The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology needs BPS accreditation?

Im currently finishing my BSc Psychology degree now and planning to apply for a masters in clinical/ educational psychology. My current undergrad is BPS accredited. However, Ive realised not many unis offer educational psychology or they have a MA/ MSc education with modules in psychology without BPS accreditation. Im just wondering if these programmes are recognised and are relevant as I hope to become an educational psychologist.
Original post by wesgwl
Im currently finishing my BSc Psychology degree now and planning to apply for a masters in clinical/ educational psychology. My current undergrad is BPS accredited. However, Ive realised not many unis offer educational psychology or they have a MA/ MSc education with modules in psychology without BPS accreditation. Im just wondering if these programmes are recognised and are relevant as I hope to become an educational psychologist.

Hi there, congrats for nearing the end of your UG degree!

My understanding is that as long as your UG is BPS accredited, your Master's degree doesn't need to be as you will already hold GBC.
Reply 2
Original post by ChangeDirection
Hi there, congrats for nearing the end of your UG degree!

My understanding is that as long as your UG is BPS accredited, your Master's degree doesn't need to be as you will already hold GBC.

Thanks! If BPS accreditation at masters isnt necessary, will a general MA/ MSc in education will be considered a relevant qualification in this career path? From what Ive read some unis offer modules on psychology in their education masters programme although most of it is on research, policies, language, etc. Its interesting to me still but I dont want to end up taking a course and realising I have to do something else more psychology-based in order for it to be recognised.
Reply 3
Masters courses do not usually go hand in hand with needing to be BPS accred/GBC status for most students. If you obtain it at undergrad like most - perfect. If not then some MSc courses are conversion courses allowing those who didn't accomplish this at undergrad for whatever reason to gain it. More often than not in the psych world a masters course isn't a mandatory prerequisite for further postgrad study so as long as it is relevant to your advancement and development then it will be relevant in a wider sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending