The Student Room Group

Results day nervous and my plans

Hey guys,
Dying over here. I am thinking a lot of things and making a lot of Plan Bs.
Since I have been hoping for the worst, I am expecting to fail my alevels. My mock exams haven't been really great so I expect to get CCC at best. However, my offers are BBB or BCC.
Anyways, so I was looking through clearing courses and the courses I want to do at best requires ABB or BBB. However, let's say I end up getting Es or Us or Ds. If my grades are really low, even if those courses have vacancies, will they let me in?
Original post by sujana
Hey guys,
Since I have been hoping for the worst, I am expecting to fail my alevels. My mock exams haven't been really great so I expect to get CCC at best. However, my offers are BBB or BCC.
Anyways, so I was looking through clearing courses and the courses I want to do at best requires ABB or BBB. However, let's say I end up getting Es or Us or Ds. If my grades are really low, even if those courses have vacancies, will they let me in?

universities will have an utter minimum they will consider so if you're far off their requirements in clearing then you probably wouldn't get in, I'd look into foundation years in clearing. which course is it you want to study?
Original post by sujana
Hey guys,

Hey there! Sorry to hear you're feeling really nervous, you may well have done better than you think and it's good that you're making some Plan Bs either way. If you feel like you want some advice on this, we're holding a Q&A with UCAS & the Head of Student Support at a university to answer questions about Results and Clearing. If you want to you can ask your question here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6604902 and then we can get you some support and guidance. :smile:
Original post by sujana
Hey guys,

If a uni is looking for BBB and you have D grades or lower, it is unlikely they will let you in. You might have to consider doing a foundation year, or taking autumn exams and reapplying.
Original post by sujana
Since I have been hoping for the worst.

Firstly, I'm guessing you meant 'hoping' for the best, expecting the worst. Either that or you're incredibly pessimistic!
Original post by sujana
However, let's say I end up getting Es or Us or Ds. If my grades are really low, even if those courses have vacancies, will they let me in?

Very unlikely in my view. They will probably accept one or two grades down overall, but getting a D, E, or U will put you bottom of the pile in terms of filling up any remaining places (sorry if that sounds harsh). Unless you're applying for one of the lowest-ranked uni's on a course which is widely-known to be less popular (i.e. having a lot of spare places), your chances are limited:s-smilie:
Hi Sujana,

We're the Central Foundation Years team at University of Sussex - if you'd like to chat through Foundation Year options on Results Day, then please do get in touch, and our team will be happy to advise.

Wishing you all the best! :smile:
Original post by sujana
Hey guys,

wow at least , you've sit the mock exam... our school's physics teacher hasn't carried out any mock exam last academic year... and still cannot understand how he could evaluate our grades....
Reply 7
Original post by universalcj
wow at least , you've sit the mock exam... our school's physics teacher hasn't carried out any mock exam last academic year... and still cannot understand how he could evaluate our grades....

I mean really? He had almost a year to give you guys one. We had one official mock in school but for physics we had more little tests and I like to think I did quite well in those. But maths and chemistry I completely flunked in so honestly I am not expecting much in terms of my grades. I have no idea how he can guess an estimated grade especially now that you had no mocks done.
Original post by sujana
I have no idea how he can guess an estimated grade especially now that you had no mocks done.

that's what even I want to ask him
again, he has just given 1 unit test for SUVAT and consistently has insisted that that's enough
Original post by claireestelle
universities will have an utter minimum they will consider so if you're far off their requirements in clearing then you probably wouldn't get in, I'd look into foundation years in clearing. which course is it you want to study?

I’m hoping to do a foundation year .. I need ABB but do you think they will be even more flexible because it is a foundation year?
Original post by gilliewolf
I’m hoping to do a foundation year .. I need ABB but do you think they will be even more flexible because it is a foundation year?

dropping a grade or two for any course can mean people still get accepted.
If you get Ds and Es, it's extremely unlikely that somewhere you want to go will take you, even with all the uncertainty this year.

If you significantly underperform, I would advise taking the autumn exams on offer, working hard for those, and getting grades you know better reflect your ability.

Good luck.
Reply 12
Original post by claireestelle
dropping a grade or two for any course can mean people still get accepted.

Foundation year requires a really low entry requirement. I was actually looking into those but the thing is that foundation year is an extra year which I have to pay for
Original post by sujana
Foundation year requires a really low entry requirement. I was actually looking into those but the thing is that foundation year is an extra year which I have to pay for

depends on what career you go into, you might not ever pay the loan back for the extra year before the 30 years is up.
Reply 14
Hello can someone answer quickly
I was just wondering how do you get your results the quickest so you just keep refreshing the ucas page, I’m just confused how do u do it
Reply 15
Original post by Yryge
Hello can someone answer quickly
I was just wondering how do you get your results the quickest so you just keep refreshing the ucas page, I’m just confused how do u do it

It depends on your school. My school is emailing it to me around 8am. Some students might need to login to a online portal or actually visit the school to get them. But if you go onto your UCAS track at 8am it should be updated. You CANNOT see your actual grades but you will be able to see if you are successful in securing a place at either your firm or insurance choice. If not, you will automatically go into clearing and that usually means that you didn't get the grades you needed or wanted. Hope that helps. And good luck :smile:
But contact your school now or your friends maybe to see how your school is giving it to you. I think 8am is about the earliest you can get results at. I have heard some people had their Track updated around 7:30 last year but I am not sure
Reply 16
But should I keep refreshing the page as it usually crashes
Reply 17
Original post by Yryge
But should I keep refreshing the page as it usually crashes

That's what I am planning to do but dont expect anything before 8 and after that maybe dont refresh too much just twice a minute maybe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending