The Student Room Group

Minor Accident - Worried

I was involved in a very minor car incident. The person who i had the incident with has said the accident was minor and they do not want to pursue anything further. Apparently i still need to report to the insurance company. Does anyone know what information they require and what impact this will have on my insurance costs. Do they require third party details, dont really want to get them involved again.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by QCons-
I was involved in a very minor car incident. The person who i had the incident with has said the accident was minor and they do not want to pursue anything further. Apparently i still need to report to the insurance company. Does anyone know what information they require and what impact this will have on my insurance costs. Do they require third party details, dont really want to get them involved again.

Yes, you're right that you do have to contact your insurance company about any incidents.
It's likely that they will want to contact the other person as they will want evidence that they are fine and don't want to pursue any action. This is to protect against future claims in case they change their mind!
Reply 2
Original post by QCons-

Likely the registration of the other vehicle and their details.

Theoretically negligible impact on premiums as no claim made.
Reply 3
Original post by L-K
Yes, you're right that you do have to contact your insurance company about any incidents.
It's likely that they will want to contact the other person as they will want evidence that they are fine and don't want to pursue any action. This is to protect against future claims in case they change their mind!

Thank you. They did not even ask for my insurance details so not sure how likely it is they will change their mind etc.
Reply 4
Original post by QCons-
Thank you. They did not even ask for my insurance details so not sure how likely it is they will change their mind etc.

They can still change their minds, so best to be honest with your insurance company, plus stops any further problems if they decided to persue :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Joshkav
They can still change their minds, so best to be honest with your insurance company, plus stops any further problems if they decided to persue :smile:

Yeah true. But I dont want to go back to the guy and say can i have your details because i am reporting it to my insurance. If you know what i mean. The only pic i took is of his number plate. So i dont mind reporting it for information purposes. Providing i dont have to get them involved again. And also it doesn't impact my premiums or costs.
Reply 6
Original post by QCons-
Yeah true. But I dont want to go back to the guy and say can i have your details because i am reporting it to my insurance. If you know what i mean. The only pic i took is of his number plate. So i dont mind reporting it for information purposes. Providing i dont have to get them involved again. And also it doesn't impact my premiums or costs.

Their reg should be enough, they can see which insurance company insures that vehicle any everything. If anything, they will get into travel for probably not telling their insurance provider.

It shouldn't impact your premiums, or if it does, only minorly :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by QCons-

He should expect that you’ll let your insurance know regardless of whether you claim or not. Did he get your details too? You’re obligated to inform your insurance company. It shouldn’t impact your premiums/ no claims as you aren’t claiming against your insurance or his. If he also doesn’t claim against your insurance or if he was at fault then there’ll be no effect to your premium. However, when you inform your insurance they will ask for the other parties information and want to know what damage was done to both vehicles, if you or the other party were injured, where you were and where you were going etc. In theory, you give all the details as if you were going to make a claim but your insurers usually calculate who was at fault and just close the claim/ leave a pin in it so if you do want to claim at a later date, then you can.
Reply 8
Original post by Joshkav
Their reg should be enough, they can see which insurance company insures that vehicle any everything. If anything, they will get into travel for probably not telling their insurance provider.

It shouldn't impact your premiums, or if it does, only minorly :smile:

Okay thats fine i will report it. But will this get them in trouble, which isnt what i want to be honest.
Reply 9
Original post by Bexjw
He should expect that you’ll let your insurance know regardless of whether you claim or not. Did he get your details too? You’re obligated to inform your insurance company. It shouldn’t impact your premiums/ no claims as you aren’t claiming against your insurance or his. If he also doesn’t claim against your insurance or if he was at fault then there’ll be no effect to your premium. However, when you inform your insurance they will ask for the other parties information and want to know what damage was done to both vehicles, if you or the other party were injured, where you were and where you were going etc. In theory, you give all the details as if you were going to make a claim but your insurers usually calculate who was at fault and just close the claim/ leave a pin in it so if you do want to claim at a later date, then you can.

Okay thank you for the response. I would report it but all the details i took was the registration. I don't really want to engage with the other party now that it is effectively resolved between us. I can provide my insurance with his registration but dont really want him getting in trouble for not reporting or they ask me for further information which i need to speak to him about again.
Reply 10
Original post by QCons-
Okay thank you for the response. I would report it but all the details i took was the registration. I don't really want to engage with the other party now that it is effectively resolved between us. I can provide my insurance with his registration but dont really want him getting in trouble for not reporting or they ask me for further information which i need to speak to him about again.

It's your obligation.
Reply 11
Original post by QCons-

When I’ve informed my insurers of involvement in an accident (other party was found to be at fault and admitted liability. No damage to my vehicle but large damage to his.) they wanted more than just his registration. I had to contact him again to confirm: full name, address, insurance company and a contact number. It depends on your insurer but they expect you to get these details regardless of resolution at the scene.

The way to look at it is, he may say it’s all sorted and he won’t claim. You carry on as normal and then get calls from your insurance company to say he has in fact made a claim against you. You’re then at fault for not informing your insurer and that’s where you face problems and increased premiums.

It’s easier to have one awkward conversation - call, explain you were both involved in an accident and could he please confirm his details as you need to inform your insurer. Explain that you’re not intending to make a claim but need the details to be thorough and ask if he got all of yours/ need anything clarifying. Also, the main thing, check he’s okay! Most people will be happy to cooperate. If you have any issues then you can relay them back to your insurer but it’s usually easier to have the details when you inform your insurer instead of calling back and forward. He won’t get in any trouble for you being truthful. At the end of the day, he should be actively doing exactly the same and informing his insurance too. I’d just make sure you’re covered and there’s no possibility of you having any issues in the future.

EDIT: if you’re hesitant because you don’t want to contact them again, pass on the details you have to your insurer and see if it’s enough. For me, it wasn’t but I suppose if you don’t want to contact him again, you could at least let your insurers know and go from there.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by QCons-
Okay thats fine i will report it. But will this get them in trouble, which isnt what i want to be honest.

You HAVE to tell your insurer, who will check with his. He will only get into trouble if he didn't tell his insurer.

But you have to tell your insurer regardless if you dont want to get him in trouble :smile:
Reply 13
The principle is you need to tell your insurance company everything. For piece of mind I would do this. If you only have the vehicle registration how can you be expected to make contact again? What was the damage, did they take your name and address, what was their attitude - you can weigh up doing nothing. However be aware that people frequently change their minds when they tell other people what happened and are encouraged to make a claim. So best to tell what happened and to share the info you have, nothing will surprise an insurance company they know every situation that arises. Providing there is no claim I wouldn’t expect it to have a significant effect on premium.
Reply 14
Okay I have told my insurance. They are going to speak with him and I think now because I have raised it he will claim.

Does anyone know how much roughly this will impact my insurance cost? And what impacts this.
Reply 15
Original post by Bexjw
When I’ve informed my insurers of involvement in an accident (other party was found to be at fault and admitted liability. No damage to my vehicle but large damage to his.) they wanted more than just his registration. I had to contact him again to confirm: full name, address, insurance company and a contact number. It depends on your insurer but they expect you to get these details regardless of resolution at the scene.

The way to look at it is, he may say it’s all sorted and he won’t claim. You carry on as normal and then get calls from your insurance company to say he has in fact made a claim against you. You’re then at fault for not informing your insurer and that’s where you face problems and increased premiums.

It’s easier to have one awkward conversation - call, explain you were both involved in an accident and could he please confirm his details as you need to inform your insurer. Explain that you’re not intending to make a claim but need the details to be thorough and ask if he got all of yours/ need anything clarifying. Also, the main thing, check he’s okay! Most people will be happy to cooperate. If you have any issues then you can relay them back to your insurer but it’s usually easier to have the details when you inform your insurer instead of calling back and forward. He won’t get in any trouble for you being truthful. At the end of the day, he should be actively doing exactly the same and informing his insurance too. I’d just make sure you’re covered and there’s no possibility of you having any issues in the future.

EDIT: if you’re hesitant because you don’t want to contact them again, pass on the details you have to your insurer and see if it’s enough. For me, it wasn’t but I suppose if you don’t want to contact him again, you could at least let your insurers know and go from there.

So i spoke to the guy whos car i hit. He said my insurance pretty much sold him into claiming and they can fix his car and send him a hire car. And not to go through his insurance. And for me my premiums are going to increase and i wont find out by how much until end of the year.

Anyone know indication by how much my premium will increase.
Reply 16
Original post by QCons-
So i spoke to the guy whos car i hit. He said my insurance pretty much sold him into claiming and they can fix his car and send him a hire car. And not to go through his insurance. And for me my premiums are going to increase and i wont find out by how much until end of the year.

Anyone know indication by how much my premium will increase.

No idea, sorry. Could be hundreds, could be thousands, could be nothing.
Reply 17
Look OP, as nice a fella you may well be/ want to be, it is not your concern as to whether the other party is in trouble or not.

You have an obligation to your insurer. If you start messing around with insurance companies now it may end up being very costly for most of your driving career.
Reply 18
Thanks for the advice everyone i have told them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending