable with adding that then I think it can certainly count! It may be worth asking a careers adviser about how it might be considered however.
Original post by lawmanqq1999
Does anyone know of any firms that offer winter vac schemes and are more likely to understanding extenuating circumstances?

I don't I'm afraid, but maybe somebody will.
Original post by law and junk
curious if anyone knows whether I should include depression when asked about extenuating circumstances. I have suffered with depression for a long time and after getting a 2:1 in my first year of uni, I only got a 2:2 in second year (this was the year when everything came to a head, I was in and out of the A&E mental health crisis department and attempted suicide). After getting diagnosed and put on antidepressants I began to manage much better and my grades improved to reflect what I am capable of and I achieved a high 2:1 in my final year. Essentially, i'm ust curious whether this: counts as genuine extenuating circumstances, and whether or not (even though you technically are not supposed to be but this is the real world) I will be judged negatively for putting this on my vac scheme application.

I think this is a legitimate and valid example of extenuating circumstances, however I would be wary about how law firms would view this as it could be a bit of a double-edged sword. Obviously that shouldn’t be the case but you never know. Hopefully your research into firms will reveal which firms take mental health more seriously than others and will help you decide where to apply. Best of luck!
Original post by CatusStarbright
The next cycle of vacation scheme applications has now officially started since Allen & Overy, notoriously first out of the blocks, has opened applications for both their winter and summer VSes.

Application and scheme dates:

Allen & Overy

At some point I will update this OP with the details of when more firms open and close their application window.

Best of luck to everyone!

Can we apply for both the winter and summer one? or do we need to choose between them? I haven't applied for any vacation schemes before so not sure. Thanks
Original post by CharleneH87
Can we apply for both the winter and summer one? or do we need to choose between them? I haven't applied for any vacation schemes before so not sure. Thanks

Firms require you to only apply for one of their vacation schemes or their training contract per cycle, i.e. only one application for anything each year. Winter schemes are also typically reserved for final-years and graduates, but do check as this may not be a blanket rule!
Can you apply for first-year opportunities and vac schemes at the same firm? I am in a two-year LLB program, so due to the lack of legal education I'll have while applying I am thinking of applying for some of each type. However, I didn't know if firms would let you apply for both since you can only do vac schemes or training contracts.
Original post by jger_rams2019
Can you apply for first-year opportunities and vac schemes at the same firm? I am in a two-year LLB program, so due to the lack of legal education I'll have while applying I am thinking of applying for some of each type. However, I didn't know if firms would let you apply for both since you can only do vac schemes or training contracts.

I'm not sure actually. This probably depends on the firm - if in doubt contact the places you're considering applying for and ask them.
Do people think its worth applying for an open day? I applied for the Baker Mckenzie open day last year and got it (didn't attend bcs of flights home being too expensive to change), and went to loads of their uni dinners - I kinda cant be bothered to apply as its lengthy and would rather just start applying to actual grad roles/vac schemes instead but don't want to cut my own feet off
Original post by lawmanqq1999
Do people think its worth applying for an open day? I applied for the Baker Mckenzie open day last year and got it (didn't attend bcs of flights home being too expensive to change), and went to loads of their uni dinners - I kinda cant be bothered to apply as its lengthy and would rather just start applying to actual grad roles/vac schemes instead but don't want to cut my own feet off

My personal view is that applying to open days could give you useful information to aid applications to other schemes if you've not had much exposure to the firm or its representatives before. If you feel you know the firm fairly well (well enough to properly tailor an application) then you might feel comfortable enough not to bother going to an open day.
Original post by Kiki99

Well I have noticed that a couple of law firms have dropped their AAB requirements. DWF and Mills & Reeve are both now only asking for BBB. And Shoosmiths has listed CCC for a while now.

So it would seem like A levels are becoming less relevant perhaps?
Reply 19
heard a rumour that once you open the A&O application you only have one month to complete it, can anyone confirm if this is true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending