The Student Room Group

Have cramming ever worked for you?

Im not planning on cramming but I study in a very slow pace because I'm a slow learner. Just incase it comes to that have any of you ever passed an A-Level exam by cramming? By passing i mean getting a minimum grade of C.

Basically ive got about 2 months and its not revision its new content... one a level subject
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've done well in university exams by cramming. Its doable but very stressful. Don't pre-plan to cram just work consistently throughout the year,
Depends on what you mean by ‘cramming’. If you mean the night or day before then no, never. You’d have to either have a crazy insane memory or just be naturally good at the subject to do that at a-level. If you mean like 2 weeks of quick revision before a mock then yeah, it’s possible. I got a few C’s in chemistry just by ‘cramming’ 2 weeks before hand
Original post by Anonymous17!
Depends on what you mean by ‘cramming’. If you mean the night or day before then no, never. You’d have to either have a crazy insane memory or just be naturally good at the subject to do that at a-level. If you mean like 2 weeks of quick revision before a mock then yeah, it’s possible. I got a few C’s in chemistry just by ‘cramming’ 2 weeks before hand

I mean a little bit less than 2 months before an A-Level exam and lets say im only familiar with half of it and the rest is all new to me

how about 2 months before an A level im not very familiar with
Original post by Anthony1912
I mean a little bit less than 2 months before an A-Level exam and lets say im only familiar with half of it and the rest is all new to me

What’s your exact situation? Are you a year 12 thinking about how you’re going to get you a-levels next year or you a fellows year 13 whose trying to figure out if they cram 2 years worth of a-level content into 2 months before October exams?
What’s your exact situation? Are you a year 12 thinking about how you’re going to get you a-levels next year or you a fellows year 13 whose trying to figure out if they cram 2 years worth of a-level content into 2 months before October exams?

Year 12 student that is a private candidate. I was supposed to sit a few As levels and one A level this year ( international) but i didn't have anyone to predict my grades so autumn exams are my only choice. I'm doing A level chemistry right now. I'm done revising As chemistry I recently started the A2 level.

(long story short my university changed requirements which is why I need to do one more a level on such short notice. And luckily for me in International A-levels for ed excel, autumn exams happen every year) So I've got about less than 2 months to finish 2 units and a half. I'm going to suit A level chemistry all 6 units.

Since im a slow learned I'm a bit behind, so I wonder if worst case scenario it would be possible to roughly cram as much as i can to at least get a C grade.

I managed to get a predicted in only one of my subjects however I have to sit Maths and Chem in Autumn. As math and As chem are just revision for me but A2 Chem is new
Crammed for my entire life and I've just finished uni with a 2:1 in Forensic Computing & Security. Can't be that bad...
It's not for me but I know people for whom it has worked. I think it depends on how you retain knowledge.
Year 12 student that is a private candidate. I was supposed to sit a few As levels and one A level this year ( international) but i didn't have anyone to predict my grades so autumn exams are my only choice. I'm doing A level chemistry right now. I'm done revising As chemistry I recently started the A2 level.

(long story short my university changed requirements which is why I need to do one more a level on such short notice. And luckily for me in International A-levels for ed excel, autumn exams happen every year) So I've got about less than 2 months to finish 2 units and a half. I'm going to suit A level chemistry all 6 units.

Since im a slow learned I'm a bit behind, so I wonder if worst case scenario it would be possible to roughly cram as much as i can to at least get a C grade.

I managed to get a predicted in only one of my subjects however I have to sit Maths and Chem in Autumn. As math and As chem are just revision for me but A2 Chem is new

I’ve done a-level chem and maths and I hate to sound very negative and being your hopes down but from personal experience, to try and learn A2 Chem and revise it in the span of 2 months is just not very likely to go down well. Especially with self teaching but idk. We only had 5 hours of chemistry a week for learning and it took us from September-November to do Organic, December-Feb RO do physical and then Feb-March to do inorganic and practicals. But...you are a private candidate so you could theoretically spend most of your day going through content so you could get through it quicker I guess. It’s a big risk though but I guess it could be possible, I can’t really say. What revision/teaching tools are you using?
That's the only way I've prepared for virtually every exam I've sat as I'm lazy and have a poor attention span until I'm under serious time pressure. It makes things unnecessarily stressful but it's worked every time.
Im not planning on cramming but I study in a very slow pace because I'm a slow learner. Just incase it comes to that have any of you ever passed an A-Level exam by cramming? By passing i mean getting a minimum grade of C.

Basically ive got about 2 months and its not revision its new content... one a level subject

yes it has worked for me
I’ve done a-level chem and maths and I hate to sound very negative and being your hopes down but from personal experience, to try and learn A2 Chem and revise it in the span of 2 months is just not very likely to go down well. Especially with self teaching but idk. We only had 5 hours of chemistry a week for learning and it took us from September-November to do Organic, December-Feb RO do physical and then Feb-March to do inorganic and practicals. But...you are a private candidate so you could theoretically spend most of your day going through content so you could get through it quicker I guess. It’s a big risk though but I guess it could be possible, I can’t really say. What revision/teaching tools are you using?

I've got an online tutor and I'm studying it full time. I'm almost done with Unit 4, I've got one more topic from unit 4 (topic 15) and unit 5 left. As you know unit 6 content is mixed throughout unit 4 and 5. Its ready-made online videos that I watch with topic questions ready after each small part of the topic. There is no actual practicals its just unit 6 that's questions related to practicals. And I solve papers from save my exams after every topic I finish. As for time, I spend a few hours every day. I'm trying to be realistic, so I'm obv not aiming for an A.. more like a C.. what do you think?
I've got an online tutor and I'm studying it full time. I'm almost done with Unit 4, I've got one more topic from unit 4 (topic 15) and unit 5 left. As you know unit 6 content is mixed throughout unit 4 and 5. Its ready-made online videos that I watch with topic questions ready after each small part of the topic. There is no actual practicals its just unit 6 that's questions related to practicals. And I solve papers from save my exams after every topic I finish. As for time, I spend a few hours every day. I'm trying to be realistic, so I'm obv not aiming for an A.. more like a C.. what do you think?

What exam board are you doing?
(edited 3 years ago)
What exam board are you doing?

Edexcel
Edexcel

Ahhh right, I was so confused about the units thing because I did AQA. I was going to suggest using Chemsheets for self study, we used them in class and they covered basically everything that you needed to know about all the topics. I’m guessing the majority of the content is the same across all exam boards, there might be some differences but chemsheets was really good for the aqa spec.
I get A*’s in maths, further maths and chemistry tests for which I start studying a week in advance. For mocks and EoY exams I start a month before the exam and I do alright.
Ahhh right, I was so confused about the units thing because I did AQA. I was going to suggest using Chemsheets for self study, we used them in class and they covered basically everything that you needed to know about all the topics. I’m guessing the majority of the content is the same across all exam boards, there might be some differences but chemsheets was really good for the aqa spec.

I dont need chem sheets beacuse the video only contains the content that i need with fixed notes. so im guessing that way it would be doable?
I dont need chem sheets beacuse the video only contains the content that i need with fixed notes. so im guessing that way it would be doable?

I really can’t say but it seems like you’re doing ok and making some progress so I think yeah, a C could be doable if you put the hours in. Good luck :wink:
yes the night before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending