The Student Room Group

Important phrases to learn when learning new language?

Or words?
I’m learning hindi

Scroll to see replies

It depends on what level of language you would like to achieve.
Are you aiming for eventual fluency in hindi, or to handle basic conversations, phrases etc?

For basics I would really recommend using Memrise, as it covers everything you need as a beginner (I'm not sure how many courses are available for Hindi though).

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Most people learn a language with a view to speaking to other people in that language rather than to reading things written in the language, so phrases which are useful in social interaction are a good start.

Hello, how are you, my name is, goodbye, thank you, please, words like that.

Choose a small number of words and listen to how they are pronounced online so that your pronunciation is good.

What brought you to choose Hindi?
Original post by Roses_Dreams
Are you aiming for eventual fluency in hindi, or to handle basic conversations, phrases etc?

For basics I would really recommend using Memrise, as it covers everything you need as a beginner (I'm not sure how many courses are available for Hindi though).

I want to be fluent in it but I don’t care about learning how to write In hindi because ik it’s not like the English alphabet.
Original post by Roses_Dreams

Wish I was good at another language :redface:
Original post by Kerzen
Most people learn a language with a view to speaking to other people in that language rather than to reading things written in the language, so phrases which are useful in social interaction are a good start.

Hello, how are you, my name is, goodbye, thank you, please, words like that.

Choose a small number of words and listen to how they are pronounced online so that your pronunciation is good.

What brought you to choose Hindi?

I’ve learnt how to greet someone and some Basic words.

Yeah I’ve learnt all of them, I want to start learning more stuff tho

Hindi is such an interesting language
Original post by Angelic Roar
Or words?
I’m learning hindi

Namaste!

Spoiler

Original post by 5hyl33n
Namaste!

Spoiler

Namaste, Aap kese hain? Aap se milkar khushi hwi💫
Original post by 5hyl33n
Namaste!

Spoiler

I think most English people learn where is the pub:smile:
Reply 9
'sorry, my language is ****' was immeasurably helpful for me, plus it got a giggle from those i had to use it on :lol:
Reply 10
I’ve learnt how to greet someone and some Basic words.

Yeah I’ve learnt all of them, I want to start learning more stuff tho

Hindi is such an interesting language

Do you have some good learning materials? If you are keen, you could start to understand some of the grammar at this point.
Original post by Kerzen
Do you have some good learning materials? If you are keen, you could start to understand some of the grammar at this point.

honestly I searched YouTube phrases on YouTube and learnt some but now I have no idea where to learn it from

Original post by Napp
'sorry, my language is ****' was immeasurably helpful for me, plus it got a giggle from those i had to use it on :lol:

hahaha yes! thanks :smile:
Namaste, Aap kese hain? Aap se milkar khushi hwi💫

Main achhi hoon poochhane ke lie dhanyavaad. Aap kese hain?

Original post by Goldie-Is-King
I think most English people learn where is the pub:smile:

:unsure:
If you're learning a modern language then definitely learn things that you would actually use in everyday speech, like greetings, asking questions, colours, numbers etc.
The stark difference between modern and ancient languages is honestly hilarious. In our first spanish and french classes (and hindi which I also speak) it'd always be that sort of thing, and then in Latin and Greek our first words would be 'master', 'slave', 'to guard', 'to kill', 'to chase'...
Original post by 5hyl33n

I mean when english people go on holiday they seem to only want to drink and mess about

ive only been away once so maybe im wrong sorry shyleen:frown:
Original post by 5hyl33n

The only thing I understood was the thank you😔 isn’t it mai teek hoon for “I’m fine”
The only thing I understood was the thank you😔 isn’t it mai teek hoon for “I’m fine”

yup!
Original post by Goldie-Is-King
I mean when english people go on holiday they seem to only want to drink and mess about

ive only been away once so maybe im wrong sorry shyleen:frown:

No need to be sorry x

I don't completely disagree with you on that, but I think it depends on the person and the crowd.
Original post by spqr101
yup!

ah what did she say instead

Original post by spqr101
If you're learning a modern language then definitely learn things that you would actually use in everyday speech, like greetings, asking questions, colours, numbers etc.
The stark difference between modern and ancient languages is honestly hilarious. In our first spanish and french classes (and hindi which I also speak) it'd always be that sort of thing, and then in Latin and Greek our first words would be 'master', 'slave', 'to guard', 'to kill', 'to chase'...

Yeah you’re right, I’ve learnt greetings and stuff like thank you, sorry, yes, no etc.

and why would that be used in everyday speech
Original post by 5hyl33n
No need to be sorry x

I don't completely disagree with you on that, but I think it depends on the person and the crowd.

ok thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending