The Student Room Group

Are birthdays childish!

My birthday is next week and in our family birthdays are kinda a big deal. We always make a cake with candles and sing happy birthday, despite me being the youngest in the house (17).
My sister is in her 20s and has her own place but still acts like a big kid on Christmas and birthdays and, while I have absolutely nothing against that, I cannot help but feel it’s overdone. As the youngest, on my birthday I’m still treated somewhat as a kid. I always say no presents but everyone still goes kinda over the top, even when it doesn’t compare to the gifts I gave to their birthdays. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful. I’m just not comfortable being pampered so much, especially when it now feels like I’m the last family member where these traditions are still kept alive as I’m still not quite an adult.
My boyfriend doesn’t do anything to celebrate his own. I did get him some gifts and plan a date but he just didn’t seem to care much. This makes me feel like when he spends my birthday with me and my family he’ll think we’re childish as we like our traditions with gifts and cake and blowing out your candles (probs not cause of corona) and singing. My ideal birthday these days is spending the day with every close to me for either a bbq or at a restaurant and then having a slice of homemade chocolate cake. That’s all I’d be content with. What do you guys think? Is celebrating your birthdays in this way childish?
No, you’ll only be the youngest for so long. Enjoy it. Like every stage in life.
I always preferred having a low key birthday for myself but it's not childish to celebrate! It's more up to what you'd rather do. I prefer having a slice of cake and having a lazy day but if you/friends want to go all out and party or your family want to make a fuss and you feel fine with definitely go for it
Reply 3
Last year my family celebrated 3 adult birthdays (ending in 0) at a joint party and still had cake with candles and singing and a mix of fun and serious presents.

It's not childish, and enjoy the fact that you have a family who care so much! When you leave home, you can do what you want.
Original post by Claydo66
My birthday is next week and in our family birthdays are kinda a big deal. We always make a cake with candles and sing happy birthday, despite me being the youngest in the house (17).
My sister is in her 20s and has her own place but still acts like a big kid on Christmas and birthdays and, while I have absolutely nothing against that, I cannot help but feel it’s overdone. As the youngest, on my birthday I’m still treated somewhat as a kid. I always say no presents but everyone still goes kinda over the top, even when it doesn’t compare to the gifts I gave to their birthdays. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful. I’m just not comfortable being pampered so much, especially when it now feels like I’m the last family member where these traditions are still kept alive as I’m still not quite an adult.
My boyfriend doesn’t do anything to celebrate his own. I did get him some gifts and plan a date but he just didn’t seem to care much. This makes me feel like when he spends my birthday with me and my family he’ll think we’re childish as we like our traditions with gifts and cake and blowing out your candles (probs not cause of corona) and singing. My ideal birthday these days is spending the day with every close to me for either a bbq or at a restaurant and then having a slice of homemade chocolate cake. That’s all I’d be content with. What do you guys think? Is celebrating your birthdays in this way childish?

Happy birthday for next week, by the way! I hope whatever happens, you manage to enjoy it.

Yes, I suppose for some the cake, the singing at 17 seems a bit naff. Not very cool, is it?

But now I am older and the boys have all but left home, I treasure those innocent memories. I was lucky because as there was lockdown, I got to spend my 57th birthday with them, and we had an Indian take away and some Asti Spumante. However I am well aware because of their busy course and careers, I will probably spend my next birthday alone, quietly missing them.

I would say, grin and bear your 17th birthday. There will be plenty of more adult, restrained birthdays for you in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest