The Student Room Group

RAF Filter Interview Fail Question

Hi all,

I recently had my filter interview (phone call) and as the title states, I failed. I was applying for Pilot and I am fully aware of how competitive this role is.

Edited* to add that I was also asked what the week long exercise is called on the new MIOT course and I could not find that information anywhere before the interview. Not on the raf website or any forums so if anyone knows that can they please let me know.

However, I am also confused about how things went for me. I felt like the interview had went well throughout and I admittedly did forget to mention charity work I had done but otherwise I was happy with how it went. During my follow up call, when I was told I had failed and not met the required score for pilot, I got told the reasons for failing and I felt they were very vague.

When I asked the recruiter why I had a failed and how I could improve I was told to know a little more about NATO and when I asked what more could I learn, it was simply because I had forgotten the date that North Macedonia had joined this year. The other point that was mentioned was about my current affairs topics, I did miss one key point in my UK current affair topic which didn't help but then on the other topic the JNCO didn't feel like I was sure about my opinion on the topic but I felt that I had made it very clear during the interview. Lastly I was told I lost points for not having done charity work (which I know is my fault for forgetting to mention). I asked if there was anything else I had done wrong/ could have done more on and I was told the rest of the interview was good, both the personal aspect and the RAF knowledge were very good and they had no issues with these.

Another thing that has confused me is that the person on the phone was a JNCO recruiter with two others listening in from the AFCO and I thought that these interviews were conducted by the Flt Lt or the SNCO if the Flt Lt is not present? On the follow up call he didn't seem to sure whether or not I should have passed and I just feel like if I were to have failed the feedback would have been more in depth than that. Sorry for the rambling at this point, I am just confused as to what has happened as I have finished that interview feeling like the recruiter wasn't entirely sure of whether or not I have failed.

I don't want it to seem like I am saying it isn't my fault I am just wondering if anyone else has failed the interview and felt like it wasn't fully explained to you why you failed.

Finally, whilst on the phone call I was asked if I would be happy to do a follow up Validation Interview, which only talks about the RAF, NATO and current affairs. I fully intend on doing this, I would just like to know if anyone has had a similar experience?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by C8707600
Hi all,

I recently had my filter interview (phone call) and as the title states, I failed. I was applying for Pilot and I am fully aware of how competitive this role is.

Edited* to add that I was also asked what the week long exercise is called on the new MIOT course and I could not find that information anywhere before the interview. Not on the raf website or any forums so if anyone knows that can they please let me know.

However, I am also confused about how things went for me. I felt like the interview had went well throughout and I admittedly did forget to mention charity work I had done but otherwise I was happy with how it went. During my follow up call, when I was told I had failed and not met the required score for pilot, I got told the reasons for failing and I felt they were very vague.

When I asked the recruiter why I had a failed and how I could improve I was told to know a little more about NATO and when I asked what more could I learn, it was simply because I had forgotten the date that North Macedonia had joined this year. The other point that was mentioned was about my current affairs topics, I did miss one key point in my UK current affair topic which didn't help but then on the other topic the JNCO didn't feel like I was sure about my opinion on the topic but I felt that I had made it very clear during the interview. Lastly I was told I lost points for not having done charity work (which I know is my fault for forgetting to mention). I asked if there was anything else I had done wrong/ could have done more on and I was told the rest of the interview was good, both the personal aspect and the RAF knowledge were very good and they had no issues with these.

Another thing that has confused me is that the person on the phone was a JNCO recruiter with two others listening in from the AFCO and I thought that these interviews were conducted by the Flt Lt or the SNCO if the Flt Lt is not present? On the follow up call he didn't seem to sure whether or not I should have passed and I just feel like if I were to have failed the feedback would have been more in depth than that. Sorry for the rambling at this point, I am just confused as to what has happened as I have finished that interview feeling like the recruiter wasn't entirely sure of whether or not I have failed.

I don't want it to seem like I am saying it isn't my fault I am just wondering if anyone else has failed the interview and felt like it wasn't fully explained to you why you failed.

Finally, whilst on the phone call I was asked if I would be happy to do a follow up Validation Interview, which only talks about the RAF, NATO and current affairs. I fully intend on doing this, I would just like to know if anyone has had a similar experience?

You should change your perspective on thing a bit and then see how it looks

You say you know how competitive pilot is.

You forgot to mention your charity work, which should contain a number of relevant skills.
You couldn't name a key element of basic training
You couldn't remember key dates
You missed a point on current affairs
You didn't convince someone of your opinion

That's how competitive pilot is!

Just suck it up and try to improve for next time.
Reply 2
Regarding the MIOT course, it was posted by Adam from RAF recruitment on this forum (guessing this is what you’re talking about)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6434210

Have you done your CBAT test yet or did you do the interview first due to Covid?
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldn’t expect someone joining as any job to forget which countries had joined NATO and what basic training entails let alone an applicant for Pilot. From your post it seems that you are lucky they are letting you do a “validation” interview.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You should change your perspective on thing a bit and then see how it looks

You say you know how competitive pilot is.

You forgot to mention your charity work, which should contain a number of relevant skills.
You couldn't name a key element of basic training
You couldn't remember key dates
You missed a point on current affairs
You didn't convince someone of your opinion

That's how competitive pilot is!

Just suck it up and try to improve for next time.

Thanks for the reply, in no way am I saying I have been unfairly treated. I know what mistakes I made, however I just feel that my debriefing wasn't very helpful at all, it felt like the advisor couldn't really tell me what to improve on because he himself didn't know and thats why I am just a little confused. Instead of berating me could you possibly point me in the direction of where I could find the aforementioned exercise name? Even in RAF_Adams MIOT post he states that the exercise names have not been released yet so how was I supposed to know it.
Original post by Foured2
Regarding the MIOT course, it was posted by Adam from RAF recruitment on this forum (guessing this is what you’re talking about)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6434210

Have you done your CBAT test yet or did you do the interview first due to Covid?

Thanks for the link, I have used this post to help prepare for this interview and the exercise name is not contained anywhere in that thread. No i had to do the interview first due to Covid.
Original post by AlphaTango
I wouldn’t expect someone joining as any job to forget which countries had joined NATO and what basic training entails let alone an applicant for Pilot. From your post it seems that you are lucky they are letting you do a “validation” interview.

Again thanks for the reply however nowhere in my post did I forget which countries were in NATO I just forgot the day and month which the most recent country had joined. Nor did I say anywhere in my post I didn't know what officer training entails? Like I mentioned before I was told my knowledge of the RAF and training was very good.

My post maybe comes off as a bit of a moany one in the initial post, this was not my intention. What I am trying to get across is, yes I am going to go for a validation interview (which I hadn't heard of before), and I will do my best to revise and rectify my mistakes but I feel like my debriefing was not very beneficial in the sense it was left very vague on what I could improve on because I was only told "current affairs" and "nato". Then when I tried to ask for a more in depth explanation it felt like the advisor couldn't give one because he himself didn't understand what more I needed to give.

Again thanks for your replies, I dont want it to sound like I want this handed to me on a plate, I just wanted to ask if anyone had a similar experience and if they had any tips.
Reply 5
It's not just what you say at interview, it's also how you say it, so there's not knowing an exercise name and explaining what you've done to try and find the answer.

As for the debrief, a lot of it should be self-analysis. First thing I would ask a candidate who'd not passed interview would be how they thought they'd done overall, then for each section and i expected them to do more talking than me. Your paragraph 4 covers points in some detail, then you say it was vague on where you needed to improve; you're lucky you got specifics as you shouldn't be spoonfed on what you need to know for a second interview.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
It's not just what you say at interview, it's also how you say it, so there's not knowing an exercise name and explaining what you've done to try and find the answer.

As for the debrief, a lot of it should be self-analysis. First thing I would ask a candidate who'd not passed interview would be how they thought they'd done overall, then for each section and i expected them to do more talking than me. Your paragraph 4 covers points in some detail, then you say it was vague on where you needed to improve; you're lucky you got specifics as you shouldn't be spoonfed on what you need to know for a second interview.

I have taken note of your first point, when put that way I understand how it may have looked like I hadn't even tried finding the name of the exercise.

Maybe I was expecting too much of the debrief, I currently serve in another service and debriefs are usually a lot more informative so maybe my expectations were too high. I understand they shouldn't be telling us exactly where it went wrong, but just saying learn more on NATO and Current affairs felt a bit broad for me and didn't really allude to why I had failed or how I could improve hence why I tried to get more detail.

Thanks for the reply, I will just do more research and go again with the validation interview. Is this normally something that is offered to people who fail?
Reply 7
I have taken note of your first point, when put that way I understand how it may have looked like I hadn't even tried finding the name of the exercise.

Maybe I was expecting too much of the debrief, I currently serve in another service and debriefs are usually a lot more informative so maybe my expectations were too high. I understand they shouldn't be telling us exactly where it went wrong, but just saying learn more on NATO and Current affairs felt a bit broad for me and didn't really allude to why I had failed or how I could improve hence why I tried to get more detail.

Thanks for the reply, I will just do more research and go again with the validation interview. Is this normally something that is offered to people who fail?

No validation interviews in my day, which was only a few years ago. There could be a reduced interview if someone was swapping branch or trade as they then needed to demonstrate knowledge of the new choice, but they were incredibly rare in my AFCO; I certainly never did one for an Officer. If you didn't pass the interview you were given a minimum number of months after which you could apply again, but not many did so.
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
No validation interviews in my day, which was only a few years ago. There could be a reduced interview if someone was swapping branch or trade as they then needed to demonstrate knowledge of the new choice, but they were incredibly rare in my AFCO; I certainly never did one for an Officer. If you didn't pass the interview you were given a minimum number of months after which you could apply again, but not many did so.

Again thank you for the information. I've had a good think about what everyone's said and I am going to move on from the negative thinking and brush up on my current affairs and nato as a whole to just give it my all in this validation interview. I appreciate everyone's replies and looking back I can see how my first post does come across a bit, well *****y. That was not my intention.

With regards to branch swapping, I was told during a chat with the afco after my P2 that it would entail another full filter interview just that the phase 2 training and job specific chat would have to change. Is that correct? Not that I have any plans on changing but if i were to be deferred for 6 months I am probably not going to be able to do selection process again as I'm 26 next year and would potentially look at moving across into another role if possible.

Again, thanks for your help.
Reply 9
Again thank you for the information. I've had a good think about what everyone's said and I am going to move on from the negative thinking and brush up on my current affairs and nato as a whole to just give it my all in this validation interview. I appreciate everyone's replies and looking back I can see how my first post does come across a bit, well *****y. That was not my intention.

With regards to branch swapping, I was told during a chat with the afco after my P2 that it would entail another full filter interview just that the phase 2 training and job specific chat would have to change. Is that correct? Not that I have any plans on changing but if i were to be deferred for 6 months I am probably not going to be able to do selection process again as I'm 26 next year and would potentially look at moving across into another role if possible.

Again, thanks for your help.

Yes, that's correct about a shortened interview for a branch change; that's what I was referring to in my post #8.

Interviewers make some allowance for nerves; remember we've sat on the same side of the desk as you to join up (and a second time because there is an interview for the Recruiter role). However there are plenty of people who don't get through at the first attempt and sometimes fail in spectacular fashion, so don't take it personally; you've done enough to be given another chance very soon after your first Filter Interview, so see the positives and make the most of the opportunity.

And if you've happened to read the subsequent posts, hopefully you understand what I'm saying about every candidate being judged on their own merits at FI. There is no comparison, and whilst we ask about the role it's solely to see if you've done the research and know what you're getting into. It's just an initial assessment for your suitability to join the RAF. CBAT looks at aptitude, OASC is a more in-depth look at your leadership, and against others.

Best of luck.
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
Yes, that's correct about a shortened interview for a branch change; that's what I was referring to in my post #8.

Interviewers make some allowance for nerves; remember we've sat on the same side of the desk as you to join up (and a second time because there is an interview for the Recruiter role). However there are plenty of people who don't get through at the first attempt and sometimes fail in spectacular fashion, so don't take it personally; you've done enough to be given another chance very soon after your first Filter Interview, so see the positives and make the most of the opportunity.

And if you've happened to read the subsequent posts, hopefully you understand what I'm saying about every candidate being judged on their own merits at FI. There is no comparison, and whilst we ask about the role it's solely to see if you've done the research and know what you're getting into. It's just an initial assessment for your suitability to join the RAF. CBAT looks at aptitude, OASC is a more in-depth look at your leadership, and against others.

Best of luck.

I understand, looking at it more positively now, I am going to make sure I give this second opportunity the best I can give. If I don't achieve it second time round, I think age will stop me applying for pilot again and ill have to look at other options but for now ill remain optimistic that I can use this validation to move forward in the process.

Yes, I did read your further posts and I fully understand where your coming from and how I am assessed at this stage.

Thanks
Reply 11
@Surnia A slight tangential question, from your previous knowledge, does your proficiency at the filter interview stage carry any weight for selection at oasc? Or is it simply a pass/ fail and OASC taken on its own merit?
Reply 12
Original post by hinkus
@Surnia A slight tangential question, from your previous knowledge, does your proficiency at the filter interview stage carry any weight for selection at oasc? Or is it simply a pass/ fail and OASC taken on its own merit?

OASC is taken on its own merit; always has been. The interviews there and in the AFCO have had different formats over the years anyway, like having more than one interviewer at Cranwell, and Current Affairs wasn't covered in the Filter Interview during my time.

You can star in an interview at the AFCO, but that counts for nothing if you don't do well at OASC; they don't look back at the previous write-up and make allowances for anything, or 'average out' scores between the two, for want of a better phrase.

Are you thinking of applying? In the system?
Reply 13
Very useful to know, thank you for your response!
I am in the process, applied in Nov 19 and have just had my medical, chomping at the bit to get the fitness done and hopefully receive a long awaited OASC date.
Was intrigued to know, luckily, and through hard preparation, I was given good feedback on my interview and sympathise with the OP as my personal experience was that the filter interview was very black and white with a very objective purpose, followed through with a helpful review of possible improvements.
I will admit to resting on my laurels through lockdown with my cbat score and interview but in the current uncertainty I have refocused on hopefully becoming a Military Officer as nothing can be taken for granted.
Would love to see a thread discussing the difficulties of a drawn out application during times of uncertain employment!

Quick Reply

Latest