The Student Room Group

All downgraded Scottish Awards to be reversed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by absolutelysprout
gosh
what's going to happen then if they've missed their offer but now will meet it :ninja:

The process will be the same as for people who are rejected and then meet their offer with a priority remark.

The problem is that process involves a lot of emails between universities, UCAS and schools/students and is quite a manual process from UCAS point of view. Managing it for a few hundred priority remarks is one thing, managing it for thousands of Scottish students is quite another
Original post by thegalaxy
Wow. Wouldn't have expected that. Wonder if England/Wales/NI follow suit.

They shouldn't. People in England have the chance to sit the autumn exams if they aren't happy with their grades. Plus doing what SQA did is essentially giving the grades that they want without sitting and form of public exam, that's not fair on other cohorts who have had to induce the stress of doing 2-5 weeks of back to back exams in order to end up in the same place. Also unfair on state schools as private schools like to over-predict. DON'T follow suit Ofqual!
Original post by highlighters0312
Also politically - the 2 year groups grades and their parents will be of voting age soon. Maybe that will sway BoJo

It surely did sway the Scottish government 16+17 yr olds are able to vote next year in their elections.
Original post by 1811 Pico Blvd
The whole cohort don't deserve the grades they've been given? :s-smilie:

it's not about deserving it is is about the fact that this ruling means that unis and employers will just see any grades achieved in this year as the result of pandering and mollycoddling and thus of no value, whether they were genuinely deserved or not. Once everyone is special, no one is
Good luck anyone from any other age getting a job now you're having to compete with this shambles. The results were already increased from last year. This is a disgrace of the highest proportions.
Original post by BasicMistake
Advanced Higher Pass Rates

2016-19 average: 80.4%
2020 moderated: 84.9%
2020 predicted: 92.8%

This will increase pass rates by over 12 percentage points. Failure rates will more than halve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53580888

Surely this will be higher
Upgraded moderated grades will be kept and only downgraded moderated grades will be changed - so the number of passes will be higher even than the predicted.
Original post by 1st superstar
They shouldn't. People in England have the chance to sit the autumn exams if they aren't happy with their grades. Plus doing what SQA did is essentially giving the grades that they want without sitting and form of public exam, that's not fair on other cohorts who have had to induce the stress of doing 2-5 weeks of back to back exams in order to end up in the same place. Also unfair on state schools as private schools like to over-predict. DON'T follow suit Ofqual!

Surely almost all schools over-predicted. And no one would really want to take exams in Oct/Nov since they have moved on further in their education and have other things to do. I say Ofqual should follow suit. We’ll see what happens on Thursday I’m sure there will be a massive outcry which I am hoping for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TomSmith12345
Good luck anyone from any other age getting a job now you're having to compete with this shambles. The results were already increased from last year. This is a disgrace of the highest proportions.

Agreed
Reply 68
Original post by 1st superstar

Being able to sit the Autumn series is in no way comparable to this Scottish move. Sitting the exams means sacrificing your university place for not even a guaranteed improvement. Scottish pupils have been simply let off with a 13.7% higher pass rate and a complete lack of moderation of the biased and unfair teacher predicted grades.
Worth saying the pass rate isn't necessarily the same as the proportion of students getting different grades each year. A single statistic can't tell you everything about the results this year.
also teacher estimates need to be moderated- do people actually believe that teachers wouldn't have given someone a very optimistic grade because they liked them? or that no cognitive biases would have come into play? Idealism doesnt work in the real world
Original post by PQ
Surely this will be higher
Upgraded moderated grades will be kept and only downgraded moderated grades will be changed - so the number of passes will be higher even than the predicted.

Good point, that data was taken from an article published last week.

I'm not sure what proportion of grades were upgraded as opposed to downgraded. Probably enough to shift those numbers by one or maybe two percentage points.
I don’t want to play devils advocate but the prelim(mock) grades should’ve been used to prevent this fiasco
Original post by pineapplepink
also teacher estimates need to be moderated- do people actually believe that teachers wouldn't have given someone a very optimistic grade because they liked them? or that no cognitive biases would have come into play? Idealism doesnt work in the real world

No and statistically they over predict because they are only human and want to please their students. That’s why Unis normally give students conditional offers rather than just accepting their predicted grades
Original post by IbeIC123
I don’t want to play devils advocate but the prelim(mock) grades should’ve been used to prevent this fiasco

I can see that but progress between January - May is omitted, which would leave 'crammers' who didn't do too well subject to poor grades or their teachers trying to inform otherwise

I do agree that it would give a good outline to performance though.
Original post by HolaNeinoa
Surely almost all schools over-predicted. And no one would really want to take exams in Oct/Nov since they have moved on further in their education and have other things to do. I say Ofqual should follow suit. We’ll see what happens on Thursday I’m sure there will be a massive outcry which I am hoping for.

Definitely not! if I was in Y13 I would have just sat the autumn exams. As I've said before giving people the grades that they want without sitting any public exam is not fair on previous, future cohorts or private candidates. If Ofqual follow suit then I really hope that it's for GCSEs only and not A-levels.
nicola sturgeon has been lauded across the land for her supposedly good handing of the pandemic in scotland but then you get this sort of shite. unbelievable

I agree and disagree. There would be a lot of complaints because of: „I would have done better in may’s exam” paranoia.

Then again many students don’t try in their mocks and some cheat.
Original post by bored_user:)
Wow would this happen for the A levels too??

If they mess up really badly like the SQA did, then probably yes. But if they don’t, then no. Remember they’re 2 different Governments and just because one does something doesn’t mean the other will necessarily follow along (only the case for devolved matters).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending