The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance BSc with Arden University?

I'm planning to take this course this September. This appears to be the only part time/ distance Accounting course around, but I'm not too sure about the quality of the course (although it appears to be accredited by ACCA and other bodies). I wonder if anyone has studied this particular course or had any experience with Arden?

A more general question would be about the type of assignments/ coursework that an Accounting course involves. I've had a long break from studying and in the past I've only done scientific/ math subjects, so I have never really had to write essays or any sort of extended writing. English is not my first language, which doesn't help.

My other option would be to do a Chemistry BSc which would be familiar enough, but apparently job prospects are pretty bad (with some Chemists ending up in finance anyway). I would greatly appreciate any input on this. Thanks
Reply 1
Is it feasibly to study Chemistry by distance learning?

London International and the Open University both have distance learning accounting degrees. I'd be very cautious about courses that say they are 'ACCA accredited'. This is pretty meaningless - ACCA just give a few exemptions - I don't think they do anything much to confirm the quality of the course.

For people distance learning accounting the more normal route is to start with AAT then move to ACCA, or go straight into ACCA. You can pick up a degree while doing this through Oxford Brookes. Employers will trust ACCA exam passes far more than a university, especially one they haven't heard of.
Reply 2
Why distance learning by the way? What is your current job?
Original post by ajj2000
Is it feasibly to study Chemistry by distance learning?

London International and the Open University both have distance learning accounting degrees. I'd be very cautious about courses that say they are 'ACCA accredited'. This is pretty meaningless - ACCA just give a few exemptions - I don't think they do anything much to confirm the quality of the course.

For people distance learning accounting the more normal route is to start with AAT then move to ACCA, or go straight into ACCA. You can pick up a degree while doing this through Oxford Brookes. Employers will trust ACCA exam passes far more than a university, especially one they haven't heard of.

Thanks for replying, very informative! The chemistry course I'm considering is at the University of Salford, which is a physical university.
So in your opinion it would be best to skip the degree and just do AAT and then ACCA? I'm actually almost through with AAT Foundation cert. I'm still uncertain how employable I will be since atm I don't have any sort of degree.
Original post by ajj2000
Why distance learning by the way? What is your current job?

Well, atm I cannot afford to study full time, and sadly there doesn't seem to be any physical universities around me offering Accounting part time. Currently I'm self employed doing decorating/electric work.
Reply 5
Original post by oneCentigrade
Thanks for replying, very informative! The chemistry course I'm considering is at the University of Salford, which is a physical university.
So in your opinion it would be best to skip the degree and just do AAT and then ACCA? I'm actually almost through with AAT Foundation cert. I'm still uncertain how employable I will be since atm I don't have any sort of degree.

I think I would go the AAT/ ACCA route, although it is a bit longwinded and the AAT studying a bit inflexible. If there was a really great remote learning or part time option I might think differently but the OU course has some notable downsides, plus I think the time people take doing part time degrees is frequently too long.

As a note is not generally the lack of a degree which holds people back when trying to find accounting jobs - often A level grades are an issue. But anyway, the ACCA or CIMA route is a bit more direct, more designed for part time study and although I'd guess tougher than most degrees more recognised as a result.
Original post by ajj2000
I think I would go the AAT/ ACCA route, although it is a bit longwinded and the AAT studying a bit inflexible. If there was a really great remote learning or part time option I might think differently but the OU course has some notable downsides, plus I think the time people take doing part time degrees is frequently too long.

As a note is not generally the lack of a degree which holds people back when trying to find accounting jobs - often A level grades are an issue. But anyway, the ACCA or CIMA route is a bit more direct, more designed for part time study and although I'd guess tougher than most degrees more recognised as a result.

Once again, thank you very much for your reply!
Hi I am Louise
I am currently studying a BA honours psychology and sociology course with Arden university distance learning, I am half way through my third year now. I choose to study online with Arden as my closest university's are an hour away and this isn't possible for me due to other commitments like yourself (my children and helping my mum). I also couldn't commit myself to certain days and times of the week so distance learning really is so much easier, you can study at home when you want, evenings, weekends etc, so you can still carry on with your usual day job. The tutors are brilliant so helpful too! good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending