The Student Room Group

How expensive is it really to live out for uni

How expensive is it if your not clubbing/going out etc. I always hear uni students being broke because they 'live in halls' is it really that expensive? Can you survive with just the loans you get or do you need a part-time job?
Thanks!
Original post by Lifeismad
How expensive is it if your not clubbing/going out etc. I always hear uni students being broke because they 'live in halls' is it really that expensive? Can you survive with just the loans you get or do you need a part-time job?
Thanks!

I survived off just the loans, as I was sensible with choosing a cheap accommodation so had a good amount left over for food and anything else I wanted to do.
Reply 2
Unless your household income is below the threshold, parents are expected to help out financially so you shouldn't be living just off the maintenance loan. Alcohol at pubs and clubs and take-away meals are a good way to waste money.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
I survived off just the loans, as I was sensible with choosing a cheap accommodation so had a good amount left over for food and anything else I wanted to do.

How much was your rent weekly?
How much was your rent weekly?

it was about £75 but I did have a 50 week contract which is quite a long one
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
it was about £75 but I did have a 50 week contract which is quite a long one

Ah okay! I think my rent will be between 100-135 depending on which accommodation I end up getting, so stressful, I'm just not sure if I'll be able to manage
Why are so many people asking about being able to live off loans now and accommodation being a big chunk of their loan? I know that cost of living is much higher in some places like London (I’ve actually lived in London before) and the south, but I didn’t apply for accommodation. I went straight for share housing and I managed to snag a double bedroom with an en suits for £95 a week. Where do you people live??? Why are halls so expensive for a poxy little single bed?
Ah okay! I think my rent will be between 100-135 depending on which accommodation I end up getting, so stressful, I'm just not sure if I'll be able to manage

Go for the cheapest one and I think you could manage
Original post by Anonymous
Why are so many people asking about being able to live off loans now and accommodation being a big chunk of their loan? I know that cost of living is much higher in some places like London (I’ve actually lived in London before) and the south, but I didn’t apply for accommodation. I went straight for share housing and I managed to snag a double bedroom with an en suits for £95 a week. Where do you people live??? Why are halls so expensive for a poxy little single bed?

That is super cheap. Definitely will be city dependent but I live in one of the more expensive cities in the UK and pay 500 a month (excluding bills, not en-suite). This is also shared housing with some friends
However friends I have in cheaper cities only spend about 300-400 a month on accomodation.
It is so city dependent
Original post by AzureCeleste
That is super cheap. Definitely will be city dependent but I live in one of the more expensive cities in the UK and pay 500 a month (excluding bills, not en-suite). This is also shared housing with some friends
However friends I have in cheaper cities only spend about 300-400 a month on accomodation.
It is so city dependent

Mine is bills included too. It is very city dependant that’s true, and even then it’s also postcode dependant as some areas here have rent about £450+ for share housing, bills included but not even en-suite. En suite looking at about £500+, hut where I’m moving into is average £350-£400 bills included and en suite. Just depends on the city and the area

Add bills and that goes over what you pay for an a single ensuite with all bills included
Original post by TheStarboy
Add bills and that goes over what you pay for an a single ensuite with all bills included

The £95 is bills included
Reply 12
The £95 is bills included

What city are you in pls 😩😂
What city are you in pls 😩😂

Sheffield, property is in S11. It’s a converted church
Reply 14
Sheffield, property is in S11. It’s a converted church

The prices I listed above are for Sheffield Accom 😭
What's shared housing like? Is it secure? How do you go about finding them? (so many questions, I know lol)
(edited 3 years ago)
It depends where you are going, what loan and scholarships you are entitled to, whether your family will be helping you financially, and your lifestyle. Lots of variables.
The prices I listed above are for Sheffield Accom 😭
What's shared housing like? Is it secure? How do you go about finding them? (so many questions, I know lol)

There’s a website called spareroom where you can filter what you want (location so Sheffield, then max rent you want to pay, if you want double or single, if you want en suite. You can even do female only houses or lgbt bourses etc. It’s very good) and then whatever rooms are available will come up. It will tell you preferences (I did have double finding one that would allow 18 year olds) and then you just get in touch with the landlord. You have to pay a security deposit though and a holding deposit, and then 1 month rent up front for month and ideally have a guarantor (I used my parents, easy) and then boom. £95 a week bills included for a double en suite in s11, nice area and good travelling distance to uni. And yeah, I’d say they’re secure, but I haven’t actually moved in yet so?? Idk. But you do get a key for your room so think of it like a flat. But loads of people do share houses, not just students but graduates and even working professionals in their 30’s. It’s just the way of the property market now, only way some people can afford to rent.
That really depends on how well you budget, I know people with poor loans who can budget well and shop only for necessities, whilst others fritter it away in takeaways or expensive food and clothes. Make a budget plan and stick to it, find part time work if you want to afford more materialistic things or eating out etc.

Quick Reply

Latest