Sussex, Essex or Westminster ? Which one is the best uni for IR

Watch
randomgirl7000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,I want to study international relations and I am not sure which uni I should decide. Apparently Essex Uni is 29th best in the world to study international relations but I heard that Colchester is not a nice place at all ... I also read many bad reviews from Sussex Uni and that it is only good for American studies or Development studies. And Westminster is somehow known as a bad uni in the uk ... But the location is great, though. The campus at Essex looks nice and it is also not far from London, Sussex too. Can someone please help me out ?
Last edited by randomgirl7000; 2 months ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by randomgirl7000)
Hi,I want to study international relations and I am not sure which uni I should decide. Apparently Essex Uni is 29th best in the world to study international relations but I heard that Colchester is not a nice place at all ... I also read many bad reifies form Sussex Uni and that it is only good for American studies or Development studies. And Westminster is somehow known as a bad uni in the uk ... But the location is great, though The campus at Essex looks nice and it is also not far from London, Sussex too. Can someone please help me out ?
I'd seriously advise you to disregard a university's perceived reputation.

all of these universities have their pros and cons - make a table of them.

Colchester isn't the greatest of places to be honest (in that it's a touch on the small side and it's not exactly "bustling" with stuff a student might be interested in) - but I've been to plenty of worse towns. Winchester I've also been to (lunch was not cheap!) and that was pleasant enough. Not visited Sussex uni but I know of folks who've studied there and they've turned out alright too.

Go and visit the unis when you can, and don't listen to anybody else's opinion about the quality of education aside from the students who go there. Other people speculating are probably making it up.
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)

Colchester isn't the greatest of places to be honest (in that it's a touch on the small side and it's not exactly "bustling" with stuff a student might be interested in) - but I've been to plenty of worse towns. Winchester I've also been to (lunch was not cheap!) and that was pleasant enough. Not visited Sussex uni but I know of folks who've studied there and they've turned out alright too.

Go and visit the unis when you can, and don't listen to anybody else's opinion about the quality of education aside from the students who go there. Other people speculating are probably making it up.
thx. So is Colchester dangerous ? Is the town really ugly? I am not living in the uk so I cannot visit any of those universities ...
friskis
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Probably the major difference among these Uni is that Essex is a campus university, the others are not.
Essex campus is really nice and green. All students live in campus (15,000 students), you got clubs, restaurants, shops, sport centre, student union, etc.

I agree, if you can go and visit the Uni and get a feel if you will like living there for the next 3/4 years of your life.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thx. So is Colchester dangerous ? Is the town really ugly? I am not living in the uk so I cannot visit any of those universities ...
Colchester is equally as dangerous as any other place of the same size.
The town is not especially ugly, but this shouldn't be your first priority when choosing a university, focus on the course content and what modules will be available to you.
I'd say Winchester is prettier than Colchester, even though they're both incredibly old place (Roman, I believe).
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Lots of universities are offering virtual open days at the moment - look at their websites and sign up to them!
BedfordMom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sussex university is a campus university, much more of a campus than Essex and of a far better reputation.
BedfordMom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The town is not especially ugly, but this shouldn't be your first priority when choosing a university, focus on the course content and what modules will be available to you.
I'd say Winchester is prettier than Colchester, even though they're both incredibly old place (Roman, I believe).
OP said Westminster university not Winchester.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by BedfordMom)
OP said Westminster university not Winchester.
Oops, well spotted.
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
(Original post by friskis)
Probably the major difference among these Uni is that Essex is a campus university, the others are not.
Essex campus is really nice and green. All students live in campus (15,000 students), you got clubs, restaurants, shops, sport centre, student union, etc.

I agree, if you can go and visit the Uni and get a feel if you will like living there for the next 3/4 years of your life.
thx. Are you a student there ?
friskis
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No no. I think 04MR17 was speaking about size...Colchester is big for Essex, but it's half the size of Brighton and tiny compared to London. You got an old Roman castle, nice parks. Technically Colchester is the oldest recorded town in England.
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
thx. But I cannot visit those universities at all ( not living in the uk )
friskis
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thx. But I cannot visit those universities at all ( not living in the uk )
No problem, most Universities have online virtual tours:
https://www.essex.ac.uk/visit-us/campus-tours
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/visit...tour/list.html
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
You're right. I really do like the modules at Essex
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay so ignore what I said about Winchester.
Westminster university is (shockingly) a pretty urban one, given that it's slap bang in the middle of London. This makes it a lot more expensive to live there and is quite different o the more rural/suburban setting of the Sussex campus.

I'd say have a think about what type of university you want to live in, campus (Sussex), city (Westminster) or somewhere in between (Essex).

However, the priority should always be the course and the modules therein, not the place itself.
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
Okay so ignore what I said about Winchester.
Westminster university is (shockingly) a pretty urban one, given that it's slap bang in the middle of London. This makes it a lot more expensive to live there and is quite different o the more rural/suburban setting of the Sussex campus.

I'd say have a think about what type of university you want to live in, campus (Sussex), city (Westminster) or somewhere in between (Essex).

However, the priority should always be the course and the modules therein, not the place itself.
thx a lot!! Bu I am still struggling. I do not know anything about their internship opportunities. Everyone is telling me that I should study in London in order to get the best internships as most companies are in London. But I really love the idea about living in a campus university and believe that there are also many internship opportunities in Sussex or Essex. I love big cities but I am afraid that I will not find any friends there( big city, no campus...) Someone also told me that employers do care about the uni you attended and that it would be bad to study at Westminster as it is considered as one of the most bad uni in the uk.
friskis
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thx a lot!! Bu I am still struggling. I do not know anything about their internship opportunities. Everyone is telling me that I should study in London in order to get the best internships as most companies are in London. But I really love the idea about living in a campus university and believe that there are also many internship opportunities in Sussex or Essex. I love big cities but I am afraid that I will not find any friends there( big city, no campus...) Someone also told me that employers do care about the uni you attended and that it would be bad to study at Westminster as it is considered as one of the most bad uni in the uk.
This is actually not correct, the fact that the University is in London does not mean you get the best internships. Considering the subject, i'm guessing internships will be in London even if you study in Sussex or Essex, and studying in London will not give you an advantage.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
:ditto:

Also both Sussex and Colchester are a stone's throw from London and easily accessible by train.

(When compared with the rest of England)
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
(Original post by friskis)
This is actually not correct, the fact that the University is in London does not mean you get the best internships. Considering the subject, i'm guessing internships will be in London even if you study in Sussex or Essex, and studying in London will not give you an advantage.
Oh ok. I was not sure about it
randomgirl7000
Rep:
?
(Original post by BedfordMom)
Sussex university is a campus university, much more of a campus than Essex and of a far better reputation.
Really ? I heard that Sussex has a lot of strikes...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.57%
I'm not sure (52)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (552)
48.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise