The Student Room Group

Have your say: Schools should tell students their teacher-predicted grades

Here's where you can post a comment about our Schools should tell students their teacher-predicted grades article.

Read the full Schools should tell students their teacher-predicted grades article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Scroll to see replies

An interesting article, but Kate Green is objectively wrong about this:
Kate Green
Young people deserve to have their hard work assessed on merit, but the system risks baking in inequality and doing the most harm to students from disadvantaged backgrounds, those from ethnic minority groups and those with special educational needs and disabilities.

Ofqual have released their analysis and this is simply not correct. Unless the Shadow Education Secretary is seriously suggesting that Ofqual are lying to us, it's evidently ridiculous to claim that this is even a possibility.

I don't think schools should share CAGs with students and I don't think Universities should take them into account. This post from Peterhouse admissions sums it up pretty well:

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
The reason why we are not taking schools' approaches into account is because some schools are more likely to approach us than others. We do not wish students to be impacted by the willingness or reluctance of their school or of individual teachers to get in touch with us. We see this type of approach in 'standard' years with Extenuating Circumstances: some schools will contact us about trivial matters 'just in case', where others do not. Nor do we wish to receive school rankings: again, some schools are more likely to send these than others, on the basis that they may 'help' their students. By giving a blanket policy on them, we are making it clear that we do not wish to receive this information and that we will not take it into account.

It's also worth noting that because schools will have given CAGs on different grounds, students from harsher schools would be disadvantaged compared to more generous schools.

Schools shouldn't share them with students because it simply doesn't matter. You got the grade you got, not much you can do about it now but resits.
:ditto:

Although the Autumn series isn't a resit
Reply 3
I wouldn’t like to personally, but it would be interesting to see if my geography teacher would give my a 6 as usual when all my grades are 9s :colonhash: Do report grades count as evidence, even if they don’t line up with my actual grades I’m getting on mocks etc.?
Original post by 04MR17
:ditto:

Although the Autumn series isn't a resit

true, true. I'm going to keep saying resits though and you can't stop me :tongue:
Original post by Moonbow
I wouldn’t like to personally, but it would be interesting to see if my geography teacher would give my a 6 as usual when all my grades are 9s :colonhash: Do report grades count as evidence, even if they don’t line up with my actual grades I’m getting on mocks etc.?

What do you mean 'evidence'?
Original post by Theloniouss
true, true. I'm going to keep saying resits though and you can't stop me :tongue:

:judge:
Reply 7
What do you mean 'evidence'?

Would school report grades be considered as something that could be used for teacher assessment for our actual grades? My predicted grades on these are always much lower than I am actually getting, as my school is quite cautious on what they give out.
I realise I’m just spiralling into waffle territory now :tongue:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moonbow
Would school report grades be considered as something that could be used for teacher assessment for our actual grades? My predicted grades on these are always much lower than I am actually getting, as my school is quite cautious on them.

What do you mean though? Teachers are probably just using whatever evidence they have
It would be utterly pointless and more likely mean a lot of students will feel aggrieved.
What do you mean though? Teachers are probably just using whatever evidence they have

The grades I’m getting in exams is much higher than what my school is predicting (on termly reports) I would get. Don’t worry, I’m sure it’ll work out ok :smile:
I'm not sure, but is this what the wee teenage girl was complaining about on the radio yesterday? I was making 'wah! wah!' eye rubbing motions so much I almost crashed my car. :tongue:

Acht, I'm older, but it's seeing kids exclaim in outrage 'THEY WON'T DARE THROW A GENERATION ON THE SCRAP HEAP!" ...and resisting telling them that they've thrown generations straight down the toilet for a lot less and pretty damn often. (Standard grades, YTS, Skillseekers ect)
I don’t think schools should be obligated to tell students their CAGs, but I would be interested to know. I also don’t think if your CAG and actual grade is different that the CAG should be considered or weighted by unis. You got the grades you got and unless there’s been malpractice in the grade you received, I would say your best bet is to sit exams or talk to your unis.
Having worked in a school for 9years I am appalled that Scotland have upgraded results!!! Especially as I know teachers over grade predictikns and at least 90% of the estimated grades are always higher and give students a false sense that they are are that level. Over all they are always over graded so I am disgusted that Svotland have upgraded results. Also this crsp about being down graded because they live in a not so affluent area is a bunch of bollix too!! Yes I am mad as hell the kids should be made to sit exams at Christmas. Get over it and get on with it!!!

someone sounds confident of getting good grades
Original post by royalty1702
someone sounds confident of getting good grades

Not confident at all lol
Not confident at all lol

which uni do you want to go to? And for what course?
Original post by Iknow016
Having worked in a school for 9years I am appalled that Scotland have upgraded results!!! Especially as I know teachers over grade predictikns and at least 90% of the estimated grades are always higher and give students a false sense that they are are that level. Over all they are always over graded so I am disgusted that Svotland have upgraded results. Also this crsp about being down graded because they live in a not so affluent area is a bunch of bollix too!! Yes I am mad as hell the kids should be made to sit exams at Christmas. Get over it and get on with it!!!

As someone who has been a student for 14 years (ages 4-18) I am appalled at being screwed over by the education system at every point. We were the first to do reformed GCSE’s, A-levels were also reformed when we started and now we’re getting grades in very uncertain times. I understand where you’re coming from in that the teacher predicted grades were over predictions but instead of posting a comment with multiple spelling errors directing your annoyance at students, why not direct your annoyance to the fact your fellow teachers couldn’t accurately predict students to begin with? Even if they over predicted for our benefit, they’re the reason so many grades are being reduced and they made a choice to try and fudge the system. So much for teachers being professionals. How many of them over predicted grades in order to improve their salary next year because yes, as you should be aware, since 2014 teachers can move up the pay scale depending on how well their class has done. I highly doubt that there are many teachers out their who over predicted for selfish reasons, I think they are the very very minority. But still, it’s not just students at fault here. Everyone is at fault but whilst these August results don’t affect your life, they affect our future.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by royalty1702
which uni do you want to go to? And for what course?

Cambridge, Natural Sciences.
Cambridge, Natural Sciences.

Will you be taking the autumn exams if you don't make it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending